Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

May 2021

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Gaviscon is safe for use in pregnancy for heartburn....I suffered from it a lot.Found liquid gaviscon to be the best.Otherwise eating small and often and avoiding food in the evening was my other way to help deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

How's everyone getting on?

I'm getting excited, I think I've possibly started nesting as I've caught myself washing doors at 11pm at night :p (I'm usually not that into cleaning).

Think I've all the big things done so just the small stuff now!

Anyone here have their baby yet or a date for c section / induction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Mrs. Vagga was up finishing the painting on a room at 3am last night :)

She said it's the baby inside her that is making her tired. But I dunno, DIY tasks in the middle of the night could well be a factor too :D

As a Daddy, I am hoping to be able to be part of the birthing process. Right now, I'm only allowed into the building when active pregnancy is in flight. Its a horrible thing, as with our number 1, there were a few issues and complications at the early stages - today, she would be on her own during all of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rosie087

Less than a month to go for me now, but no dates for sections/inductions. Hoping an induction won't be necessary but sure we'll see. Baby was breech until the weekend so was delighted when she turned.

Doing a bit of painting and furniture assembly, but any regular cleaning has gone right out the window :rolleyes:

rosie087 wrote: »
    Less than a month to go for me now, but no dates for sections/inductions. Hoping an induction won't be necessary but sure we'll see. Baby was breech until the weekend so was delighted when she turned.

Doing a bit of painting and furniture assembly, but any regular cleaning has gone right out the window :rolleyes:

I'm considering getting a cleaning company in to give the place a proper scrub so I can focus on the odd jobs!

How did you know she turned? I've the babies head or bumb right up at my ribs, can't tell which

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    I'm considering getting a cleaning company in to give the place a proper scrub so I can focus on the odd jobs!

How did you know she turned? I've the babies head or bumb right up at my ribs, can't tell which

I only know she turned because I had an ultrasound. A previous scan had shown her breech and I could feel her head right up at my ribs too. I didn't feel her turn and assumed it was still her head up at my ribs so it was a nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭okeydokeys22

Hi all,

Can't believe I'm nearly at the 37 week mark.
    I'm back in hospital next week at 38 weeks and hopefully will get a date for my elective section. My baby is measuring over 40 weeks already so they've recommended a section which I'm happy to go with.

Hopefully will have baby in arms in two weeks, crazy stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tatevik

That's so exciting okeydokeys! Not long left at all! I'm 37 weeks on Saturday, due in with the community based midwifes tomorrow... will be interesting to see if baby is engaged yet, I feel like he/she has but I'm not certain... so hard to know what position they are in. Praying all is ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Hi all,

Can't believe I'm nearly at the 37 week mark.
    I'm back in hospital next week at 38 weeks and hopefully will get a date for my elective section. My baby is measuring over 40 weeks already so they've recommended a section which I'm happy to go with.

Hopefully will have baby in arms in two weeks, crazy stuff!

Exciting okeydokeys - hopefully baba will be here soon... mine will be a planned section too - they've told me no earlier than 39 weeks (unless there are any other concerns obv).. so itlk be last week of May. Its only really hitting me now that we'll be back to having a newborn baba in the house - my youngest will be 4 in October... are we mad starting over again!?!lol. My nearly 6 year old girl is super excited for baba to come along....

Hope everyone is keeping well... getting close now for everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Aurian_loh

I'm 35+6 today and was told by my midwife that I'm measuring 38 weeks so I'll be having a good size baby. She mentioned 8lbs 5oz which ties in with each of my earlier scans where the baby was in the larger size. Baby has not yet fully engaged so I'll be bouncing on the ball now. Mad to think that a baby will be here next month!!

• Advertisement

Any thoughts or opinions on nappies you intend to use. When we had number 1, we had great thoughts and ideas about cloth nappies; but gave up within 48 hours! We used eco-friendly nappies 80% of the time with him, but they are more expensive [and bio-degrade in 500 years and not 1000 years or something, so not all that much better!!].

Now we are older and wiser and wider! More organized, with stuff like changing tables, nappy bags, and how we would use things - we really want to actually make a proper go at some kind of more eco-friendly nappy.

So just doing research on the various options out there now, 5 years later - and how it would really work day to day!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gigglybits

I used cloth nappies on my now 4 year old and will be doing same when this one decides to pop out (37 weeks now). I got a loan from the cloth nappy library Ireland before baby came along to get to grips with the different types and how to put them together. I started off using regular nappies and about when baby was 5 weeks old switched over to cloth. Initially I used Little Lamb nappies then when baby got a bit bigger changed to using Bum Genius free times. There are different brands which vary in price, fit and drying times and you really have to try them out as they may not suit your baby. The simplest are square cloths that you fold in various ways, hold with a nappi nippa and cover with a wrap. The initial outlay seems a bit pricey but it is definitely cheaper overall than using plastic nappies. Plus I imagine with bins being weighed now, the cost is even more for disposal. There is also a big second hand market for cloth nappies.

Cleaning can be a bit of a put off for people. Luckily I had a shower hose that reached over a toilet. You also get into a rhythm with washing, where it doesn't feel like a chore. Nappies can be put back together while watching something on tv.

Anyway, I'm 37+2 now and crazy nesting instinct has disappeared and the tiredness has returned. Am hoping this means babies arrival is imminent. Will probably do regular nappies for first week while recovering then switch over to the cloth again.

My random searching has drawn me to Bambino Mio - Seems to have won awards for reusable nappies from a few sites - https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Bambino+Mio/page/143091E5-BF36-4FC8-BBF9-81B73C7782EB?ref_=ast_bln

So many many options :)

Aurian_loh wrote: »
    I'm 35+6 today and was told by my midwife that I'm measuring 38 weeks so I'll be having a good size baby. She mentioned 8lbs 5oz which ties in with each of my earlier scans where the baby was in the larger size. Baby has not yet fully engaged so I'll be bouncing on the ball now. Mad to think that a baby will be here next month!!

I'm 38 + 3 and not yet engaged so I'll be glued to the ball for the next week!

Maternity leave officially started today!

Had another check up and baby is engaged and I'm "favourable", induction provisionally booked for first week of May (due to the Gestational Diabetes).

Hospital bags packed, very excited now!

Aaahhh I'm so excited for you too.

I have my bags packed too but think I overdid it. Need to redo it as it looks like I'm going on a week long snow holiday. I followed the list the hospital provides but its all the blankets and towels they say to bring in. Will be packing a spare bag to leave with himself at home so he can bring them in if I run out of things.

rosie087 wrote: »
    I'm 38 + 3 and not yet engaged so I'll be glued to the ball for the next week!

I'm the exact same Rosie, 38 +3 today and still not engaged but nurse in the GP's said that was ok and that baby's head might not fully engage right up until labour! Didn't realise that but good to know.

Getting induced on Thursday at exactly 40 weeks, nervous as hell but so excited to be near the end and see my boy or girl finally

Getting induced on Thursday at exactly 40 weeks, nervous as hell but so excited to be near the end and see my boy or girl finally

ahhh I'm so excited for you!!! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

So exciting!! By the end of the week you'll have your baby in your arms 🀗

I've a few weeks to go but I'm so ready to meet my little guy.

Amazing that we're all nearly at the finish line! Hope everybody is keeping well.

• Advertisement

Any babies born yet?

I'm going into tomorrow morning, fingers crossed for me

Any babies born yet?

Not yet! 39+5 and still here. Going in on Thursday for induction.

Very exciting to think you'll have your baby in arms soon. Be sure to let us know how you get on.

The very best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gigglybits

Any babies born yet?

Best of luck, very exciting.

39+1 here, bouncing, walking, stomping...doing all I can to try and get things started.

Oh excited to hear about the first arrivals VERY soon... Best of luck ladies.... I'm down for a section for last week of May so another couple of weeks to wait - unless baba has other plans....

Guess I'm the first may baby??

Our surprise baby boy arrived yesterday at 3.02pm weighing a very substantial 9lbs 3oz.

Labour was intense after the induction so got the epidural which brought amazing relief.

We're absolutely in love with him

Best of luck ladies and be sure to check in and let us all know how it goes x

Our surprise baby boy arrived yesterday at 3.02pm weighing a very substantial 9lbs 3oz.

Labour was intense after the induction so got the epidural which brought amazing relief.

Massive congratulations and well done you - enjoy the cuddles!

Congratulations!!!!

My little one was born on the 5th at half 8 in the evening. Baby boy born 3.43 kg so only a little fella :)

Also an induction and I would definitely recommend the epidural to anyone whose having an induction (specifically if you are put on oxytocin, that stuff is serious).

Home now a few days, it's so strange to have the little man here and not inside me anymore, I still rub my tummy sometimes.

Good luck ladies and try sleep before the baby comes, sounds like a cliché but it's the best advice you'll get :)

Good luck ladies and try sleep before the baby comes, sounds like a cliché but it's the best advice you'll get :)

Sound advice as I sit here wide awake since 3.30. :)

So so excited for all the new arrivals and parents so far.

Congrats GingerLily and OkeyDokes!! Enjoy all the cuddles with your little ones!

I’m 40+2 today, going in for check up tomorrow... hoping baby doesn’t leave us waiting too much longer!!!

• Advertisement

How are folks doing?

Anyone been into Rotunda since the IT systems turned off last week? Mrs Vagga is 37 + 4 today, and due in there tomorrow to hopefully try and figure out D-Day

Advertisement