Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

help me-must brush up on gaeilge!!please?!

Options
  • 21-08-2008 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

hi all

i've just been accepted to do Primary Teaching in St.Pats but unfort it was three years ago when i did my Leaving Cert and although i was good at irish then - my gaeilge has faded a bit....really want to use the next month to brush up as most other students will be straight from their Leaving Cert and it will be fresh in their minds you know??
    does anyone have any tips on the best way to do this....books i could buy/cds?anything like that??
    thanks a million:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭VW08

Could you spend a week or 2 in an irish speaking area? It could make a nice holiday, and you'd be learning aswell!!

I think the best way to learn something, is when you put it into practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭nubineeprincess

yeah that would be great but to be honest i dont have time...
    im working up until i go back(need the ol' yoyos for college you know?:D)
    yeah would love a way to practice....but dont have one to be honest...
    like i know its in there somewhere:rolleyes:
    but just cant quite get it out there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭VW08

Would you consider taking grinds in it?

Maybe you could buy a phrase book and learn off a few phrases every week for a month. Just a few lines that you could put into the conversation, that would make you sound good. :)

This might help..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=245889

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

How about going to a conversational group in your area once a week? That's what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Má tá cleachtadh uait, scríobh anseo as Gaeilge - tá sé chomh simplí sin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 gramhar

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Má tá cleachtadh uait, scríobh anseo as Gaeilge - tá sé chomh simplí sin.

sar smaoineamh, dar liomsa

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

You'll get to spend 3 weeks in the Gaeltacht as part of your college course anyway, so don't worry too much about it. You'll have lectures in Irish as well which are there to help you improve.

Don't worry about it, just enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭martinf

Hi What part of Dublin are you living in? If you're anywhere near Lucan I'd like to have some kind of conversation group/class going (but my irish is limited enough in terms of conversation so I really need the practice). I know there's one in Clondalkin at Aras Chronain (may not be spelt correctly)as well as a few around the city which might be useful. Perhaps someone here could point you in the right direction.

At the end of the day I wouldn't worry about people coming straight from their leaving cert having a great level of Irish. The majority of spoken Irish they've done will likely have gone into their oral exam - at least if they're like me - and they may be no more able to hold an ad lib conversation than anyone else. You'll get plenty of practice in college - best of luck with it.

Martin

Advertisement