Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Winter 2020/Spring 2021

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

More widespread potential for thunderstorms are showing up on the models for Saturday

Yk6Pjaq.gif

loU1OpM.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some very dark/threatening clouds over the Dublin Mountains have popped up in the last half an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Warning for thunderstorms - Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Leitrim, Armagh, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Leitrim
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Risk of thunderstorms this afternoon and evening. Heavy downpours bring a risk of localised flooding.

Valid: 12:00 Friday 14/05/2021 to 21:00 Friday 14/05/2021

Issued: 11:40 Friday 14/05/2021

Yellow - Thunderstorm Warning for Armagh, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

UK Met Office Weather Warning (www.metoffice.gov.uk)

Scattered heavy showers and thunderstorms bringing some local travel disruption.

Valid: 12:00 Friday 14/05/2021 to 20:00 Friday 14/05/2021

Issued: 09:45 Friday 14/05/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

A small but fairly potent cell has just popped up, just east of Blessington, on the Wicklow/Kildare border, south east of Naas. It's moving generally north, very slowly. Will be interested to see if it develops further but visible satellite imagery would suggest that it is growing. It may well just fade out though, like the earlier showers further east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Wasn't going to post this but might as well.
    A possible funnel cloud yesterday evening shortly after 8pm looking from near Coole Westmeath east towards going by the radar image Athboy.
    There was a nice line of convection heading southeast that really built up on the radar shortly afterwards.
    Its probably 25-30km from where i was so hard to tell but something definitely dropped from the cloud.

To the left of centre
    oznorTO.jpg
    A few minutes later
    oznorTO.jpg
    oznorTO.jpg
    rhdr.jpg
    Short zoomed in video, the phone couldn't focus properly.

Radar at the time, i was near the pink arrow.
    Screenshot-20210513-221021-com-android-chrome-edit-267462476663353.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thanks for that Lolie, hard to know. If it was that far away and that large then maybe not a funnel ? In Ireland I reckon I have only ever seen ropey type funnels. It wouldn't be from a chimney, I see big Board na Mona Bogs near Delvin but cant see any power stations in the area or big industry.

Interesting though, if only you get another view of it from another source.

Just my thoughts, intriguing set up tomorrow.

Large country wide cold pool aloft tomorrow, looks like a trough following the front tomorrow morning. Quite humid , temps low enough in general but maybe getting up around 14C or so with a DP over 11C in places. Quite a bit of Deep Layer Shear tomorrow which has been missing most days. Heavy thundery showers in places with a risk of hail. Thinking tomorrow has more potential of any day this week. Currently looks like thunderstorms could break in Munster and following on into Connaught and Leinster , maybe Ulster not featuring this time as the trough does not seem to go that far and the occluded front seems to be slow to break up over Northern counties. Met Eireann will probably wait to see how this pans out a bit more before issuing fairly widespread warnings. More chances for funnels tomorrow .

Cameras at the ready !

rPLcoJB.png

4vZ69mK.gif

zWFxhPc.png

Wrz1WqT.gif

ZFOCeYC.png

jmHZZo9.png

7lNJEEb.png

WxZca0C.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

I’d say it could mainly be Munster Meteorite but an interesting setup nonetheless :)

What was picked up today.

DLtTJJ9.png

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    I’d say it could mainly be Munster Meteorite but an interesting setup nonetheless :)

Yeah initially anyway and leaning more towards N Munster ,Limerick, Tipp and Clare might feature well and inland Cork and Waterford perhaps and possibly peaking in the afternoon and moving into parts of Connacht and Leinster.

Just making a guess where we might see the most returns, think could see thunderstorms within the grey area, more of a chance within the yellow and thunderstorms maybe peaking in the afternoon in the orange area. Will see.

xOw9vrt.png

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Yeah initially anyway and leaning more towards N Munster ,Limerick, Tipp and Clare might feature well and inland Cork and Waterford perhaps and possibly peaking in the afternoon and moving into parts of Connacht and Leinster.

Just making a guess where we might see the most returns, think could see thunderstorms within the grey area, more of a chance within the yellow and thunderstorms maybe peaking in the afternoon in the orange area. Will see.

xOw9vrt.png

Fairly spot on inland Munster, inland Leinster looks good over the earlier afternoon and then later in the afternoon south and mid Connacht with thunderstorms and showers moving slowly northeast. Flooding could be a issued with how slow they move. Interesting set up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I flew through the midlands yesterday and the site of those showers from the air was something else. It's like someone standing with a shower rose. Highdef, did you catch any drone footage?

I flew through the midlands yesterday and the site of those showers from the air was something else. It's like someone standing with a shower rose. Highdef, did you catch any drone footage?

I was working from home all day yesterday and was keeping an eye out but nothing of note developed in the locality so didn't send the drone up. There was a shower after lunchtime but nothing crazy. There were a few cells to my east in the afternoon that initially looked fantastic but were quickly covered by mid level cloud so I knew that there was no hope of aesthetically pleasing video to be had where I was.

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Leinster, Munster, Connacht

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Scattered thunderstorms this afternoon and evening, bringing some heavy downpours with a risk of hail and localised spot flooding.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 15/05/2021 to 21:00 Saturday 15/05/2021

Issued: 09:58 Saturday 15/05/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Some nice towers building visible in West Clare this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I reckon we'll see a lot of funnels today. Some vigorous low-level CAPE and low cloud-bases already here anyway. Keep the eyes peeled.

Heavy rain and thunder on the Clare, Limerick and Tipperary border..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Torrential shower just cleared Galway very dark to the South of Galway Bay, not a breath of wind warm in the Sun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Thanks for that Lolie, hard to know. If it was that far away and that large then maybe not a funnel ? In Ireland I reckon I have only ever seen ropey type funnels. It wouldn't be from a chimney, I see big Board na Mona Bogs near Delvin but cant see any power stations in the area or big industry.

Interesting though, if only you get another view of it from another source.

Definitely not from a chimney as it came from the clouds above. To far away to see if there was any rotation so impossible to tell if its a funnel or not.
    It was moving away south east and we couldn't try get closer with Lough Derravaragh in the way.
    The few funnels I've seen over the years have been from similar setups, slow moving convection moving down from the North over east Cavan into meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Banarol

couple of strikes near portarlington

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Those cells are certainly heating up as they approach mid Leinster and greater Dublin.

Humidity very high here in D15.

Thunder in Kildare

Nice flash there now

Nice convection getting going here in Kerry moving in a NE direction

SW breeze has freshened with good levels of sunshine getting up over 15C

Can see the convergence zones coming into effect with the line of showers developing

Em4Netv.png

5WuvUsy.png

Nice hefty storm near you Pad

6FOCPnH.png

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Will that hit Naas?

.42. wrote: »
    Will that hit Naas?

Heading that direction , meeting headwind so could stack up around there, could see this intensifying in the next hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

A couple of nearby strikes in my location by the looks of it on the radar (SW Laois), but nothing out of the ordinary so far.

Crazy strikes over Naas with instant thunder

• Advertisement

Drone going up in North kildare shortly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement