Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea launches Buy Back scheme, giving voucher refund of up to 50% of used furniture

• 18-05-2021 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/ikea-buy-back-unwanted-furniture-ireland-706205

If you own Ikea furniture that is now unwanted, you can pop to this link and see how much Ikea will give you to return it - apparently you don't even need to unflatpack (if that's a word...)

Pricing structure

As new – no scratches: 50% of the original price
    Very good – minor scratches: 40% of original price
    Well-used – several scratches: 30% of original price

If Ikea accepts your products for resale, you will receive an IKEA refund card for the agreed amount.

Refund cards are redeemable for an unlimited period of time from the date of issue and can be used in store (excluding our Bistro's, Restaurants or Swedish Food Markets) or online, on all products except IKEA Food.

Products you can return

The specific products that are eligible for the buy back scheme are listed here but will include the following:

All dressers, office drawer cabinets, small structures with drawers, display storage, sideboards
    Bookcases and shelf units
    Small tables
    Multimedia furniture
    Cabinets
    Dining tables and desks
    Chairs and stools (excl upholstered or leather chairs and stools)
    Chest of drawers
    Children’s products (excluding Baby products as below)
    PAX accessories

Products you cannot return

Non-IKEA products
    Hacked or modified products
    Non-assembled IKEA products
    Products that have been used outside including outdoor furniture
    Mattresses & Bed Textiles (such as Blankets and Mattress toppers)
    Sofas / armchairs
    Other soft good (pillows, towels, curtains etc.)
    Items containing glass
    Kitchens including worktops, cabinets and fronts
    PAX Wardrobes
    Other over-sized items
    Appliances and other electrical items
    Baby products such as cots, mattresses and changing tables
    Upholstered or leather products
    Market hall products
    Non-furniture items

This was due to launch last November after some pilot schemes in smaller regions, but was delayed due to the second lockdown.... and then the third. Heard on the radio news this morning though that it is now up and running.

How does it work?

Follow the step-by-step process using the buy back estimator tool. You pick the type of furniture it is, make a judgement of the condition, and it gives you an estimate of the buyback value.

You scan the QR code it gives, then need to take it into a participating store. There will be a physical inspection where the estimate will be reviewed and a final price confirmed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Getting a fully assembled item back to IKEA for inspection will probably rule this out for most people. Great idea in theory, tricky to use in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

The fact that you can't return something that isn't assembled is odd.

Pique wrote: »

Surely you just return an unassembled item for full refund?
    This is for used furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭djdunny

bubblypop wrote: »
    Surely you just return an unassembled item for full refund?
    This is for used furniture

Im pretty sure he means an item of furniture that has been assembled but may be small enough to carry into store fully intact - rather than reduced back down to its flatpack state.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Because a bit might be missing that renders the whole unit useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Because a bit might be missing that renders the whole unit useless.

They will likely check it anyway. Ikea's customer service for missing parts is usually fantastic so doubt that would cause an issue. Unless it something that is end of line.

djdunny wrote: »
    Im pretty sure he means an item of furniture that has been assembled but may be small enough to carry into store fully intact - rather than reduced back down to its flatpack state.

Ah yes!!
    Of course, I see now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭PCros

When I was going through the process there is no option for the Dublin store.

Are we sure this is applicable to Ireland as it just has all the UK stores?

PCros wrote: »
    When I was going through the process there is no option for the Dublin store.

Are we sure this is applicable to Ireland as it just has all the UK stores?

From 31st May. https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/customer-service/terms-conditions/ikea-buy-back-service-terms-and-conditions-pub9e989950

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

If anyone has one of these discontinued items from Ikea for sale let me know - can't find anywhere and current one broken. :)

553472.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Probably a requirement to ensure that all the pieces are still there.
    Does make it tricky to bring the furtniture / shelving unit back to the store, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

"Non-assembled IKEA products"

I took this to mean items that don't require assembly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Some stuff in my house I just checked and youd get a better deal on adverts.ie tbh (corner sofa/sofa bed, chaise longue). But I'm sure it'll be handy for some things

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

IKEA said that used products returned as good as new with no scratches will be bought for 50% of the original price, while items with minor scratches will be bought for 40%.

Furniture that is well used with several scratches will be bought for 30%, it added.

Full Article:>> https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0630/1232175-ikea-buy-back-service/
    IKEA's Buy Back service has been officially launched in Ireland as part of the furniture maker's commitment to becoming fully "circular" and climate positive by 2030.

The new service encourages customers to sell back IKEA furniture that they no longer need. In return they receive a voucher to spend at the store for use when they need something.

The furniture will be resold by IKEA within their Circular Hubs (previously Bargain Corner), at cheaper prices, thereby giving a second life to IKEA products.

The company said this helps to prevent perfectly useable materials from entering landfill unnecessarily.

IKEA said that used products returned as good as new with no scratches will be bought for 50% of the original price, while items with minor scratches will be bought for 40%.

Furniture that is well used with several scratches will be bought for 30%, it added.

It would be interesting to know if people are getting back good amounts of returns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting.

More on the Ikea website here: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/customer-service/services/buy-back-estimator-tool-pubc644de60

There are a lot of exclusions ...
    Hacked or modified products
    Non-assembled IKEA products
    Products that have been used outside including outdoor furniture
    Mattresses & Bed Textiles (such as Blankets and Mattress toppers)
    Sofas / armchairs
    Other soft good (pillows, towels, curtains etc.)
    Items containing glass
    Kitchens including worktops, cabinets and fronts
    PAX Wardrobes
    Other over-sized items
    Appliances and other electrical items
    Baby products such as cots, mattresses and changing tables
    Upholstered or leather products
    Market hall products
    Non-furniture items
    Products purchased more than 7 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

JTMan wrote: »
    Interesting.

More on the Ikea website here: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/customer-service/services/buy-back-estimator-tool-pubc644de60

Looks like more exclusions than inclusions

Also the price isn't great

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

I can see a rise in domestic disturbances with rows erupting during the disassembly process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I can see a rise in domestic disturbances with rows erupting during the disassembly process.

Because the rows assembling can be a sight to behold! Can almost break a couple :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

JTMan wrote: »
    Interesting.

Those exclusions don't leave a whole lot included.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The exclusions include "Non-assembled IKEA products", so I'd read that as being you don't need to disassemble anything. Whatever about putting it together, I'd say taking apart some IKEA furniture would be an absolute nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Zaph wrote: »
    The exclusions include "Non-assembled IKEA products", so I'd read that as being you don't need to disassemble anything. Whatever about putting it together, I'd say taking apart some IKEA furniture would be an absolute nightmare.
    I'd read that ask products you either never put together OR items what didn't need any assembly in the first place. If either is true, it's a little bizarre?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Zaph wrote: »

The issue with IKEA furniture is that it tends to go together once.

When you dismantle it and reassemble it , it turns out well dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Greenwashing at it's best.
    Do the exclusion include their pencils :(

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

GBX wrote: »
    Because the rows assembling can be a sight to behold! Can almost break a couple :pac:

Yep, been there, almost did that . . not recommended.
    Built this GIANT TV cabinet thing, it weighed a tonne . . . .had to move it before everything was already tightened up etc and when lifting it, someone grabbed the end instead of supporting the middle and snap . . .it folded in on itself. . . . we had been at this for atleast an hour or so . . .

I fired it out the back door and went on the beer . . .I put it back together a few days later with wood glue and non IKEA parts, turned out great.

We're still together 10 years later but it was touch and go for a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

GBX wrote: »

True story - there was a couples therapy show on some channel a good few years ago now (I’m guessing 10ish) and the observers (counselors and shrinks) would observe the couple building a piece of ikea furniture to observe the dynamics of the couple. There would inevitably be a row. I always found it very funny that they picked this as the task.

I my household I put almost everything together, it is never a joint operation. We hired someone once to put a big piece together. Saves a lot of arguments!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭event

.42. wrote: »
    The issue with IKEA furniture is that it tends to go together once.

When you dismantle it and reassemble it , it turns out well dodgy.

Yeah I dont think they are designed to be dismantled

Non-assembled products aren't included. In other words, the product must be assembled.

They're not gonna take a box of parts off you. They'll take your fully assembled Billy bookcase and give you 30% of the price, then they'll drag it over to the clearance section and presumably sell it at 50% of it's price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

Weird

A store furniture store taking stuff back

Why would they bother

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

KKV wrote: »
    Non-assembled products aren't included. In other words, the product must be assembled.

They're not gonna take a box of parts off you. They'll take your fully assembled Billy bookcase and give you 30% of the price, then they'll drag it over to the clearance section and presumably sell it at 50% of it's price.

Yeah and it also changes the Bargain Corner somewhat. Id be fine with buying an item that was just returned for whatever reason but is still passed fit for sale with opened packaging and a 30-40% discount. But I wouldnt have any interest in items that were used by someone for a few years then sold back to Ikea who sell them on again.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah and it also changes the Bargain Corner somewhat. Id be fine with buying an item that was just returned for whatever reason but is still passed fit for sale with opened packaging and a 30-40% discount. But I wouldnt have any interest in items that were used by someone for a few years then sold back to Ikea who sell them on again.

Why is that, out of curiousity? Assuming you can have a look at it before buying, I don't really think I see the difference, if I'm honest.

Advertisement