Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

breezy1985 wrote: »
    So tell us what would you do?
    What is your suggestion for alleviating the overwhelmed hospitals in a pandemic

I'd probably go down the route that New Zealand, Australia, Thailand and Vietnam went down, lock down and close borders early then run clear information campaigns until we get to zero covid, then open up

• Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd probably go down the route that New Zealand, Australia, Thailand and Vietnam went down, lock down and close borders early then run clear information campaigns

That's not an option available to us though.
    Whilst we can certainly lock down ports and airports, we still have a land border with zero infrastructure.
    It is open to anyone within the UK to travel to N.I and cross unhindered.

Zero Covid is a valid strategy for a country that has the capability and the wherewithal to close its borders.
    That isn't something that Ireland has currently capacity or ability to do.

banie01 wrote: »
    That's not an option available to us though.
    Whilst we can certainly lock down ports and airports, we still have a land border with zero infrastructure.
    It is open to anyone within the UK to travel to N.I and cross unhindered.

Zero Covid is a valid strategy for a country that has the capability and the wherewithal to close its borders.
    That isn't something that Ireland has currently capacity or ability to do.

We have the capability, what we lacked was the political will, I'm sure if FG were willing to talk to their stormount counterparts we could have achieved zero covid on both sides of the border... Of course there's no political will to talk to the shinners so now we must all suffer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭banie01

We have the capability, what we lacked was the political will, I'm sure if FG were willing to talk to their stormount counterparts we could have achieved zero covid on both sides of the border... Of course there's no political will to talk to the shinners so now we must all suffer

The border couldn't be effectively locked down when it was actually militarised and had controlled crossing points.
    The British Army, the R.U.C and the Irish Army couldn't do it for 25yrs of the troubles, but somehow it's within our capability now?
    Locking down the land border is not possible in even the medium (5yr term).

As for the politics of the issue.
    The N.I executive are not going to halt travel within the UK as a matter of principle on the part of the Unionists.
    It doesn't matter how nicely we ask and has feck all to do with the shinners, they'd be only too happy to throw a spanner in the works of the United Kingdom and make it a little more disunited.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,332 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'd probably go down the route that New Zealand, Australia, Thailand and Vietnam went down, lock down and close borders early then run clear information campaigns until we get to zero covid, then open up

That has nothing got to do with the HSE

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    The border couldn't be effectively locked down when it was actually militarised and had controlled crossing points.
    The British Army, the R.U.C and the Irish Army couldn't do it for 25yrs of the troubles, but somehow it's within our capability now?
    Locking down the land border is not possible in even the medium (5yr term).

As for the politics of the issue.
    The N.I executive are not going to halt travel within the UK as a matter of principle on the part of the Unionists.
    It doesn't matter how nicely we ask and has feck all to do with the shinners, they'd be only too happy to throw a spanner in the works of the United Kingdom and make it a little more disunited.

What about a situation whereby if we made a deal with the executive to have all who enter our ports and airports on both sides of the border go into mandatory quarantine for 14 days? Would need a deal with the same politicians no?
    That has nothing got to do with the HSE

Correct, the government made a plan to live with covid using the HSE through measures such as the contact tracing system which completely buckled in November

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The DUP would prefer if people died rather than work with the Southern Government

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What about a situation whereby if we made a deal with the executive to have all who enter our ports and airports on both sides of the border go into mandatory quarantine for 14 days? Would need a deal with the same politicians no?

Have you never heard of the DUP? They wouldn't even agree to restrictions up North until they had no choice. There's not a hope in hell of them agreeing to doing anything in cooperation with the 'South', that means any restrictions to travel from the rest of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Has anyone else seen the videos doing the rounds of parties that took place in parts of Limerick in the last few days?

Have you never heard of the DUP? They wouldn't even agree to restrictions up North until they had no choice. There's not a hope in hell of them agreeing to doing anything in cooperation with the 'South', that means any restrictions to travel from the rest of the UK.

Well they are buddies with FG so they might listen to them, especially with the prospect of orange parades coming back I'd imagine... My point is they didn't try but if they tried and stormont refused I'd say fair enough!

• Advertisement

Well they are buddies with FG so they might listen to them, especially with the prospect of orange parades coming back I'd imagine... My point is they didn't try but if they tried and stormont refused I'd say fair enough!

God I love how privvy you are to the inner workings of state and the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Has anyone else seen the videos doing the rounds of parties that took place in parts of Limerick in the last few days?

I dont think the mods want to go down the route of discussing those involved in those parties....

We are banned from talking about that "ethnicity"...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I dont think the mods want to go down the route of discussing those involved in those parties....

We are banned from talking about that "ethnicity"...

Didn't mention anything like that, just asked if anyone had seen videos that are circulating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Couple of points to hopefully bring things back on track....

Mods have no problem with any discussions once those discussions are within the rules of boards.ie
    This is a regional forum, if you want to discuss international or national issues, this isn't the place.
    If you want to discuss things on other social media platforms feel free to share links, once everyone is able to have an open discussion that's fine but having vague references to "parties around Limerick" just isn't good enough, for example I got a lovely video of some relations in a park with their children, I know this isn't what is being referenced but alluding to something isn't good enough either. Remember however that if you choose to share something on boards.ie that you a responsible for adhering to the rules of boards.ie

Clareman wrote: »
    Couple of points to hopefully bring things back on track....

Mods have no problem with any discussions once those discussions are within the rules of boards.ie
    This is a regional forum, if you want to discuss international or national issues, this isn't the place.
    If you want to discuss things on other social media platforms feel free to share links, once everyone is able to have an open discussion that's fine but having vague references to "parties around Limerick" just isn't good enough, for example I got a lovely video of some relations in a park with their children, I know this isn't what is being referenced but alluding to something isn't good enough either. Remember however that if you choose to share something on boards.ie that you a responsible for adhering to the rules of boards.ie

Can I post the videos I was talking about?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Belt away, I don't know what the videos are BUT if they are in any way a breach of the terms or rules of boards you will admonished. 1 other thing I will say is if it isn't clear that the videos are relating to Limerick I will delete your posts but you could try to post them in the main Covid focum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Mod Snip

Mod Snip

Banned.

The original warning from the first post is still in effect, no problem with proper discussion but please try to keep it within the rules.

I won't go into who's buddies with who in politics because it has little to do with covid and even less to do with Limerick, I will say if you Google the 2 parties it's the 4th or 5th result down

Now back to Limerick and COVID eh?

83 new cases in Limerick today with 792 over the last 14 days so on an upward trend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Got a notification today that their was a confirmed positive case in our primary school, contact was on the 22nd but didn't receive notification until the 30th of being a close contact. Is such a big gap normal? We haven't got a test scheduled yet and only received word today. Seems like an excessive gap to me, 3-4 days might be acceptable but double that looks like something went seriously ary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Got a notification today that their was a confirmed positive case in our primary school, contact was on the 22nd but didn't receive notification until the 30th of being a close contact. Is such a big gap normal? We haven't got a test scheduled yet and only received word today. Seems like an excessive gap to me, 3-4 days might be acceptable but double that looks like something went seriously ary.

5 Days after would be the normal. From my experience the close contact text should contain a link for you to make a test appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Does anyone know the wait time for results at the moment? I know someone who got deferred for a test and have to wait 3 days for the test, I'm wondering if the wait for the result times have also increased?

Mrmoe wrote: »

Don't forget the 22nd was the day of the contact not the day they realised you were a contact so they are not twiddling their thumbs for a week with the info at hand.

Also did they say it was from the school. Isn't that against GDPR?
    Most people are never told who is their contact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Don't forget the 22nd was the day of the contact not the day they realised you were a contact so they are not twiddling their thumbs for a week with the info at hand.

Also did they say it was from the school. Isn't that against GDPR?
    Most people are never told who is their contact

I realise that the 22nd was the day of close contact and we weren't informed until the 30th. Taking the use guidelines of previous 48h it means that their is 6-7 days of someone sitting on their hands, either the family that it originated from or the hse or a combination of both. From today's press conference it looks like the test and trace system has collapsed. Unlikely to be tested now as a result. It's fortunate that we didn't go anywhere over Christmas even to elderly parents or close family.

With regard to the notification, it came from the school, identified the class but didn't name the individual. Direct HSE text came later.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭letsseehere14

203 cases here today and it doesn't take Sherlock to see why. Just over 2 weeks since the AI where so many pubs were let open on the qt and so many house parties happened. Coupled with the yearly influx of people into Rathkeale which according to the covid app is by far the worst affected area followed by NCW.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm back! Numbers look awful for Limerick, and that's probably going to continue for a couple of weeks.

My wife was in Aldi in castletroy last week, and won't be going back for a while. Mostly fine, but ruined by a pair of old ladies with no masks on, one of which was having a hell of a chat with someone on the phone, saying how all the fools were wearing masks, and how the virus was a con. Not a peep from the guy on the door.

Did a Tesco click and collect shop instead.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

203 cases here today and it doesn't take Sherlock to see why. Just over 2 weeks since the AI where so many pubs were let open on the qt and so many house parties happened. Coupled with the yearly influx of people into Rathkeale which according to the covid app is by far the worst affected area followed by NCW.

What's "the Al"?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭letsseehere14

MarkR wrote: »
    What's "the Al"?

All Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

MarkR wrote: »

My wife was in Aldi in castletroy last week, and won't be going back for a while. Mostly fine, but ruined by a pair of old ladies with no masks on, one of which was having a hell of a chat with someone on the phone, saying how all the fools were wearing masks, and how the virus was a con. Not a peep from the guy on the door.

Did a Tesco click and collect shop instead.

We were in Dunnes, Jetland, last night. We shop late to avoid people. Someone we recognised was in there not wearing a mask, talking to staff and eating grapes or whatever with his mouth open as he went around. Bold as brass. Didn't give a fiddlers. Nor did the staff.

Same guy was in at the same time two weeks previously. That time we gave him the benefit of the doubt and thought he might have forgotten his mask.

There are eejits everywhere....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'd keep an eye on that number. They seem to get regularly get changed the next day. The Covid app was showing 240 for Limerick on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day (can't remember which), but now both those days are showing around 80 cases.
    Now I don't expect such a huge change this time but the number may be different when uploaded to the app tomorrow.

Advertisement