Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

dzilla wrote: »
    would somebody be able to explain to me the situation with the Ferrybank shopping center and why it is not open. I kinda missed that whole situation years ago. Is there even an article or link that goes through it?

Simple answer. Celtic tiger and Kilkenny CC bull shi*e, completely unviable, should never have been built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Surely now that it's built, it could be used? It's a fine building and pretty big. I'm not from Waterford or Kilkenny so all of that rivalry nonsense aside, it could surely be made use if?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It can yeah, if people wanted to open up their shops there I am sure they could?

The problem being the obvious of course.

Course, I could be completely wrong and maybe they wouldn't be able to move in anymore. Maybe it is just to be an eyesore forever more, a testament to poor planning and Celtic tiger idiocy.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It should be office space, - a hub if you will for people in South Kilkenny/Waterford to "work from home" but not actually at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

dzilla wrote: »
    would somebody be able to explain to me the situation with the Ferrybank shopping center and why it is not open. I kinda missed that whole situation years ago. Is there even an article or link that goes through it?

The centre has been subject to lengthy and bitter legal disputes which appear to be ongoing. Dunnes Stores signed up to be the anchor tenant and then pulled out. The loans for the building subsequently ended up in NAMA.

NAMA don't own the facility, but apparently the facility acts as security for loans owed to NAMA.

The dispute with Dunnes seems to be ongoing. The developer continue to pay for the maintenance and security of the building.

I think some of the responses you got offered an over simplistic and perhaps jaundiced view of the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

hardybuck wrote: »
    The centre has been subject to lengthy and bitter legal disputes which appear to be ongoing. Dunnes Stores signed up to be the anchor tenant and then pulled out. The loans for the building subsequently ended up in NAMA.

NAMA don't own the facility, but apparently the facility acts as security for loans owned to NAMA.

The dispute with Dunnes seems to be ongoing. The developer continue to pay for the maintenance and security of the building.

I think some of the responses you got offered an over simplistic and perhaps jaundiced view of the matter.
    John Paul were the builders, they were not paid and had a legal hold on the premises, Dunnes were losing their shirt in McDonagh junction and Margaret Heffernan was quoted as saying she was not going to lose anymore on another Kilkenny store.
    Albeit in more flowery language, they pulled and a long legal battles ensued which Dunnes ultimately lost and paid a large sum to exit the contract.
    This money paid off the builder JP, and the receiver holds the remnants.

AFAIK this is the gist of it, but at the end of the day,the buildings to work would need a footfall that simply does not exist in any town or city in the southeast, it is oversized and in the wrong place, simplistic maybe but also true.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Apparently it legally breached the Regional Planning Guidelines for shopping development. Site called for a District type centre (Supervalu on Tramore Road)which was needed, but KK Co Co invented a "town centre in Gateway city suburb" designation to facilitate a Town Centre development like Dundrum there. Over sized, over built and over there! An Bord Pleanala had already decided that Ferrybank was nota separate town but is a suburb of Waterford city for retail and purposes. It could open in a limited form, but that's unlikely. Its a Kilkenny Co Co problem which has had huge ramifications for Waterford. Some suggest it will never open as retail.

It needs "breaking up" and renting off in chunks. Are there any pictures of the interior? Is it just open floors and stairwells/lifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

It was only a matter time before the thread turned into a spot of Kilkenny bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

hardybuck wrote: »

NAMA don't own the facility, but apparently the facility acts as security for loans owned to NAMA.

Nice one thanks!

• Advertisement

Kilkenny bashing? The facts are pretty clear on this building and why it exists.

jelutong wrote: »
    It was only a matter time before the thread turned into a spot of Kilkenny bashing.

Unfair and uncalled for, what is being recounted is the truth not conjecture or bashing as you refer to it.

If you have another reason why this was built ?out with it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

I guess with NQ going down the tubes Rob Cass can get back to his day job of posting Covid-19 conspiracy theories on Twitter

imacman wrote: »
    I guess with NQ going down the tubes Rob Cass can get back to his day job of posting Covid-19 conspiracy theories on Twitter

He really did himself and the project no favours with his increasingly erratic and manic pronouncements.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

I don't use Twitter but can anyone tell me what is rob cass' daytime job, is he just the frontman for the Saudi's or is he a marketing guy for other corporations, I only just started reading this thread and he is the main name that keeps popping up, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Santan wrote: »
    I don't use Twitter but can anyone tell me what is rob cass' daytime job, is he just the frontman for the Saudi's or is he a marketing guy for other corporations, I only just started reading this thread and he is the main name that keeps popping up, cheers

https://youtu.be/8-Pi8yv7-18

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

It should be office space, - a hub if you will for people in South Kilkenny/Waterford to "work from home" but not actually at home.

Turn it into the TUSE Kilkenny campus - make sure they don't feel left out. Tongue in cheek obviously but it could be used for worse things.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Shame to hear this but hardly a huge surprise given the past 18 months- the sectors this development had been most invested in have been absolutely decimated- travel, leisure, conferences, retail, offices (WFH hello?). Maybe up the residential element but all the above will take a long time to recover and there’ll be lots of empty retail and offices allover the country

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I don’t follow him but often see him quoted- I gather he works on the hospitality sector as he seemed quite vocal on that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

N&S have images of the "new" development in tomorrows paper.

Couple of points:

Have I missed something but felt DT really was trying to dig out John Cummins as if it was his fault and a silly comment about staking your political career on it. Its not any of the political representatives fault it has failed.

Rob tried to do something good but there was always questions over the project. Funding (at least a %) hasn't been raised before Covid become a thing which was a surprise to me given the mood music from Falcon. Many questioned the project and were right in the end. I will question the next one until there is boots on the ground.

Goverment (department officials) dragged there heels on the funding and given what has happened just maybe they were right to. I wonder what sort of questions they asked and did lack of funding from Falcon come up.

I think it will be developed but my concern now is if its divided up the development will be messy. I hope the council have a good plan and built up because I felt the old plans didn't really do enough with the city or its skyline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Santan wrote:

Falcon are a real estate company, so I guess their job is to advocate for property markets, hence why I've called cass a lobbyist in the past, but I will give him credit for initiating this process, without him, this whole idea may not have gotten this far. Who actually came up with the idea in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Couple of points:

Have I missed something but felt DT really was trying to dig out John Cummins as if it was his fault and a silly comment about staking your political career on it. Its not any of the political representatives fault it has failed.

Rob tried to do something good but there was always questions over the project. Funding (at least a %) hasn't been raised before Covid become a thing which was a surprise to me given the mood music from Falcon. Many questioned the project and were right in the end. I will question the next one until there is boots on the ground.

Goverment (department officials) dragged there heels on the funding and given what has happened just maybe they were right to. I wonder what sort of questions they asked and did lack of funding from Falcon come up.

I think it will be developed but my concern now is if its divided up the development will be messy. I hope the council have a good plan and built up because I felt the old plans didn't really do enough with the city or its skyline.

He asked Marc O Catasaigh if he could have done more. Like what exactly were they supposed to do? Should they be out there in hard hats building it themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Couple of points:

Whereas I would agree with you on most of this there is one point I don’t.

It is partly the fault of the political class in Waterford. The political class in Waterford has utterly failed to deliver a full university for Waterford. With one developments like the north quays would be more viable and easier to realise. This point has been forgotten or conveniently ignored by our politicians.

When Galway took a massive hit with Digital closure The minister for industry put a task force in place and it worked very well. They developed a large number of businesses in its wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

His a piss poor paddy Cosgrove wannabe.he has an answer on Twitter for everything,he should run in politics in next election.sure his good at bullcrap talking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Gardner

Uncle Rob very quiet on Twitter on the NQ but it still hasn't stopped him talking nonsense on other subject matters. Harry Palmr & Aquos76 could do with joining him.

anyone see the front page of the News and Star. cringe!! gives the Mirror or the Sun a run for it's money.

Gardner wrote: »
    Uncle Rob very quiet on Twitter on the NQ but it still hasn't stopped him talking nonsense on other subject matters. Harry Palmr & Aquos76 could do with joining him.

anyone see the front page of the News and Star. cringe!! gives the Mirror or the Sun a run for it's money.

whats the craic with him on twitter, what does he be saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    whats the craic with him on twitter, what does he be saying?

He mostly talks about how Ireland should be opening up.

A lot would agree with him.

Another read the N&S? Is there any details about plan B?

• Advertisement

Deiseen wrote:
    He mostly talks about how Ireland should be opening up.

We re getting there alright, but todays numbers are a little concerning, not everyone is an expert in our health system, including myself!

Advertisement