Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

May 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Porklife wrote: »
    Hi guys, hope it's ok to swing by and say hello.
    I found out a week ago that I'm 6 weeks pregnant. Had my first scan to confirm and all is well. I have a constant mild headache/heavy headed feeling and severely chapped lips which is apparently common enough.
    They say its dehydration but I'm drowning myself with water and juices!
    My bf flipped when he found out and actually moved out:(
    Heartbreaking but I can't let it upset me at this crucial stage. I need to be strong and know in my heart things happen for a reason and I...or should I say we..me and little one..will be ok.
    Hope everyone is feeling ok this evening. I miss vino!!!

Hi! I read your thread on PI and my heart broke for you :(
    Nice to see you hear though, I can totally empathise with all the pregnancy symptoms - I nap almost every day after work, and headaches are getting starting!

Giving up wine was easier than I thought, after a week or so I didn't want it

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FA101

rosie087 wrote: »
    I'm sorry for your loss with the other babies and have everything crossed for you that this one will be the one! Hopefully the sickness is a good sign that everything's working as expected!

Thanks Rosie087 😊 I did the Panorama and the scan looked good for that! Hangover days are reducing too so I feel better.

Has anyone gained weight already? I've put on almost 10lbs, but probably eating way more to help the nausea. Freaked out because if I keep on this path I'm going to have a lot of work to do once bub is born!!

I had my first scan on Friday, I'm 9 weeks rather than 10 apparently, kind of knew that (I was tracking my ovulation).

I keep looking at the pics and videos, got a short 3 second clip of the jelly bean doing a little shimmy and it's adorable <3 anyone else obsessed too? So nice to see the baby exists, until now it's only been the symptoms!

So hard not tell tell people, soon though, soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

GingerLily wrote: »
    I had my first scan on Friday, I'm 9 weeks rather than 10 apparently, kind of knew that (I was tracking my ovulation).

I keep looking at the pics and videos, got a short 3 second clip of the jelly bean doing a little shimmy and it's adorable <3 anyone else obsessed too? So nice to see the baby exists, until now it's only been the symptoms!

So hard not tell tell people, soon though, soon :)

Aww doing a little shimmy :)
    That's lovely Ginger, very happy for you. I'm feeling positive and happy today for the first time since I found out. No reason other than its pretty amazing to be growing a little human being even if it is without the dad. Big love to all

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Posting here as anon; too chicken to use my real account. Im a Dad here, an excited long term boards user.

We are actually due in very early June, but we had many complications with number 1 [who came naturally at 38 weeks] and also "geriatric" in pregnancy terms - So no chance at all they let us go to term.

We have had 2 confirmed pregnancies that ..er.. had issues well along the line since we had number 1, so fingers and toes crossed here that things work out. The other half is being super dooper conscious to avoid stress and we are being very on point with eating well and what not.

• Advertisement

I'm 12 weeks this week, excited to start telling people, told my in-laws last week just before lockdown :)

What's everyone doing about telling people on lockdown? I'm going to tell my siblings this week on a zoom, but I think I might wait until I see my wider circle of friends to make it "official".

I found out my Rhesus Negative so have to have another blood test to find out what the baby is, husband is positive so who knows! Anyone other negative bloods types here?

Also found out my NIPT results, I'm low risk for everything which was great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gigglybits

Congrats GingerLily, that's brilliant news. How long did it take for results to come back?

I'm 12 weeks soon and would struggle to hide the belly/boobs at this stage, they have shot out this time round, however I have not seen friends outside of zoom in the past month so it doesn't matter.

We haven't figured out how we will tell people yet, probably family over phone and friends with a funny picture on WhatsApp.

gigglybits wrote: »
    Congrats GingerLily, that's brilliant news. How long did it take for results to come back?

I'm 12 weeks soon and would struggle to hide the belly/boobs at this stage, they have shot out this time round, however I have not seen friends outside of zoom in the past month so it doesn't matter.

We haven't figured out how we will tell people yet, probably family over phone and friends with a funny picture on WhatsApp.

8 days only for the results, we expected another week as they have to go to the US, it ended up being good timing as we got the results the same day as my 12 week scan and the last day before lockdown so we just knew we should tell the in laws (my mom's passed away, no parents on my side to tell).

I know what you mean, I look a stone bigger even though I actually am 3 kgs lighter than I was 2 months ago. My tummy is much bigger but unfortunately it looks just like lockdown weight at the moment and not pregnancy🀣 I'm excited for an obvious bump

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gigglybits

Yes, I've lost half a stone while looking much bigger. I've found wearing maternity tops definitely makes me look pregnant whereas baggy tops were just making me look a bit overweight. It will be a relief to let everyone know and just embrace showing the pregnancy bump.

8 days is a good turn around, I should have mine by next week so.

Thankfully the initial tiredness and morning sickness has mostly disappeared. I wouldn't say energy levels are 100% but I seem to get a lot done in the morning before slowing down in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rosie087

I wasn't expecting to lose weight but am also down a few kgs. The nausea is pretty much gone but I'm still exhausted come 6pm, early to bed every night or I'm a right nightmare to be around.

I'm on the Domino scheme now so had my first appt with a midwife yesterday at 13 weeks, waiting on the results of my bloods now (I should know what my blood type can't remember for the life of me). Got my Harmony results back and all are low risk so I'm delighted.

Told my parents and my partners parents recently, but don't know how to tell friends really. It's our first and feels a bit weird to just text them, and I'm not usually a caller!

I'm not sure when to say it to work, how much notice do they need?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure when to say it to work, how much notice do they need?

I told my manager, just to explain why I had been sick one week for two seperate reasons. You should inform them about attending appointments as its paid leave, so I'm telling my manager about my appointments but I refuse to discuss maternity leave until the new year!

I'm in no rush to announce to work in general, hoping nearer Christmas to announce as we're so busy right now, I think it'll be nicer in December :)

Speaking of leave, we should qualify for the increased 'Parents Leave', which will be amazing, 5 extra weeks of leave and benefits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Aurian_loh

I have reached the 12th week. And I have my first hospital appointment next week. Very excited for that to make it a little more real. Going for a private scan a week after that so my husband can see also. He is understandably not too thrilled about missing out.

I told my closest friends last month. Was supposed to meet in person and tell them then but the gradual covid restrictions put an end to that so settled for a video call instead. Will now rely on my mam to spread the word along the family gossip line 😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Will we meet the criteria for the 5 weeks leave with benefits for May birth? As the guidelines are only coming into effect from April 2021?
    I told my manager, just to explain why I had been sick one week for two seperate reasons. You should inform them about attending appointments as its paid leave, so I'm telling my manager about my appointments but I refuse to discuss maternity leave until the new year!

I'm in no rush to announce to work in general, hoping nearer Christmas to announce as we're so busy right now, I think it'll be nicer in December :)

Speaking of leave, we should qualify for the increased 'Parents Leave', which will be amazing, 5 extra weeks of leave and benefits :)

bri007 wrote: »
    Will we meet the criteria for the 5 weeks leave with benefits for May birth? As the guidelines are only coming into effect from April 2021?

Mums qualify from April 2021-
    Maternity leave (26 weeks paid and 16 weeks unpaid) must start before due date
    Parents leave (5 weeks paid) must be taken in first 2 years
    Parental leave (26 weeks unpaid) taken for first 12 years

Partners qualify for -
    Paternity leave (2 weeks) first 6 months
    Parents leave (as above)
    Parental leave (as above)

*paid leave means you should get benefits from the government, employer may or may not pay you also

It's very confusing but that's how I've worked it all out, if anyone wants to correct me please so :)

**EDITED to remove the error about parent leave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Those 5weeks parents leave are for babies born after nov 2019 not April 2021. But it only comes into affect from April 2021. Hope that helps

Thanks, that’s great. Initially my girlfriend was worrying that I will only get the two weeks and have to use up all annual leave when the baby is born.

It will be great to get the 5 weeks and not affect holiday leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

bri007 wrote: »
    Thanks, that’s great. Initially my girlfriend was worrying that I will only get the two weeks and have to use up all annual leave when the baby is born.

It will be great to get the 5 weeks and not affect holiday leave.

Yeah those 5 weeks are great and don't forget about your paternity leave too of 2 weeks. So you get 7 then altogether :-)

That’s brilliant, thanks for your help. I forgot about the other 2 weeks, 7 weeks will be a great. That has just made my day thanks a mill :)
    andreac wrote: »
    Yeah those 5 weeks are great and don't forget about your paternity leave too of 2 weeks. So you get 7 then altogether :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tatevik

Hi all, I'm also due in May, this is my first pregnancy after almost 4 years trying to conceive. I'm 14 weeks on Saturday and due on the 8th of May. Had my first scan in the Rotunda on Friday and all good, was so amazing to see the baby and hear the heartbeat. Told family and friends over the weekend so it feels very real now!! We're both over the moon :) No morning sickness at all thank god, just feel a bit nauseous from time to time when I'm hungry so been snacking a lot more than I usually do. Hoping I stay feeling well throughout the pregnancy! I'm signed up for the Domino scheme, they made the appt for me at my booking visit so all good :)

Tatevik wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm also due in May, this is my first pregnancy after almost 4 years trying to conceive. I'm 14 weeks on Saturday and due on the 8th of May. Had my first scan in the Rotunda on Friday and all good, was so amazing to see the baby and hear the heartbeat. Told family and friends over the weekend so it feels very real now!! We're both over the moon :) No morning sickness at all thank god, just feel a bit nauseous from time to time when I'm hungry so been snacking a lot more than I usually do. Hoping I stay feeling well throughout the pregnancy! I'm signed up for the Domino scheme, they made the appt for me at my booking visit so all good :)

Congratulations! I'm also on the Domino scheme, I'm really impressed so far!

• Advertisement

Is anyone here Rhesus Negative? Got my result about 3 weeks ago, had to have another blood test for the baby, still waiting to hear back, it's almost 2 weeks now.

Is anyone here Rhesus Negative? Got my result about 3 weeks ago, had to have another blood test for the baby, still waiting to hear back, it's almost 2 weeks now.

I'm also rhesus negative, I got my results last Wed (4th) and when they were on the phone to me they made a follow up appointment for next week for the next blood test. Might be worth following up with them to get an appt scheduled.

I'm also rhesus negative, I got my results last Wed (4th) and when they were on the phone to me they made a follow up appointment for next week for the next blood test. Might be worth following up with them to get an appt scheduled.

I've had the second test, I was just waiting on the results. Turns out the baby is positive so I'll need AntiD, I'm lucky I've not had any bleeding as that can be an issue, will get the shots at 28 weeks or if I gets bump/impact.

Has anyone had their 16 week consultation yet? Did you do it in person?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Has anyone had their 16 week consultation yet? Did you do it in person?

I’m having mine in person next week - will just be 17 weeks then

MissElle wrote: »
    I’m having mine in person next week - will just be 17 weeks then

Mine is also in person next week at 17 weeks, getting my flu and whooping cough vaccines then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭okeydokeys22

How's everyone doing this week?

I'm 18 weeks this coming week. I've been feeling movements the last 2 weeks. Only when I'm lying down and still. Very subtle flutters, like a tiny little spasm. The past few days it's a bit like having a goldfish in my belly trying to swim its way out. Very very cool sensation and I absolutely love feeling it. It's not consistent though and isn't following a pattern just yet but I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Anyone else feeling life in them yet?

How's everyone doing this week?

I'm 18 weeks this coming week. I've been feeling movements the last 2 weeks. Only when I'm lying down and still. Very subtle flutters, like a tiny little spasm. The past few days it's a bit like having a goldfish in my belly trying to swim its way out. Very very cool sensation and I absolutely love feeling it. It's not consistent though and isn't following a pattern just yet but I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Anyone else feeling life in them yet?

That's so exciting! I'm 18 weeks on Tuesday but haven't felt anything yet at all. Feeling good though and not as tired as i had been.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭okeydokeys22

That's so exciting! I'm 18 weeks on Tuesday but haven't felt anything yet at all. Feeling good though and not as tired as i had been.

It's fantastic having energy back. 2nd trimester really makes you feel like yourself again.

Anyone planning on finding out the gender at the 20 week scan?

• Advertisement

It's fantastic having energy back. 2nd trimester really makes you feel like yourself again.

Anyone planning on finding out the gender at the 20 week scan?

Yeah I was starting to think I'd never feel normal again! Initially my partner and I said we'd leave it as a surprise but now we've changed our minds and are going to find out at the next scan so I'm really excited. We had the option with the harmony scan but it was too early for us at that point.

Are you going to find out?

Advertisement