Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Learning Irish/General Queries Thread.

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

zeebre12 wrote: »
    I just saw this question in a sliocht and just want to make sure I have the right meaning 'Cad a bhi o Una sa siopa ealaine?'

"What did Una want in the art shop?"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Tá ceist agam, conas a deir tú 'you are welcome' tar éis 'go raibh maith agat'?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Is é do bheatha.

"Tá fáilte romhat" is heard regularly but it means that you are welcoming somebody as you would into your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Tá ceist agam, conas a deir tú 'you are welcome'? tar éis 'go raibh maith agat'?

Is éard atá in Focloir.ie ná:
    'Thank you.' 'You're welcome.' 'Go raibh maith agat.' 'Ná habair é.'; 'Míle buíochas.' 'Tá fáilte romhat

Thanks for the replies, but yeah tá failte romhat sounds wrong to me for this case, too close to a direct translation which is why I wanted to ask here. Ná habair é is also a bit of béarlachas isn't it?

Is é do bheatha - is that not the start of the Hail Mary?

• Advertisement

I asked around a few other places and was recommended 'Go ndéana a mhaith duit', which to me seems like a more 'irish' expression

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

'sé do bheatha is a nice phrase as well, if you're looking to use both for variety. It's not just used for the Hail Mary. You'll find it in the lyrics of Óró Sé Do Bheatha Abhaile too. :D

'sé do bheatha is a nice phrase as well, if you're looking to use both for variety. It's not just used for the Hail Mary. You'll find it in the lyrics of Óró Sé Do Bheatha Abhaile too. :D
    What does it literally mean?

What does it literally mean?

Literally, "it's your life", but I'd interpret it as being similar to "cheers" or wishing someone good health.

Literally, "it's your life", but I'd interpret it as being similar to "cheers" or wishing someone good health.
    I thought so, which in English is a bit like 'whatever' :D But ok, good to know! I am really struggling at the moment to remember all the old phrases and grammar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

It's not akin to " whatever"!!
    'Go ndéana a mhaith duit', which you mentioned, is a very good way of saying it.

It's not akin to " whatever"!!
    'Go ndéana a mhaith duit', which you mentioned, is a very good way of saying it.
    I know (now), I just meant that the english translation of it sounds like the english way of saying 'i don't care' or 'whatever'

I know (now), I just meant that the english translation of it sounds like the english way of saying 'i don't care' or 'whatever'

That's exactly why I was reluctant to give you a direct, literal (word-for-word) translation of the phrase. Idioms don't often transfer nicely from one language to another. In English, "It's your life" is an awful, passive-aggressive little phrase. In Irish, "Is é do bheatha" is a nice way to welcome somebody or to show your appreciation. As I said above, it's a bit more like "Cheers" or "Here's to you!"

It's also used as 'welcome' as in welcome to Ireland etc.
    Óró sé do bheatha abhaile means welcome home.

In Dracula, welcome to the Carpathian mountains is translated "sé do bheatha go dtí na sléibhte cairpe'.

Actually Dracula also says:
    “Is é do bheatha chun mo thíse. Tar isteach de do dheoin agus le do shaorthoil féin!”

"Welcome to my house! Enter freely and of your own free will!"

That's exactly why I was reluctant to give you a direct, literal (word-for-word) translation of the phrase. Idioms don't often transfer nicely from one language to another. In English, "It's your life" is an awful, passive-aggressive little phrase. In Irish, "Is é do bheatha" is a nice way to welcome somebody or to show your appreciation. As I said above, it's a bit more like "Cheers" or "Here's to you!"

But the interesting thing about idioms, and also why I was curious to know what it literally translates to.. if I use that talking to other people who aren't familiar with it (which could be a lot of irish speakers in my case) isn't there a chance they will also translate it literally and think I am being passive aggressive? Although this is probably beyond the scope of this thread and I don't want to english it up much more ;)

Advertisement