Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have "Hogan" taken over PTSB tracker mortgages?

• 14-01-2014 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

This morning I was expecting a transaction to appear on my account from PTSB for the mortgage direct debit. Instead I had a direct debit from some company called "Hogan". Initially I got a hell of a shock as I thought it was some sort of fraud. However looking at it the quantity matched what I was expecting for the mortgage (after the most recent interest rate drop) and looking at the details of the transaction the remittance information is for the mortgage account.

Some questions leading out of this:
    1. Who are Hogan?
    2. Have PTSB sold/transferred my tracker mortgage to them?
    3. How will this impact on my mortgage (can Hogan vary the tracker contract)?
    4. Why did PTSB/Hogan not notify me of this change?
    5. Has anyone else seen this? Is it all PTSB mortgages or just a few.
    6. My mortgage is not in arrears and we have always paid in full. But it is a low tracker rate and I know that means PTSB are making a loss on it. Could they have sold/transferred my mortgage even though it is not and never has been in arrears?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Similar thread on Ask About Money
    I am open to correction but I think HOGAN is the name of their mortgages servicing system. I think they either got a new one or upgraded their existing system which probably explains why they have become much more efficient.

Not very professional having a random name showing up, imho.

Had a quick search on their Twitter also.

Lots of comments on that page.

They say:
    Morning, since the changeover to SEPA it has been appearing as Hogan Direct Debit, this will revert back in the coming months ^AF

2:32 AM - 31 Dec 13

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

Thanks. So am I correct in saying that it isn't that PTSB have moved the mortgage it's just their computer system is called "Hogan" and therefore Hogan appears on the direct debits? This seems extremely unprofessional by PTSB.

touts wrote: »
    Thanks. So am I correct in saying that it isn't that PTSB have moved the mortgage it's just their computer system is called "Hogan" and therefore Hogan appears on the direct debits? This seems extremely unprofessional by PTSB.

Yes that appears to be the case. Obviously they have moved over to a SEPA compatible system and that system is called 'HOGAN' which is now showing up on statements.

One would imagine that it would be straightforward to change HOGAN to PTSB on statements. Some notice for customers might have been wise.

It does not look very professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ginger999

I'm glad I checked into Boards.ie before contacting PTSB - cos I had the same queries upon receiving recent balance on accounts. I'm also on a tracker with PTSB and also wondered if they had moved their mortgage accounts elsewhere why did they not notify clients....but they should have still contacted re. name change on statement. I thought my account had been hacked! Phew :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

'Hogan' was the s/w suite used by the Irish Permanent Building Society to manage their mortgages. When they merged with TSB they probably continued to use the IPBS s/w since they would have had more mortgages than the TSB whose loan book would have been more oriented to term loans for cars and home improvements.

Hogan Systems are still in the same business.....

http://www.csc.com/banking/offerings/11090/48573-hogan_systems

coylemj wrote: »
    'Hogan' was the s/w suite used by the Irish Permanent Building Society to manage their mortgages. When they merged with TSB they probably continued to use the IPBS s/w since they would have had more mortgages than the TSB whose loan book would have been more oriented to term loans for cars and home improvements.

Hogan Systems are still in the same business.....

http://www.csc.com/banking/offerings/11090/48573-hogan_systems

Interesting but it is now 2 weeks since my mortgage appeared to go to some company called "Hogan" and were it not for Boards I would not have a clue what happened. PTSB have not sent a letter, a text, a phone call or anything to warn me that they have a naming issue on their account. This is really shocking customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

This is really shocking customer service.

What's the big deal? Its just a name. I'm sure it was still blatantly obvious from the amount that it was your mortgage repayment.

Would you rather they wasted thousands of euro sending out letters?

jeepers101 wrote: »
    What's the big deal? Its just a name. I'm sure it was still blatantly obvious from the amount that it was your mortgage repayment.

Would you rather they wasted thousands of euro sending out letters?

It's not blatantly obvious that "Hogan" is actually PTSB. People will automatically think first of some sort of fraud. Then if they do see the amount is the same it will logically lead to questions as to who are Hogan and why are they collecting my mortgage not PTSB. Now if you work in the sector you probably would know who Hogan were. But if you didn't it would cause unnecessary worry about the biggest debt of your life.

As to the idea of wasting thousands of Euro on letters well I would find a simple letter telling me that there is an error on their banking system and they will appear as Hogan and not PTSB far better value than the pointless sales leaflets they seem to send me every few weeks. No I don't want a cheap car loan / Credit Card / Holiday loan / Pension / Investment / etc. I just want your system to properly manage my existing one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Did you even ring them and ask why is line this or come on boards and slate them?

• Advertisement

greenman09 wrote: »
    Did you even ring them and ask why is line this or come on boards and slate them?

That's a new one. Customers should phone the bank if they want to be informed of any problems the bank might be having with their account.

Oh wait no. That's the just the latest approach of Irish banks to "customer service". The customer has to go do it all themselves and the bank charges them for it anyway.

I had to come on boards to find out who Hogan were so I think it is quite fair to discuss the issue here. If PTSB are upset about customers being critical of them with other customers perhaps they should be a little more proactive in communicating with customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Jaysus, some people have little to be worrying about uf this is the biggest drama of their lives.

Down with this sort of thing! Rally the troops, create a Facebook page, let's march!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

That's a new one. Customers should phone the bank if they want to be informed of any problems the bank might be having with their account.

Oh wait no. That's the just the latest approach of Irish banks to "customer service". The customer has to go do it all themselves and the bank charges them for it anyway.

I had to come on boards to find out who Hogan were so I think it is quite fair to discuss the issue here. If PTSB are upset about customers being critical of them with other customers perhaps they should be a little more proactive in communicating with customers.

You have a query on a transaction on your account. Are you saying you did everything but ring the bank on it? A bit of cop on goes along way here. A simple call could have explained this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Imagine if some one came on here saying the bank have just called to tell me i'm in arrears with my mortgage, a few months ago the name on the debit changed but the amount was right, now the bank tell me someone has been fraudulently debiting my account monthly and I am now 3 months in arrears.

As I never flagged it at the time, the bank say they can't do a thing.

Happens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Interesting but it is now 2 weeks since my mortgage appeared to go to some company called "Hogan" and were it not for Boards I would not have a clue what happened. PTSB have not sent a letter, a text, a phone call or anything to warn me that they have a naming issue on their account. This is really shocking customer service.

And you were that worried about this hogan company taking your money that you did what over the last two weeks?

amdublin wrote: »
    And you were that worried about this hogan company taking your money that you did what over the last two weeks?

Well the PTSB "supporters" on here and ask about money were quick to explain it was their system and was a temporary issue. If those PTSB people are now back tracking and claiming that Hogan may not be associated with PTSB I suppose customers better phone PTSB and ask if their system has been hacked. Thanks. You have done a great job reassuring people that nothing os wrong at PTSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

PTSB's direct debit system seems to be in more than a spot of bother at the moment. MOre of the same craic reported by the Examiner yesterday....

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/ptsb-glitch-wont-cause-loan-arrears-256809.html

We cancelled our D/D and pay PTSB over the phone now, due to their incompetence with D/D's previously. Works for us, and the mortgage gets paid on time every month....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This happened to my parents also. They didn't cop th amount was the same as their mortgage so they rang the bank to clarify.
    It's deeply unprofessional. If I was a customer I would have expected a letter explaining it, particularly given that fraud on bank a/c is so common these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

Incredible amount of scaremongering being posted here. Allow me put some of you at ease.

1. Hogan IS the name of the ptsb mortgage system
    2. The change in name IS because of SEPA changes
    3. The issue only came to light AFTER transactions went through so how could they be expected to notify people in advance.

If your genuinely concerned just ring the bank rather than scaremongering here. If you did take the time to call you would have been quickly reassured.

The SEPA changes have affected a number of companies, bord gais is another example, they're DD's didn't call in December resulting in them taking two in January. The changeover to SEPA is the biggest change in payments since the introduction of DD's so is enevitably going to cause some early issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

3. The issue only came to light AFTER transactions went through so how could they be expected to notify people in advance.

If your genuinely concerned just ring the bank rather than scaremongering here. If you did take the time to call you would have been quickly reassured.

Nonsense.
    (1) Banking cockups like this aren't excusable. In any financial software system most of the effort is in testing. No excuse for finding out after the event. What if it had been a more serious problem?
    (2) They could have notified people on their website, twitter, etc., on the day it first occurred, But PTSB chose to put their head in the sand.
    (3) How often do you ring PTSB? You can't ring a branch and you could queue for 15 minutes on the phone only to find out that the phone guy doesn't know. And do you really expect 175,000 mortgage customers to have to ring the bank?
    Boards/AAM is much more informative. It's not scaremongering, it's sharing information in the absence of PTSB releasing anything official.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Deeq76

Does anyone know if PTSB still do Mortage holidays, i've emailed the bank manager but he hasnt got back to me? any advice would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Another53

I have noticed this on my account to but only on one account
    But they seem to omitted my life cover without any notice of same?

Advertisement