Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Filthy atheists stealing our Christmas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Sarky wrote: »
    Parody? Isn't that, like, one of the sacraments or something?

No parody is like the FSM. Keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

No parody is like the FSM. Keep up.

That's just what he wants you to think. It's one of his fiendish tests. Repent now before you end up with flat beer and std riddled hookers for eternity.

Oh and if you don't agree please provide proof that the FSM is not real ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dades wrote: »
    Sooo, Die Hard or Die Hard II?

Die Hard
    Die Hard 2
    Die Hard 4.0
    Die Hard with a Vengence

In that order. A lot of people will have Die Hard 3 as their second placed Die Hard movie, but personally I was left cold by it (especially since it doesn't take place during Festivus, what were they thinking?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Along with Die Hard and, the last few years, Bad Santa, I watch that film every year.
    Only pegged Die Hard 2 as the greatest Christmas movie ever on my Facebook a couple of weeks ago. :D

I hated Bad Santa.
    Penn wrote: »
    Die hard 2? Ahead of Die Hard 1?

Madness. Bad Santa I can understand, but Die Hard 2 better than 1?

Die Hard 1 symbolises Christmas perfectly. Meet up with family (wife). See some people you don't want to see (terrorists). Play a few games (big shoot-outs). Bit of an argument over what to watch on telly (blow up the roof of a building). Have a laugh (Ho Ho Ho now I have a machine gun). Eat and drink too much (Ellis taking too much coke). And just sit around and do nothing (most of the hostages and Argyle in the limo)
    Not enough snow (or Christmas sweaters) in Die Hard 1 to be truly a Christmas movie!

Sorry - I don't make the rules! ;)
    Sooo, Die Hard or Die Hard II?
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Die Hard
    Die Hard 2
    Die Hard 4.0
    Die Hard with a Vengence

In that order. A lot of people will have Die Hard 3 as their second placed Die Hard movie, but personally I was left cold by it (especially since it doesn't take place during Festivus, what were they thinking?)
    I fear a schism:(

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I fear a schism:(

Happy McClanemas!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Die Hard
    Die Hard 2
    Die Hard 4.0
    Die Hard with a Vengence

In that order.

4.0 before Vengeance?

You're as mad as those religious folk. GTFO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Christmas is just a big excuse nowadays for pressies, sweets, turkey, drink, more sweets, watching films, turkey sandwiches, sleeping all day, singing badly and more drink.

The fact that there's a Christmas tree in the main square in Tel Aviv pointed to me that it is no longer a Christian/religious thing, but more an Americanism about spending and overindulgence than anything else.

I also love being asked if I went to mass. Ha. Ha. Ha. I'd prefer to believe in Santa than God and all that religious faf, thanks.

DazMarz wrote: »
    Christmas is just a big excuse nowadays for pressies, sweets, turkey, drink, more sweets, watching films, turkey sandwiches, sleeping all day, singing badly and more drink.

Yeah. Thank you Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

DazMarz wrote: »
    The fact that there's a Christmas tree in the main square in Tel Aviv pointed to me that it is no longer a Christian/religious thing, but more an Americanism about spending and overindulgence than anything else.

I still think this misses the point, the point being that this festival was *always* about spending and overindulgence, Christianity came along and tried to stick a mass on it celebrating the birth of Christ - making it about them - fair enough, nice attempt, but the true meaning of Christmas was always the party and celebrations - we need to fight to return Christmas to its true meaning!

- Send a strong message that Christians hijacking Christmas for their own agenda is no longer acceptable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Can't believe this was missing from the thread:

says it all about y'all...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Can't believe this was missing from the thread:

says it all about y'all...

I said it last time that trailer was posted and I'll say it again. Christmas is a proper noun and should always be spelt with a capital C. Stupid Jefferson D'arcy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Shít, now I have a song, Christmas with a Capital C, by Horslips banging in my head. That's just not right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just how many Baldwins are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

In America there are more Baldwins per capita than people.

By the way, this is the best Christmas movie...

Philistines..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,224 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Seven. Alec, Daniel, Billy, Stephen, Sneezy, Grumpy and Doc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Alec, the lefty vegan one,
    Daniel, the relapsing drug addict, in and out of jail one,
    Billy, the boringly good one,
    Stephen, the fundamentalist Christian, financially bankrupt one,
    and Adam, the looks a bit like them but isn't related though lots of people think he is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

What about Willie Wonka and the choclate factory. The one with Gene Wilder not the new crap remake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There is absolutely nothing more Christmassy than the title music to Home Alone.

It makes me feel all warm inside. John Williams is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

There is absolutely nothing more Christmassy than the title music to Home Alone.

I just watched a recent episode of a show called extra credits (a gaming video) talking about music in games and they referenced him for catchy melodies. The amount of stuff he's done that sticks in your head is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Try to sing the theme tune to Superman.

Then try the same for Star wars (the main theme, not vaders).

Both are Williams :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭EKClarke

Well I'm celebrating Kwanza.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Try to sing the theme tune to Superman.

Then try the same for Star wars (the main theme, not vaders).
    Totally nailed that this morning.

This is gonna be a great day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Saw the best christmas movie ever last night. "Saint", its about a murderous st nick and his gang of half chared elves with axes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1167675/

highly recomended

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I just celebrate the fact I have a family that loves me (mostly) and spend time having fun with them... No god no jebus.. just Alcohol, Family and Food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I just celebrate the fact I have a family that loves me (mostly) and spend time having fun with them... No god no jebus.. just Alcohol, Family and Food.

In order of importance?

CiaranMT wrote: »
    In order of importance?

Don't be ridiculous!!!!

You can't do Christmas level drinking on an empty stomach!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Seriously, no one mentioned "It's a wonderful life?" that movie on Christmas morning is the ultimate test of whether you got properly emotionally drunk on Chimbo eve.

Seriously, no one mentioned "It's a wonderful life?" that movie on Christmas morning is the ultimate test of whether you got properly emotionally drunk on Chimbo eve.

To be fair, someone did reference it, albeit as a euphemism for Die Hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Im always faced with the same BS question each year; "If you celebrate christmas, then why dont you go to mass?'

FFS, i celebrate the 25th of december, the one day you have to be some what decent to your family, even the ones you dont like. For one day, we can all meet up and stuff our faces and exchange gifts as a gesture of our good nature to other people.

Jesus and all that other stuff has nothing to do with it. I like to see my family, and this day is mostly the one day a year i get to see most of them, if were to not celebrate it, id be sat at home and quite merrily watch Die Hard 1. followed by with a vengeance, 2 doesnt make it to my list.

Anyone know where i can get a "Happy December 25th" card?

Advertisement