Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Edinburgh chat thread

• 29-03-2017 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭

Lets get the ball rolling on this then so!

When you're not dossing on boards what do you get up to in town? Anyone go to Hibs or Hearts (or Edinburgh City?!).

Anyone have any suggestions for gigs? Outside of August seems like we're lucky to get included on any of the even medium sized bands tour's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hi Jimmii!

I lived down Gorgie direction when I first moved over, went to a Hearts - Kilmarnock game once. Left at half time, it was atrocious, you could find 22 lads in a park that would have put on a higher standard of football!

The gig scene is awful here, Usher Hall try to put on what they can but they're limited to varying the concerts and also limited to what kind of act can play there.

Generally, I try to get to a few Edinburgh games, especially against the Irish team, it was handy when it was on the doorstep but now they've moved up Craiglockhart direction it's a bit of a trek.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Sneaky Pete's tries very hard to maintain a live music scene, but the farcical noise regulations imposed by the city council mean live music outside of Festival season is generally found in Glasgow. Usher Hall also does as much as it can and is worth supporting.

Mind you, Edinburgh is very well represented for film - barring the predicable crapness of the Vue (who are pretty much omnicrap in my experience) even the multiplexes here have a really good range of films on offer, and the festival is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Corn Exchange does ok also in terms of gigs, saw Kasabian there last year. It's a pity that the venue on Lothian Road where the new Wetherspoons is wasn't kept up as a music venue, it used to hget a lot of medium sized bands - Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, Razorlight etc. back pre 2012 according to a few of my mates.

Also I highly recommend the escape room by Holyrood 9A as a really good group activity. I think there's another one near Stockbridge also.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

On the gig front I find the Skinny's mailing list pretty good, although you also need to be on things like TicketBastard's mailing list for bigger gigs because of how far in advance they sell out.

One thing I'm looking forward to soon is the pop-up arcade event out in Ocean Terminal starting this weekend.

Ah crap, that gaming history event was over before I heard about it a few years back and I'm away this weekend!

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Ah crap, that gaming history event was over before I heard about it a few years back and I'm away this weekend!

No worries, it's on for a fortnight.

Fysh wrote: »
    No worries, it's on for a fortnight.

Ah nice, I'll catch it the weekend after next then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

We went to a gig in a place with lockers in grassmarket not so long ago that was good the place was tiny though! Be nice if we had somewhere like King Tuts we went to some amazing gigs there in the past. Even just somewhere like the Roisin! Used to love going there when we lived in Galway!

We used to live on Dalmeny St so I went to a couple of hibs games and the atmosphere was actually pretty good.

We go to the cinema a lot so have unlimited cards for cineworld just so it doesn't cost too much! It's probably not as good as the Dublin one for showing smaller films but at least they try.

Just seen there's a house of peroni pop up this weekend on one of the streets between Princes and Georges (think it might be castle St) looked interesting seems like there's more going on than it just being a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Have seen The XX, The National, The Gloaming and Villagers all in Edinburgh over past 5 years, its not great but we do get some. Glasgow is much better for gigs tho and you have just enough time to get the last train home.
    Jaysus, 5 years in Edinburgh! Time flies by

• Advertisement

First outdoor lunch today lads.
    Bit windy, you could say, you'd be right, but I'd made my choice and stuck it out. Probably wouldn't have in hindsight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

jimmii wrote: »
    Just seen there's a house of peroni pop up this weekend on one of the streets between Princes and Georges (think it might be castle St) looked interesting seems like there's more going on than it just being a bar.

Damn! Only seeing this now!

Any of ye booked tickets for any of the Science Festival events? I just today found out about Cheeseology 2.0 but it's already sold out :(

Any of ye booked tickets for any of the Science Festival events? I just today found out about Cheeseology 2.0 but it's already sold out :(

Not booked anything yet. Anything you suggest?

Not booked anything yet. Anything you suggest?

I've been hopelessly disorganised about booking anything so far, was hoping for a nudge in the right direction from someone else here ;)

There's a craft beer festival coming up in the Biscuit Factory in Leith. Originally I though Idlewild, Young Fathers and Belle and Sebastian were all playing so sounded great. Unfortunately it's all dj sets which is a bit disappointing frankly.

There's a craft beer festival coming up in the Biscuit Factory in Leith. Originally I though Idlewild, Young Fathers and Belle and Sebastian were all playing so sounded great. Unfortunately it's all dj sets which is a bit disappointing frankly.

I've been to a couple of events at the Biscuit Factory and they've been fun, I could be persuaded to use this as an opportunity to try another Edinburgh Beers if anyone is interested :)

I never realised Dean Village is a tourist attraction. Took the dog for a walk at midday (usually I'm out really early when there's not a sinner) but the place was mobbed.

I never realised Dean Village is a tourist attraction. Took the dog for a walk at midday (usually I'm out really early when there's not a sinner) but the place was mobbed.

I was down there around the same time and was amazed how many tourists were snapping away. It is a nice area but didn't think many outside of Edinburgh knew about it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Joined a sevens league that plays out at the new Oriam sports centre out at Heriot Watt, lovely artificial pitches out there.

• Advertisement

I was down there around the same time and was amazed how many tourists were snapping away. It is a nice area but didn't think many outside of Edinburgh knew about it!

I may have passed you!
    I was walking the diva-esque dog who was stopping for rubs at every tourist's leg.

I've been to a couple of events at the Biscuit Factory and they've been fun, I could be persuaded to use this as an opportunity to try another Edinburgh Beers if anyone is interested :)

Aye I'd be interested if enough people are up for it.

Yeah, if I'm around , count me in!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

Since I've been here I've enjoyed going to the ice hockey , it is surprisingly competitive , seems to be a lot of ex NHL influence .
    Murray field ice rink is pretty poor but if ice hockey is your thing then I reccomend trekking across to braehead , regular attendance of 3-4,000 +
    Also the pentland hills is lovely for a walk and there is a table tennis tournament somewhere in Edinburgh on a Sunday night , can't remember where tho

What's the price on the door for the ice hockey?
    I seem to be in Roseburn Park a lot when a game is on, I can hear the music from outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

What's the price on the door for the ice hockey?
    I seem to be in Roseburn Park a lot when a game is on, I can hear the music from outside.
    Think it's around £18 , unfortunately it is over now until august

kelledy wrote: »
    Think it's around £18 , unfortunately it is over now until august

Not bad, beats paying £25 to watch Edinburgh attempt to play rugby.

So I got out for my first cycle in ages on Sunday, and it was lovely. I have a regular route from around Stockbridge out to Cramond, then along the coast down towards Leith - for the short route I turn back towards town somewhere between Granton and Leith, for the longer route I carry on going to Portobello, go along the promenade, then take the Innocent Railway back up towards Newington.

Do any of ye cycle? I'm only a fairweather cyclist really, but I'd love some suggestions for other routes to try. I've tried around Blackford Hill when I was living over that way but there's only so much hill I can manage ;)

Was never much of a cyclist but round there is a great spot for a run. Used to have friends in Cramond and would go running round the island almost got caught by the tide one time it was up to me knees by the time I got back to the beach!

Water of Leith is a nice spot to run. I live to the east of the city and the Edinburgh to North Berwick and back route is a very popular one if you fancy going a little further afield.

• Advertisement

Oh, and on a different note, there's a Foodies Festival on in Inverleith Park in August. I know that's advance notice but myself and the OH went with a friend last year and it was nice - we lucked out by going on the Friday, as it got really windy on Saturday and they had to cancel it (not sure if the Sunday went ahead or not).

I mention it because itison have a deal at the minute which we availed of last year for half-price tickets.

Advertisement