Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch recommendations up to €2k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Making a similar decision myself soon for a big birthday. Anyone have thoughts on a Rado Captain Cook?

Rado do cool ceramic cases - if you like their design ethos I'd say you'd enjoy the brand.

I think new - they won't be holding on to their price (watches rarely do) - but that's not an issue for most people.

My father in law has a Rado ceramic quartz and it's as shiny and new as the day he bought it 10-15 years ago.

They do tungsten cases (or at least used to) for their iconic diastar models :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I'm taking all your points into consideration, thanks guys, I'm not sure if I should proceed or not

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm taking all your points into consideration, thanks guys, I'm not sure if I should proceed or not

Proceed on what? Buying the Jap watch? Or buying at all?
    Regarding the Japanese watch, as it's not a fullset not leaping at it is a good call.
    Consider it an example of what can be found from that side of the world maybe?

It's a big step IMO deciding to spend big money on a watch, especially without being able to handle it 1st.
    Let some of the well known 2nd hand dealers here in Ireland know you are looking for the model and see what they come across maybe?

Tomaskutty, iChrono spring to mind but I'm sure the lads here can add more to the list aswell as local jewellers and pawn shops and dealers.

banie01 wrote: »
    Proceed on what? Buying the Jap watch? Or buying at all?
    Regarding the Japanese watch, as it's not a fullset not leaping at it is a good call.
    Consider it an example of what can be found from that side of the world maybe?

It's a big step IMO deciding to spend big money on a watch, especially without being able to handle it 1st.
    Let some of the well known 2nd hand dealers here in Ireland know you are looking for the model and see what they come across maybe?

Tomaskutty, iChrono spring to mind but I'm sure the lads here can add more to the list aswell as local jewellers and pawn shops and dealers.

Yes sorry I should've been clear - the jap watch

Oh well the hunt continues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There's a dealer in Powerscourt shopping centre. I was there browsing one day, killing time, and he had loads at the time. Not sure of the name or how expensive he is.

I was in there before christmas, some nice watches but nothing priced. Unless you want to go through every watch saying "how much is that?" forget about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

redlead wrote: »
    2k is kind of a sticky in-between amount. There is tonnes of stuff you can get in the upper end of affordable to very bottom of entry luxury. At 3k you really open up options to more luxury pieces used.

Seamaster wise you'd definitely only be looking at quartz at under 2k unless you will accept a really banged up one. I've come to the conclusion that seamaster owners are the most abusive watch wearers known to man. There's some load of them in absolute bits floating around the place.

Presuming that you want a sports watch check out longines hydroconquest, Tag Heur Aquaracer, Oris Aquis - all can be got new within budget and are cool watches. Something left field from a micro brand is a formex reef. Looks to have a fantastic level of finishing and is COSC certified. For dress watches, Nomos are fantastic value and have great in house movements.

All the above are very good options within budget but as I say if you go up towards 3k you'd be within Omega, Tudor, Breitling territory depending on what you go for.

I'll second the Nomos recommendation.

If you don't mind a manual watch, the Tangente (their best looking watch imo) comes in under 2k, but you'll pay more for the automatic one (Tangente Neomatik).

I own a Tangente Neomatik and I love it, although the one thing (imo anyway) is it's not a watch you'd wear daily. It's more a dress watch imo, but still a great watch

The japenese watch seems to be sold, just as well because the image of it was burnt in my brain!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The japenese watch seems to be sold, just as well because the image of it was burnt in my brain!

You're unlikely to find one again for that sort of money, unless you are looking at the quartz model too? They are slightly cheaper.

Fun fact: Prince William has the smaller size (36mm) Seamaster 300M quartz since his mother gave it to him as a teenager. He wears it every day.

unkel wrote: »
    You're unlikely to find one again for that sort of money, unless you are looking at the quartz model too? They are slightly cheaper.

Fun fact: Prince William has the smaller size (36mm) Seamaster 300M quartz since his mother gave it to him as a teenager. He wears it every day.

No not looking at the quartz, I read about William's watch online during my research!

So basically what you're all agreed on is that I shouldn't spend more than 2.5k on a seamaster and patience is key?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Heard about that before too....i got a Pulsar Spoon from my mother when i was a teenager:pac:

I'm thinking, my search is too narrow. I shouldn't really care about the original box and papers should I? Be nice to have but it adds so much more to the price

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/sold-omega-seamaster-2531-80-one-owner-since-1998-safety-deposit-box-find.5305860/#post-53429210

I wanted to recommend this one - seems like it's sold now - but the watch is out there for those looking.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/sold-omega-seamaster-2531-80-one-owner-since-1998-safety-deposit-box-find.5305860/#post-53429210

I wanted to recommend this one - seems like it's sold now - but the watch is out there for those looking.

No worries, gonna keep on looking daily cheers

Also subject to 23% VAT and import admin fee. So not that cheap landed. Good price at $2600 (EUR2142) but you will have to add well over EUR500 to that

I'd say either source one in here in Ireland or at least in the EU. There are hundreds of thousands of this watch out there). Or if there really is EUR500 in it, prepare to go on a nice cheap holiday to the USA and on the way over, do not wear any watch (wink wink) :D

No worries, gonna keep on looking daily cheers

Watchrecon can give you daily search results/live updates on new watches becoming available.

Watchrecon can give you daily search results/live updates on new watches becoming available.

It's a brilliant little tool for tracking multiple sites for specific watches.
    I think it was you that 1st suggested this to me a while back too?

It's also far less intrusive and data grabby than watchcharts but that is another option to keep an eye on sales too.

Thanks guys, I am so in love with the 2531.80 I am THIS close to pulling the trigger on the 2900 one

Any reason you're only considering an automatic? I have a quartz Seamaster 300M 2541.80, in near perfect condition and lots and lots cheaper than any of the autos that were mentioned here. In near perfect condition, full set with box and papers, serviced last year with new battery and pressure test. The quartz case is a bit thinner than the auto (I've had them both) which surprised me, but makes it wear extremely comfortably

It's not for sale anywhere, but I have two other watches that I prefer wearing now, so this doesn't get much wrist time

Any reason you're only considering an automatic? I have a quartz Seamaster 300M 2541.80, in near perfect condition

All the wrist appeal, with far, far less cost of ownership.
    Lot cheaper when it comes to service time too.
    Great shout really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any reason you're only considering an automatic? I have a quartz Seamaster 300M 2541.80, in near perfect condition and lots and lots cheaper than any of the autos that were mentioned here. In near perfect condition, full set with box and papers, serviced last year with new battery and pressure test. The quartz case is a bit thinner than the auto (I've had them both) which surprised me, but makes it wear extremely comfortably

It's probably down to the inherent snobbery against quartz watches that seems to prevail in the watch scene?

As the owner of both types, it's always nice to lift a quartz you haven't worn in a few weeks and have it already telling the right time, and not have to fix time and date before you put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Fitz II

NIMAN wrote: »
    It's probably down to the inherent snobbery against quartz watches that seems to prevail in the watch scene?

As the owner of both types, it's always nice to lift a quartz you haven't worn in a few weeks and have it already telling the right time, and not have to fix time and date before you put it on.

Somebody says snob, and appears Fitz

Here my quartz tag...the horror ;)

PXL-20210514-171901662.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

That’s a cool watch. The guy I bought my BB58 from was wearing his late fathers Ti Aerospace, looked the bees knees in the metal, his reason for moving the Tudor.

I never appreciated them enough from photos alone.

banie01 wrote: »
    All the wrist appeal, with far, far less cost of ownership.
    Lot cheaper when it comes to service time too.
    Great shout really.

Yeah auto over quartz for me I think

Hi guys, based on the past while on chrono24, it looks like 2.9k to 3.1k is the going rate for a 2531.80 boxed and papers. Would I be getting robbed at that price? I see they are selling out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I think it’s too much. Chrono24 prices are inflated. Wouldn’t be fussed on box and papers with a watch of that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

david wrote: »
    I think it’s too much. Chrono24 prices are inflated. Wouldn’t be fussed on box and papers with a watch of that age.

Does that not carry the risk of getting stung by a rep without at least getting it checked by a jeweller?

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Does that not carry the risk of getting stung by a rep without at least getting it checked by a jeweller?

That what I'm thinking too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭893bet

MarcusP12 wrote: »

Have a look on done deal for the number of 400 euro Rolex complete with box and papers. They are easy bit to fake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement