Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Morris Minor with brown tax book

• 12-05-2021 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi guys, we got left a farm and farm yard and buildings. In one of the sheds is a old very rusty morris minor. There's a tax book for it and it seems to been a high spec one as it has chrome surrounds on the doors, it's 4 doors btw. The metal is all rusty but there's a lot of stuff that could be used for spares.
    What sort of value would this have? If selling whats the story with them old brown tax books, do you have to send them to shannon with the new owners details or would you bother when it's in that state
    Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Thedarkb

If the car is changing hands, you need to send the tax book off to Shannon. The new owner might want to shell out for a new bodyshell :P

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Thedarkb wrote: »
    If the car is changing hands, you need to send the tax book off to Shannon. The new owner might want to shell out for a new bodyshell :P

A brown book doesn't go to Shannon, it goes to your local motor tax office along with a completed (by both seller and new owner) RF200 form, and the new owners name and address written into the brown book.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF200_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Yep, as stated above, If you need to do a change of ownership with a brown tax book, you must actually go into the tax office to do it, and have an RF200 form filled out. It's only registration certificates that are posted to Shannon

In most of my dealings, if I buy a car with a tax book, the seller just gives it to me and I go in and sort it out in the tax office. (there's often puzzled looks from younger members of staff there when you present it!) Sometimes if the vehicle has been off the road for a long time, the registration will be dormant or not exist on the computer system, which can be a further hassle.

Technically the seller should do it, and just cut off the Part C from the bottom of the form and give it to the buyer, but in many cases the book is handed to the new owner, in reality, it makes little difference.

a Rotten but complete Morris Minor is probably worth between €500 and €1500, very much depending on the specific model and how bad the rust actually is. I assume by your user name you're out west?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

Testacalda wrote: »
    Yep, as stated above, If you need to do a change of ownership with a brown tax book, you must actually go into the tax office to do it, and have an RF200 form filled out. It's only registration certificates that are posted to Shannon

In most of my dealings, if I buy a car with a tax book, the seller just gives it to me and I go in and sort it out in the tax office. (there's often puzzled looks from younger members of staff there when you present it!) Sometimes if the vehicle has been off the road for a long time, the registration will be dormant or not exist on the computer system, which can be a further hassle.

Technically the seller should do it, and just cut off the Part C from the bottom of the form and give it to the buyer, but in many cases the book is handed to the new owner, in reality, it makes little difference.

a Rotten but complete Morris Minor is probably worth between €500 and €1500, very much depending on the specific model and how bad the rust actually is. I assume by your user name you're out west?

Thanks for the info, yes based i Sligo. Not sure of specic model but must be more than standard with the chrome
    Might throw it up on dd & see if there's any interest. If anyone interested here just pm me & I can send pictures

If you can post a picture up here, we can probably help tell you a bit more about it, or PM me a picture if you'd prefer not to post one.

There were 4 versions of the Minor. The MM with a Morris side valve engine, Series II with an 803cc engine, Morris 1000 with a 948cc engine and the Series V with a 1098cc engine

The earlier it is, the rarer it is, and that's where the variation in price will be. Having a tax book on an original Irish registration is a good selling point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

jaginsligo wrote: »

it seems to been a high spec one

There was only one spec Morris Minor! We had three new ones when I was a kid and they were all the same bar the colour! Things like overriders wing mirrors and fancy wheel trims were all dealer accessories - not options!

here's a few picures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I'd say that one is at least 1964 as it has the later steering wheel, toggle switches, white letters on the black speedo and heater. Towards the end of production the chrome on the doors were deleted, I think about 1969 but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Hello Jaginsligo

In what county is it registered. This could/would influence the price somewhat, or rather, could clinch a sale
    Regards

rugbyman wrote: »
    Hello Jaginsligo

In what county is it registered. This could/would influence the price somewhat, or rather, could clinch a sale
    Regards

Just looked at the tax book, it was registered in 1967 in Cork, bought by the cork diocese for a priest, then my uncle bought it in 1971 and its been here in Sligo since. Not sure how long its been parked in the shed. Not sure if it's relevant but it on the tax book as a "Morris 1000", i would have thought it would say "Morris Minor"

• Advertisement

Jon the tax book as a "Morris 1000", i would have thought it would say "Morris Minor"

Morris 1000 is the technically correct name for that model of Morris. That general body shape is now commonly know as a Morris Minor ,but back when it was new it would have been referred to in Ireland as a 'Morris a Thousand' :pac:

It refers to it having a 948cc or 1098cc engine, yours would have the 1098cc.

That car needs total restoration, but it has historic value being an Irish registered car, being reasonably complete and un messed with.

Normally I would be on to you about buying this one for myself, but I'm not in a position to right now.

If you don't feel like advertising it on donedeal, you could contact a few vintage clubs in Cork and in your area, no doubt some club member would buy it.

Testacalda wrote: »
    Morris 1000 is the technically correct name for that model of Morris. That general body shape is now commonly know as a Morris Minor ,but back when it was new it would have been referred to in Ireland as a 'Morris a Thousand' :pac:

It refers to it having a 948cc or 1098cc engine, yours would have the 1098cc.

That car needs total restoration, but it has historic value being an Irish registered car, being reasonably complete and un messed with.

Normally I would be on to you about buying this one for myself, but I'm not in a position to right now.

If you don't feel like advertising it on donedeal, you could contact a few vintage clubs in Cork and in your area, no doubt some club member would buy it.

Might try tgat

Might try tgat

Sorry, fat fingers
    Might try my own vintage club & see if there's any interest

Any idea of a value the way it is, I don't want top dollar but don't want to give it away either

I still think €500 to €1500 is reasonable, but it will depend on the actual condition of the car and who's buying it. 'Barn Finds' are all the rage now :pac:

It's probably more desirable to a potential 'Barn find' type buyer if you leave it exactly where it is all covered in dust and dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If you're advertising it, mention the letters of the reg, as this indicates the county (and sometimes the month/year, if you know the sequences well) - it will get collectors interested (perhaps don't give out the numbers as well, as some messers might be looking for an currently-unused Morris 1000 reg)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

Worth contacting the Morris Minor owners club too.

Advertisement