Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fringe 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Louisa Omielan is always a fun one to go to. I've already seen the show she's doing this year but might go again anyway!

So far all I've got planned is the tattoo and where I work at s a venue at one of the festivals so I've managed to make it so I'm "working" for the show I want to see!

We'll probably just head in and pick a few random ones see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Ah I might put her on the favourites list, thanks Jimmii.
    I'm certainly keeping a free weekend so I can wander & try a few random shows :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I saw Louisa O'Mielan's show about her mum's battle with cancer and it was mighty - heartbreaking stuff (as you'd expect from a show about someone losing a loved one), but she had us all howling with laughter at various points. Well worth a watch if you get the chance.

I'm trying to treat this year as a bit more random - so far I have a few things booked (mainly because I have family coming to visit who want to see specific shows), but the main things I know I want to hit are Tapeface (who is excellent) and Ashley Storrie (who I saw as support for Katherine Ryan earlier in the year, but who you may know from "If The Handmaid's Tale Was Scottish").

Yeah that show was hard to watch at times. We seen her first two shows and they were amazing then she did a preview of politics and it was just after her mother died and i am pretty sure everyone was crying at some point! She's incredibly honest that's for sure.

If people are curious about her what would Beyonce do is online and I think am I right ladies was uploaded too. The Beyonce show went out on BBC so there's pretty good production as it was filmed just for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Fysh wrote: »
    I'm trying to treat this year as a bit more random[/url]).

You should have a look at the Audible presents gigs- There's 4 acts and you only find out who they are and who the MC is when you get there. I went to three of them last year and really enjoyed the majority of them, and best of all it's free.

The only things I've got booked this year are Foil Arms and Hog and ****faced Shakespeare...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

First show of the Fringe for me was A Joke, which was about as daft and entertaining as I'd expected, with the added benefit of feeling like a really weird Doctor Who/Star Trek: Voyager crossover episode :D

Tomorrow I'll probably be hitting one of the Parliament Square showcases along with Don Quixote Unbound and Foil Arms & Hog.

Caught a few shows over the last couple of days:
    • Don Quijote Unbound - an interesting one-man show, presenting the story of Cervantes' life in parallel with the story of Quijote. Provides some interesting context on the Quijote story that I was unaware of as well as a fresh narrative approach.
    • Foil Arms & Hog - the three lads are on flying form; if you've seen their material before you have some idea of what to expect, but they're getting better and better, and some of the odd little tangents one or another of them will fly off on provide some of the funniest material
    • David O'Doherty - Again, if you've seen him before you know what to expect. He's in fine form with some great new songs and wonderfully bizarre bits of anecdotes to share. As testimonials go I can't beat this - at the show I saw, a group of four girls left the room less than halfway through. They came back in 20 mins later, and O'Doherty asked them what took so long. It turned out someone sitting behind them had fallen ill and vomited over them, and yet they decided after getting cleaned up as best they could to try and catch the rest of the gig...
    • The Tapeface Show - Having seen him blind for the first time last year, I booked this to go and see with visiting family members and it didn't disappoint. Quirky, perfectly done slapstick mime comedy with some phenomenally inventive use of music and the best use of audience interaction I've seen in a comedy show. I'm half tempted to go see it again.

Not sure what's up next for me, but I'm going to try and get some random "because the flyer looked interesting" shows in. There's no shortage of candidates...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've heard Tapeface is brand new material, is that true?

razorblunt wrote: »
    I've heard Tapeface is brand new material, is that true?

I only saw his Best Of show last year but as far as I know athe Tapeface Show is brand new material. I don't know what the TapeFacebook Show is, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

A few good recommendations folks, thanks.  
    I caught a few shows over the past few days, David O'Doherty was his usual random self & good for a laugh, Hal Cruttenden also a good laugh -  fairly safe comedy :) I loved 'Little Death Club', a cabaret show at the circus hub and we threw in a Best of the Fest as a late night crowd pleaser. 
    Really looking forward to Foil Arms and Hog when a few friends arrive over at the end of the Fringe, and Trainspotting live tonight.  Leaving the rest of my time free for random shows.
    Did anyone catch the Five Telegrams show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm away on holiday from Friday and mad busy with work so I've not had a chance to catch a show yet. It will be handy coming back for the last week and just hitting the most recommended shows.

I've head Dark Knight with Mandy Knight is very offensive and very good.
    Drunk Shakespeare, her, and Abandoman are on the list so far.

Caught a couple of free shows this week: Ashley Storrie (as mentioned previously, who was great - go see her!), and alsoRuven Govender.

I'd never heard of Govender before but his show was very funny - it's called "Ethnic cleansing" and has a specific focus on aspects of his life where his ethnicity comes into play, which is kind of complicated when you're Thai-born Indian but have grown up in South Africa and New Zealand. If you want to get an idea of what he's like, there's a video with some of his show on Youtube.

Off to see James Loveridge tonight. We saw him a couple of years so and he was amazing! Last year we got tickets and when we got there staff directed us to the wrong room and we ended up in some absolutely terrible student comedy show. Dear God it was rough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭crushproof

Thanks for all the recommendations above, going to wander and check some out today.

Caught a few over the past few days. As always, hit and miss. Two free shows that stood out were Drunk Lion by Chris Davis at Newsroom, solid performance. A one man show about a gringo coming across a drunk lion in Mexico. And "Lesbian Whisperer" aka Imann Hadchiti in Three Sisters was very very funny, had never heard of him before but he had the room in stitches in no time. 
    Another stand out was "Flight" at Summerhall, board plane in absolute pitch black darkness and take off on a mind bending journey. A very enjoyable (terrifying for some) 30 minutes. Anybody have any feedback for Trainspotting, heard mixed reviews in work.

Advertisement