Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hobby Horses of Belief (and assorted hazards)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Not often I get down on my knees to pray, but I'm going to be very disappointed in the christian deity if it's not pissing sleet in thunderous winds outside Wilson's Hospital School, Co. Westmeath tomorrow morning at 08:30.

btw, the Times of London notes that some of the students had the measure of this endlessly attention-seeking gobshite:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/staff-concerned-enoch-burke-will-cause-more-disruption-at-school-as-former-pupils-speak-out-smssnfrdr

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If there's any possible wind-up angle with a teacher you can guarantee that kids will find it 😉 unless the teacher is genuinely well-liked of course

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Poor Enoch looks set to become poorer still - by €700 per day after the High Court ruled that he'll be slapped with this, should he refuse to purge his contempt by 14:00 tomorrow.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0126/1351944-enoch-burke-court/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

:)

Does he have any assets to sequester? He doesn't appear to have a car (as daddy drives him) and if he doesn't pay a fine what are they going to do - lock him up again - like he'd care.

Life ain't always empty.

Very poor article in the IT

Would they print a headline which said "Confessions of a recovering catholic" or "Confessions of a recovering muslim" ?

Usual woo-laden guff about how religion isn't bad it's just the church which is bad, etc. and sure isn't it a great comfort to people. I wonder if she ever really thought things through (other than being justifiably angry at the RCC and drifting away from it) or even described herself as an atheist at all. She also seems to think secularism equates with atheism which is a strange view for anyone who isn't a catholic bishop.

If she really does have friends who are trying to baptise their way into "better" RC school access, thankfully they're several years too late... and if it's one of the more exclusionary CoI schools they want to get into then mere baptism is unlikely to cut it.

Life ain't always empty.

Ponied up for an IT subscription at €1 for the month, hopefully other content will be a bit better than this. The final paragraph shows an error in the title of the piece

I may not agree with the support for an organisation with views on civil liberties and sexuality that will never be compatible with my own. But I see how, to paraphrase the closing line of Hannah’s sermon that Sunday, spirituality is like a car’s airbag – you might not rely on it day-to-day, the way you would a seat belt. But if you crash, it can help you in the darkest hour – and that is its purpose.

She's not a recovering atheist, she's a non-practising Christian who was in denial of her faith due to the appalling actions and attitude of the church in which she was raised. Anyone who would turn to their religious faith in times of greatest need is basically religious. Perfectly understandable in my opinion to be religious while disgusted at the Catholic church, just an error to confuse that with atheism or even agnosticism. Lot of people in this country take a similar position. A-la-carte Christianity in all its glory.

• Advertisement

Incognito mode would have saved you €1, and I did warn you 😉 but yeah you always hear about these people who seem to think that not going to mass makes them some sort of atheist, then the faith (or, perhaps more accurately, occasional ritual) they return to is inevitably exactly or almost exactly[*] the same as the one they were brainwashed into from birth until adulthood.

[*] No point in splitting hairs over C vs P here, I doubt she or many others in a similar situation would be at all interested in a discussion on transubstantiation vs. consubstantiation, papal infallibility, sola scriptura, or biblical literalism.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,913 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Incognito mode didn't work for me. Must be a message from the Almighty I'm not to read that article. Haven't taken the blood pressure meds yet today anyway :)

With javascript and cookies disabled you definitely can read it even though it says subscriber only.

Life ain't always empty.

The head of the Catholic church in Ireland has suggested religious denominations could help develop a truth recovery process to address the legacy of the Troubles.

Sure isn't it only right that secretive organisations, convinced that they alone know what's best for society, which have caused immense damage and suffering, with a long history of acting entirely in self-interest and going to great lengths to frustrate justice, are forced to engage with their crimes and reveal the full truth.

Life ain't always empty.

Thanks to the great info on archive.is I was able to read that article. I agree with your summary, this woman's no atheist, she's not even agnostic. Just hasn't found the guts to admit it is all, and yeah, the practices of the RCC drove her out.

Her 90+ year old grandmother is more interesting. Plenty of the elderly women out here in the 'bible belt' of Kerry are even more anti-RCC than I am, which says a lot. No use for the priests or their religion, don't go to mass, harangue their offspring into not baptising their children, voted to repeal the 8th, etc. Great place.

Ponied up for an IT subscription at €1 for the month, hopefully other content will be a bit better than this.

The IT is generally excellent in the area of fact-based reporting, but the "opinion" department reserves the right to publish complete rubbish, presumably to provide "balance" - as though accuracy and honesty in one area can somehow be "balanced" by inaccuracy and dishonesty elsewhere.

Case in point being this absurd piece by Geoffrey Roberts the other day:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/01/25/germans-are-right-to-think-twice-about-sending-leopard-tanks-to-ukraine/

Still though, independent media needs support these days and €1 per month is hardly excessive, even if pieces best suited for the bin occasionally end up published.

Don't they regularly run that paedophilia advocate David Quinn?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

An IT subscription is €12 per month after the first month. Not commenting on whether or not it's worth it, just sayin'.

• Advertisement

It's the Indo which has the unlovely David Quinn.

IT has Breda O'Brien (also of the Iona "Institute") spouting guff every Saturday - on her rare weeks off she tag-teams with Maria Steen (who makes Breda appear almost balanced and rational)

They quite frequently have opinion pieces from RCC and CoI bishops, too.

Life ain't always empty.

An IT subscription is €12 per month after the first month. Not commenting on whether or not it's worth it, just sayin'.

I'm on the €6 per week subscription which gives me full access to the IT's online editions, current and historical, plus the brief attention of a nice guy who lobs Saturday's IT onto my doorstep late Friday night or early Saturday morning - means there's a paper on the kitchen table over the weekend, plus support for a worthwhile media outlet.

With no support, it'll be gone quick enough, and the space will be left to shitrags like "Alive" and "Epoch Times".

Agreed about the support for a worthwhile media but realistically, I doubt I'd read the IT often enough to warrant a subscription and have moved from paper to online for the other journals I subscribe to (mostly work related). I do chuck a fiver a month to the Guardian without subscribing which tends to be my 'go to' place for random browsing, similar for Wikipedia. Not sure the IT has the readership to support that kind of model which is a shame as €144 per year is a high entry point for an occasional reader who is also consuming news from multiple other sources.

Student discount? 😝

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

As someone who had to spend 3 hours a day commuting in and out of Dublin, forgive me if I don't want to fund Frank McDonald's repayments on his oversized PHEV that he always forgets to charge.

Pakistan blocks Wikipedia due to unspecified "blasphemous" content. 🙄

They could just edit it, like... 😝

Life ain't always empty.

They could just edit it, like... 😝

You are assuming that the people whinging loudest can read and write.

Enoch wins big - he's lost the support of Westboro Baptist:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WBCApocalypse/status/1622233412831436801

• Advertisement

Not like David Quinn to be smug.

Advertisement