Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Boards.ie subversive to the state?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Quit threat followed row over €76,000 college job

A MEMBER of the governing body of an institute of technology threatened to resign over a senior appointment -- claiming the selection process was "fundamentally flawed".

A second governing-body member of Sligo Institute of Technology (IT Sligo) also expressed concerns, while two senior staff members who were not called for interview sought an internal review.

The objections centred on the process used in the selection of a new head of the Civil Engineering and Construction department, which carries a salary of more than €76,000.

Trevor McSharry was ultimately confirmed in the post, after the report of an internal review was accepted at a special meeting of the governing body.

High Court finds that accountant deceived brothers over site purchase

A HIGH COURT judge has found that three brothers suffered losses because an accountant deliberately deceived them concerning the purchase, involving a secret sub-sale arrangement, of a development site in Co Sligo by a company of which former European commissioner Ray MacSharry was chairman.

:D Just Though I quote the parts of the articles for phones etc, good find bonzos:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Jesus, politicians really hate the internet this year.

Tis' awful we, the public, have a platform to talk about our elected officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I remember during the last election campaign the Marc MacSharry "election machine" came to the estate where I live nothing more sickening than looking at a fleet of new bmw's and merc's being driven around by FF heads around with loud speakers preaching about how they were the answer to the countries problems:rolleyes:....meanwhile he is up to his balls in a development deal that end up in court due to greed by all parties involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

realies wrote: »
    I love reading boards & poltics .ie, Much better than reading the bias and utter crap newspapers on sale at the moment,The politicians are getting nervey as they can see from sites like this that the people have enough and want change.

I thought that's what happened when this government got elected. Ye elected them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭jaykay74

He seems to have a way with words.

"I do have a question I'm calling for a debate in the context of that eh I'm making a point. It's the same in eh we all want free speech..."

Familiar surname as well as is the way with irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

wes wrote: »
    So we are not allowed to have opinions now? Pretty messed up imho.

Oh your allowed have an opinion, as long as they have given it to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

we don't have any reportage in this country what we have is not newspapers but viewspapers

Popular opinion on boards.
    We don't have a national broadcasters that reports news we have a national broadcaster who reports a complexion they wish to place on the facts that are promoted per day

Popular opinion on boards.
    we have Boards.ie and Politics.ie, for me frankly that doesn't amount to free speech what it amounts to is legalised subversion of the state

A statement which is backed up by no evidence either anecdotal or researched. While I'm anything but a fan of McSharry I can't argue with his first two points. I'd nearly venture he doesn't get what a discussion board is because I don't know how anyone can come to that conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

No such thing as bad publicity. Should be some fun threads on ah once mcsharry starts posting to try and counteract the insurgency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Only a senator. Ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I think most people here are missing his point. Firstly I don't agree with him, or his use of hyperbole but there have been a number of threads calling for the non-payment of taxes. Nor should we forget the number of threads saying we should rise up against austerity.

There are a number of posters here whose opinions could be considered subversive, but broadly the consensus is not imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I think most people here are missing his point. Firstly I don't agree with him, or his use of hyperbole but there have been a number of threads calling for the non-payment of taxes. Nor should we forget the number of threads saying we should rise up against austerity.
    The state only exists because people allow it to. At the end of the day we all live under rules that we mutually agree to, and if there are problems with those rules the state has neither the right nor the ability to stop people talking about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    The state only exists because people allow it to. At the end of the day we all live under rules that we mutually agree to, and if there are problems with those rules the state has neither the right nor the ability to stop people talking about them.

I agree, but what should happen when a sizeable minority tries to destabilise the state and its institutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Aquila wrote: »
    Perhaps Gordon banned him and antagonized him in the Prison Forum :D

Just checked the Prison forum for the first time now. I wanted to post my "hehe" giggle on one of the exchanges over there, but they won't let me so watch the exchange in this thread and laugh. hehe :D. Classic. This Gordon lad should let the lad/girl back based on brass neck alone (seriously - respect for rogues, divils and plámásers are ancient Irish cultural values!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I agree, but what should happen when a sizeable minority tries to destabilise the state and its institutions?
    What's the alternative, stamp down on places like boards which allow a reasonably free exchange of views? The backlash from that would be far worse I reckon. The state would be as well off to use these new outlets to listen to what people are saying instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Marks knows a little about subversion!!

In 1983 his Daddy, Ray, as Tánaiste and Minister for Finance, borrowed police tape recorders to secretly record conversations with a cabinet colleague!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Thread makes me happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Yep, boards.ie was responsible for subverting our republic by making such an utter balls of our boom economy that we had to have the troika come and tell us how to run our country.

Certainly and i'd guess a few people who had never heard of boards.ie and politics.ie before they went and bought overpriced houses wished they did. There was debate on here which you wouldn't have got from the media or politicians at the time. The likes of independent newspapers and Bertie were blowing up the property propaganda like nobody's business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

There are a number of posters here whose opinions could be considered subversive, but broadly the consensus is not imo.

Is that not the same as standing on the street corner protesting and calling for people to boycott a particular thing. The same was done in relation to the Poll Tax in the UK in the 80's.

This is just a modern platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Boards.ie is comprised of members of this society who want to give their opinion on different topics. I would love him to clarify how people giving thier opinion is subversive to the state and if it is subversive than theres something wrong with the current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I have read the transcript of his 'speech', it reminds me of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Well if people talking about things on Boards or Politics.ie leads to actual action against the state, then the state can respond in some way.

But not only should the state allow freedom of discussion, including criticism, it should embrace it.
    It's free and open discussion about the government that pushes our leaders to be accountable for their actions, and to be aware of what the electorate thinks of the government most of them elected.

Before the internet, politicians had an easy ride as they didn't face too much criticism and they could get away with a lot of corruption.

Now they have to face criticism, and it seems a lot of them can't handle it.

Well tough s**t to them, that's how a free and open democratic society works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Boards.ie is comprised of members of this society who want to give their opinion on different topics. I would love him to clarify how people giving thier opinion is subversive to the state and if it is subversive than theres something wrong with the current state.

They, the child products of nepotism, are the state! Disloyalty to them is subversion. They are our very own republican aristocracy so well summed up by one Mary O'Rourke (sister of Brian Lenihan and aunt of Conor Lenihan TD and Brian Lenihan Jnr TD- says it all), when she recently claimed that criticism of one Bertie Ahern amounted to "treason".

This country, compliments of the blind local loyalties of Irish people and their tolerance of political corruption from Drumcondra to Dún Chaoin, is in a cultural abyss with which it has still not come to terms.

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    They, the child products of nepotism, are the state! Disloyalty to them is subversion. They are our very own republican aristocracy so well summed up by one Mary O'Rourke (sister of Brian Lenihan and aunt of Conor Lenihan TD and Brian Lenihan Jnr TD- says it all), when she recently claimed that criticism of one Bertie Ahern amounted to "treason".

This country, compliments of the blind local loyalties of Irish people and their tolerance of political corruption from Drumcondra to Dún Chaoin, is in a cultural abyss with which it has still not come to terms.

Indeed the winners of the genetic lottery of politcal power. Nepotisim is rife in Ireland the way I tend to treat people who rose to positions because of mammy, daddy, uncle or whomever is of a lower sort of class to people like me who worked hard to be where they are now. Giving these people respect is the biggest mistake the Irish will continue to make.

and indeed their entitled to support a view they think is right. If people think one policy or another is morally wrong then they have every right and in fact a duty to voice against it. Laws can be unjust and not speaking out against an injust law because its suberversion of the law is sort of missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

of course when a fianna fail person says 'state' he means 'fianna fail' and there been little let up in the deserved hatred towards all things fianna fail

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I do have a question I'm calling for a debate in the context of that eh I'm making a point. It's the same in eh we all want free speech when people are tweeting or texting or online where we have Boards.ie and Politics.ie, for me frankly that doesn't amount to free speech what it amounts to is poeple saying that the want in an open forum. I think it's fundamentally wrong. What we need is somebody some media that reports that facts because as we often praise eh the people of this country for being amongst the most educated in the world and my god they're prepared to make their own decision based on the facts if presented not as presented by the editorial staff within RTE or whatever news media and finally can I say and this is a very worrying issue and I intend to raise it privately with the leader and all should be aware there's a very major news agency in this country in charge of quite a few regional newspapers who have instructed that there staff not to print any news releases from members of Seanad Eireann and I think that is something we need to address.
    FHP.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Well lads, ye (and this muppet I suppose) have done it now! LOL

MacSharry is not impressed with us - AGAIN!

http://www.thejournal.ie/subversive-website-comments-taken-out-of-context-ff-senator-384082-Mar2012/
    ‘Subversive website’ comments taken out of context – FF Senator

FIANNA FÁIL SENATOR Marc MacSharry has defended his criticism of online forums yesterday saying that his view that they amounted to “legalised subversion of the State” was taken out of context.
    Speaking in the Seanad yesterday, the senator said: “When people are tweeting, texting or online, for example, on boards.ie and Politics.ie. In my view that does not amount to free speech, but legalised subversion of the State. It is fundamentally wrong.”

He was the subject of considerable criticism on both websites yesterday but he defended his comments today.
    Mac Sharry insisted that he was speaking in the context of the misuse of a tweet during the RTÉ Frontline presidential debate, an incident which he said “had the potential to subvert the State”.
    Speaking to TheJournal.ie today Mac Sharry denied that he was attacking Boards.ie or Politics.ie saying that: “There will be people who choose to interpret this as a personal attack on fora. It certainly isn’t that. It’s the fact that we need to look at all of these areas. I am pro-free speech.
    “What I meant and the whole train of the debate was on standards in the media relative to the misuse of kinds of social media and online media as a reputable source that is unverified. In that context, the misuse of them by traditional media can be subversive.”

He said the criticism of him on Politics.ie, which he noted ran to some 50 pages and had, he said, been described to him by some as “frenzied engagement” was “focusing on a context that wasn’t there”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Biggins wrote: »
    Well lads, ye (and this muppet I suppose) have done it now! LOL

MacSharry is not impressed with us - AGAIN!

http://www.thejournal.ie/subversive-website-comments-taken-out-of-context-ff-senator-384082-Mar2012/

I'm not how much out of context it was taken, the full quote was there for everyone to see...

Advertisement