Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can two people having their own policy on the same car?

• 17-04-2021 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

I know you can get on as a named driver but for various reasons not a runner.In times where we are being asked to use are cars less would it be that hard for insurance companies to word up something so people could share a car as opposed to having multi cars sitting outside a house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't think so.

I believe some swap ownership of the one car once a year and then swap who is the primary driver on a policy.

I think that prevents the NCB expiring.

But I'm not 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

cubix wrote: »
    I know you can get on as a named driver but for various reasons not a runner.In times where we are being asked to use are cars less would it be that hard for insurance companies to word up something so people could share a car as opposed to having multi cars sitting outside a house.

I believe it is legal but if there was a claim it would be split between the two policies on the car so both NCBs would be affected in the event of any claim on either policy and all claims would be split between policies. If you choose to not inform the either insurance company in the event of a claim that would be fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Car99 wrote: »
    I believe it is legal but if there was a claim it would be split between the two policies on the car so both NCBs would be affected in the event of any claim on either policy and all claims would be split between policies. If you choose to not inform the either insurance company in the event of a claim that would be fraud.

Interesting. Hardly worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭893bet

Car99 wrote: »

That makes no sense and I am guessing was made up on the spot. It is the person that is insured not the car. So who ever was driving, their policy would be claimed against. Same as if some one with a third party extension borrows my car and crashes their insurance pays, we don’t share it.

Now I have no idea if it’s allowed or not, or why one would pursue it but the previous post is not how it would work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Only the owner/leasee of a car can insure it. Duplicate policies leaves it open for fraud. i.e both claiming for a theft or fire for the same vehicle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

893bet wrote: »
    That makes no sense and I am guessing was made up on the spot. It is the person that is insured not the car. So who ever was driving, their policy would be claimed against. Same as if some one with a third party extension borrows my car and crashes their insurance pays, we don’t share it.

Now I have no idea if it’s allowed or not, or why one would pursue it but the previous post is not how it would work.

It is how it would work for fire and theft so someone is just extrapolating out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

893bet wrote: »

I am guessing.

I have no idea .

You are correct and correct and I am guessing you made your reply up on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Only the owner/leasee of a car can insure it. Duplicate policies leaves it open for fraud. i.e both claiming for a theft or fire for the same vehicle

This. You can't insure something you don't have an insurable interest in, so unless the people are married only the owner can have a policy on the vehicle.

Just coming back to update here

So ended up putting the car in the eldest lads name who has just started driving, has his theroy and provisional and supposedly the insurance company broker said his younger brother who does not have his theory test completed yet can be placed on as a named driver when he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

cubix wrote: »
    Just coming back to update here

So ended up putting the car in the eldest lads name who has just started driving, has his theroy and provisional and supposedly the insurance company broker said his younger brother who does not have his theory test completed yet can be placed on as a named driver when he does.

Nominating a person as the main driver is not an arbitrary decision. The main driver needs to be the main driver. If you lie to your insurance company about who the main driver is, you may find yourself driving uninsured.

Nominating a person as the main driver is not an arbitrary decision. The main driver needs to be the main driver. If you lie to your insurance company about who the main driver is, you may find yourself driving uninsured.

Route we went in the end all above board, originally I didnt think an insurance company would allow a first time driver to have a named driver on their policy hence the query about two people having their own policy on the same car.

Advertisement