Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Jofspring

YFlyer wrote: »
    What is the situation with Debenhams?

Looks like the trucks arrived to clear out the stock last night. Gardai were there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Jofspring wrote: »
    Looks like the trucks arrived to clear out the stock last night. Gardai were there also.

I seen those videos. Surely stock won't make much difference?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I feel sorry for the staff, but they need to give up at this stage. They're delusional if they think they're getting a redundancy payment from a company that no longer exists. They are below the list of creditors that are owed money and even they won't get what they're owed once the liquidators have everything settled.

Isn't there a few million euros worth of stock in there though. Would go a long way towards covering the redundancies.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Isn't there a few million euros worth of stock in there though. Would go a long way towards covering the redundancies.
    No it wouldn't. That's not how it works. The creditors of Debenhams (UK and Ireland, not just Limerick) will be owed millions (probably hundreds of millions) and they will be well ahead of staff. As it is those creditors will only get a fraction of what they're owed. The liquidators will look after the large creditors first. The list of creditors will also include the likes of utilities, local authorities and local suppliers. All of these will be paid before staff and they will all take a large haircut on what they are owed.

There won't be money left for redundancies and unfair as it seems to the former staff, that's how liquidation works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Just to Say lads Halfords is closed indef. It is only open for Online click & collect orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Just to Say lads Halfords is closed indef. It is only open for Online click & collect orders.

It was open on Sunday?

davo2001 wrote: »
    It was open on Sunday?

Signs @ the door & outside saying click & collect orders only. & another sign saying store closed until further notice( online system is crap never gives u the right part )

If it's open for click and collect, then it's not closed is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Should be fully open again within the next week.

• Advertisement

If it's open for click and collect, then it's not closed is it?

i trying to explain what was on the door & the doors are locked as well.

Poorside wrote: »

thats good so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Poorside wrote: »

They have adds up at the moment for staff so must be looking at opening again

breezy1985 wrote: »
    They have adds up at the moment for staff so must be looking at opening again

ya u saw it so like a supervisor.

Aer Lingus got their wish using Covid as an Excuse to close the Snn Base like they wanted to do for ages

ya u saw it so like a supervisor.

They were looking for a couple of different in store sales positions

Aer Lingus got their wish using Covid as an Excuse to close the Snn Base like they wanted to do for ages

> Clare forum

> Clare forum

:D:D:D:P:P:P:P O ya. it has an knock on effect though. Aaa Shannon Co limerick Anyway Like Killkee;):D:D:D

The Debenhams workers have finally given up on getting blood out of a stone. Although 1/4 of them voted to keep at it :rolleyes: https://www.thejournal.ie/debenhams-ireland-ex-workers-lift-pickets-accept-offer-5442833-May2021/
    The unions should be ashamed of themselves for leading these workers up the garden path. They were never going to get an extra penny out of a company that had been liquidated and could have moved on and found different employment a year ago.

The Debenhams workers have finally given up on getting blood out of a stone. Although 1/4 of them voted to keep at it :rolleyes: https://www.thejournal.ie/debenhams-ireland-ex-workers-lift-pickets-accept-offer-5442833-May2021/
    The unions should be ashamed of themselves for leading these workers up the garden path. They were never going to get an extra penny out of a company that had been liquidated and could have moved on and found different employment a year ago.

ya you are right there, loads of other companies were prob owed hundreds of thousands & they are going to be looking after them 1st. you be extremely lucky then if anything to get anything extra once they are looked after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

during covid? fat chance

fryup wrote: »
    during covid? fat chance

Anyone with Debenhams on their CV is now blacklisted everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Well before that even.

I do feel bad for the employees & I don't know their personal circumstances. I will say this though - it was widely known for a good while that Debenhams was a sinking ship. Had I been working there, I would have gone about looking for another job years ago.

That's what I would have done myself. Like I said, other people's circumstances may have been different...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭adaminho

What a load of bollocks! People with 30 years experience shouldn't get a job because they fought for their rights! Debenhams workers weren't just fighting for a pre-approved redundancy package, they were also looking for a change in the redundancy laws.

By who. Wouldnt put me off if I was hiring someone

Well before that even.

I do feel bad for the employees & I don't know their personal circumstances. I will say this though - it was widely known for a good while that Debenhams was a sinking ship. Had I been working there, I would have gone about looking for another job years ago.

That's what I would have done myself. Like I said, other people's circumstances may have been different...

If you had years under your belt you would leave for another job and lose the redundancy ?
    I can understand not wanting to do the picket but crazy to give up on the agreed initial payout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Well that's a load of crap, someone who stood up for what they thought was right, would be a positive if I was interviewing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

I only know two former workers, both are in new jobs and both attended the blockades.

I don't know if either listed Debenhams on their CVs but as both were long time employees there then I'd imagine they did otherwise they'd have a large gap in their CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

breezy1985 wrote: »
    If you had years under your belt you would leave for another job and lose the redundancy ?
    I can understand not wanting to do the picket but crazy to give up on the agreed initial payout

Like I said, I personally would have found another job. I can't speak for others. I do understand your point though.

• Advertisement

A lot of the staff in Debenhams have been there for years, 20+ easily. There was even some Roche's Stores staff still working in there. You would hope with businesses re-opening now that they will all find work. Some are at an age where they will probably find it hard to get back out on the job hunt though.

Advertisement