Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

This seems to say Debenhams Ireland is a separate company and will be unaffected for the time being.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/debenhams-to-trade-as-normal-despite-administration-1.3854434

• Registered Users Posts: 25,658 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Really disappointed to read the details of the closure order for the food prep premises of the Gourmet Tart. It's pretty gross that their premises were considered very dirty, with a lack of disinfection and hand hygiene.

Indeed. Especially given that this one factory prepares food for a number of outlets, and that they seem to be always looking for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This seems to say Debenhams Ireland is a separate company and will be unaffected for the time being.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/debenhams-to-trade-as-normal-despite-administration-1.3854434
    Debenhams, which operates 11 stores in the Republic, says its trading divisions, staff, suppliers and customers are unaffected for now after its lenders took control of the UK parent group this morning and placed it into administration.
    Ok, thanks
    All clarified

I don't see anything on GBFM site so maybe they got it wrong and removed the news

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

biko wrote: »
    Ok, thanks
    All clarified

I don't see anything on GBFM site so maybe they got it wrong and removed the news

Id say that might well be the case. I heard it on their news bulletin & they introduced it as a "Breaking News" item.

Later when I checked their website news section there was nothing about it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

Anyone know whats happening with Salt in salthill?

The owner of Monroe's and another Galway business owner have taken on the lease. Being re-fitted out again and will be open in a couple of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

JnarF wrote: »
    The owner of Monroe's and another Galway business owner have taken on the lease. Being re-fitted out again and will be open in a couple of weeks

Who is the owner of Monroe's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭ratracer

cena wrote: »
    Who is the owner of Monroe's

The Monroe family

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

JnarF wrote: »

Partnership between Monroes and O’Grady’s on the Pier/Kirwan’s Lane. Will be called The Hangar apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Really disappointed to read the details of the closure order for the food prep premises of the Gourmet Tart. It's pretty gross that their premises were considered very dirty, with a lack of disinfection and hand hygiene.

Gross. Won't be going there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Partnership between Monroes and O’Grady’s on the Pier/Kirwan’s Lane. Will be called The Hangar apparently.

Fair play to them, has serious potential!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Fair play to them, has serious potential!

Does it?

It seems to be one of those sites in Galway that never really succeeds no mater what business goes in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Does it?

It seems to be one of those sites in Galway that never really succeeds no mater what business goes in there.

Well the Castle was always a goldmine :D

In fairness though, noone seems to have given it a good shot there. The previous places were by their nature narrow in their target market. One was a Polish bar which seemed to do little to attract non-Polish and Salt was an overpriced joke.

Pretty much guaranteed that a combination with the business smarts and experience of Monroes and O'Gradys will succeed. Great news for Salthill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Will be giving Xian street food a miss too tbh. Article not very reassuring on either premises tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

tototoe wrote: »
    Will be giving Xian street food a miss too tbh. Article not very reassuring on either premises tbh.

Think it was the Xian cafe across from the Xian restaurant that was affected.think it stated the addresses were different but similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

Think it was the Xian cafe across from the Xian restaurant that was affected.think it stated the addresses were different but similar.

One place probably a prep kitchen for the other. Indicative of poor management of both xian and gourmet tart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be honest, the reasons why restaurants fail inspections aren't always a reason for concern. Often, they could be spotless, but have technical failings that aren't huge worries for the average person.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

In the case of the Galway closures, these were very clearly of concern. There is no excuse for any business being hit with a closure order like this, and I don't accept that "technical failings" do not put the public at risk. The FSAI exists to protect the public, and the establishments should be adhering to the regulations. Food safety is very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Attached is the actual closure order for The Gourmet Tart Company.

Some bits from it:
    The lack of adequate cleaning and disinfection in the premises and the food preparation activities evident
    gave rise to an unacceptable risk of cross-contamination of foodstuffs rendering unfit/unsafe food being
    placed on the market. The preparation of raw foods and ready to eat foodstuffs using the same facilities,
    equipment and cleaning cloths without adequate cleaning and disinfection was being carried out. Large
    containers for mixing foodstuffs that food workers stated had been cleaned, did not appear clean or
    adequately disinfected. Some of these containers had a foul odour.

The premises in its current condition is not adequately pest proofed and would allow entry of pests and
    thus allows an unacceptable risk for contamination of foodstuffs. This was evidenced by the following:
    Gaps were present at the front entrance door, and other structural points, including dishwasher ventilation
    duct and where pipe work was present in walls i.e. in the dish washing room, at the rear of the bread
    oven, in the wall above the macaroon making machine which would allow entry for pests,
    There was shrubbery and rubble in close proximity to the exterior wall of the premises, which can provide
    harbourage for pests.
    Ants were noted adjacent to the rear door underneath containers of crushed biscuit, and a slug was noted
    on the wall adjacent the dishwasher.

Some posts that could be damaging, and their followups, removed.
    Please drop Gourmet tart for now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

https://connachttribune.ie/galway-indoor-artisan-food-market-gets-go-ahead-300/

That food market has gotten the go ahead. Don't know if it's long term but appears to be.... Nice addition hopefully

• Advertisement

iPear in Lower Abbeygate St was closed all day today.

And also on another day / time when I expected it to be open (in the last week ...I cannot remember exactly when though).

There's no sign up saying what going on. The displays are empty, but that's normal because they take all the stock out of the windows every night and put up shutters.

More speculation and discussion of Xian removed.
    This thread doesn't allow speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

It seems it’s actually going to be called McCabe’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

It seems it’s actually going to be called McCabe’s.

Any link? I'm excited for a new bar in salthill!

Is mccabes not the name of an entrance to monroes? Same as front door and sonny molloys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

<already covered in the PDF above> the link I had was also for the Xian closure notice, wasn't covered above... you've deleted my post though....

iPear in Lower Abbeygate St was closed all day today.

And also on another day / time when I expected it to be open (in the last week ...I cannot remember exactly when though).

There's no sign up saying what going on. The displays are empty, but that's normal because they take all the stock out of the windows every night and put up shutters.

... and they 're open again today! Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Rent the Runway creating 150 "high tech" jobs - https://www.newstalk.com/news/rent-the-runway-jobs-galway-850973

Operating temporarily in the Portershed, then moving to its permanent base in the Claddagh. I assume it's going into the old Piscatorial School which is looking better and better as it refurb gets closer to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Rent the Runway creating 150 "high tech" jobs - https://www.newstalk.com/news/rent-the-runway-jobs-galway-850973

Operating temporarily in the Portershed, then moving to its permanent base in the Claddagh. I assume it's going into the old Piscatorial School which is looking better and better as it refurb gets closer to the finish.

It is the Piscatorial School. Obviously this won't be a solution for all 150 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

This new enterprise looks interesting. Electric bike rentals for Galway 👌

e-rentalz.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/mothercare-ireland-reassures-customers-to-open-bigger-galway-store-1.3849497

This may have been already posted but Mothercare opening superstore in Wellpark. Will vacate their Eyre Sq store however.

Advertisement