Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May shocker: strong winds, squally showers, even the potential for wintry showers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Had quite the epic hail shower about an hour a go. Sunny and pleasant 6.5c at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭pauldry

Jesus got a fright there when I seen Kermit posting in the thread ...thought ya were going to say blizzard imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

11c in Cork now, nice and sunny. But the wind outside would cut you in half. Ordinarily this would be excuse enough to head somewhere (anywhere) nicer but not this year.

“Hold firm” Chris we’ll get out of here allright vaccines and digital cert have to rescue us. My car showing the temp as 4.5 degrees a few mins ago during a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would check May 1996 for temperatures, in the CET record that's the recent cold one (9.1 vs their recent average of 11.7). In our contest, the IMT for five locations has a May average of 11.0 for 1981-2010. April came in one degree below normal (7.4 vs 8.4). But for the CET it came in colder than that (6.4 vs 8.5). So parts of Britain were in that coldest in 35 years region (1986 was 5.8).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Lovely winter scene here in Newcastle Dublin

everything turning white

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Would check May 1996 for temperatures, in the CET record that's the recent cold one (9.1 vs their recent average of 11.7). In our contest, the IMT for five locations has a May average of 11.0 for 1981-2010. April came in one degree below normal (7.4 vs 8.4). But for the CET it came in colder than that (6.4 vs 8.5). So parts of Britain were in that coldest in 35 years region (1986 was 5.8).

The national mean here in that month (May '96) came in at just 9.0c, which is 1.8c below the 81-10 average. The opening days of that month were particularly grisly, with the maxima not breaking 9.0c in parts of the north and east. I don't remember much about this month except that I do recall seeing dry snow falling on a day something like today.

Mean SLP pattern and 850hPa temp anomaly for the month as a whole. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't look to dissimilar to the forecast pattern over the next 7 days or so.

B7HcinQ.png

New Moon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

everything turning white

Hefty hail shower just passed through Dublin 16 and we had a temporary white cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Batten down the hatches folks were in for a rough ride next Sunday wind gusting to 354km
    🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Looking ahead, tomorrow the coldest uppers arrive over Ulster, 522 dm thickness reaches approx Leitrim to north Leinster and stays there most of the day so in parts of NI as low as 519 dm, 850 mb temps near -6 C, any higher elevation showers could turn to snow or ice pellets.

A bit of a secondary push of cold air on Thursday will at least keep it well below normal to Friday.

Any optimism about temps this weekend looks a bit premature to me, it will certainly try to recover in the southeast and may reach 14 or 15 C there, but the way this next low is coming in, warm advection is very weak and the overcast will kill it off, with a steady rain setting in later and into Sunday. Then it's another three cold days after that.

The GFS gives some promise of a brief warmup around Thursday 13th and Friday 14th where it could be near 20 C. Then there would be yet another cold spell developing in the following week as the winds turn northerly again.

Overall I can't see the mean temperature getting past 10 C at any point before the very end of the month. It may reach 9 C briefly in that warm spell then fall back into the 8s.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,924 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hailstoning in North Donegal as I type.

And pretty windy too, not a patch on yesterday but still blustery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

A bit of sleetyness mixed in at the end of the last shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Batten down the hatches folks were in for a rough ride next Sunday wind gusting to 354km
    ����

Looks like a Michael Fish job. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

everything turning white

Hail?

Bought Kiwi plants a month ago and thought I would get them planted out. They are not doing well in their small pots. Think will have to bite the bullet Friday and get them out, hopefully last real frost on Thursday night?

I kinda got to wondering if this ongoing northerly stream has anything to do with (admittedly. very small) ongoing eruption in Iceland? I do remember back in 2010, that the much larger eruption there seemed to coincided with an unusual amount of northerly winds around this time of the year as well.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

I remember May 1996 quite well. When you'd be out from 7-9pm it felt like twilight on a cold northerly with frost in the first week of March. Your breath holding visible in the air.

The June Bank Holiday weekend was very cold too. That summer was poor overall bar a warm week mid to late June, 27C in Shannon and a warm week mid July. August was cool and very cloudy.

Sleet and pockets of snow showing up on netweather radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Looking ahead, tomorrow the coldest uppers arrive over Ulster, 522 dm thickness reaches approx Leitrim to north Leinster and stays there most of the day so in parts of NI as low as 519 dm, 850 mb temps near -6 C, any higher elevation showers could turn to snow or ice pellets.

A bit of a secondary push of cold air on Thursday will at least keep it well below normal to Friday.

Any optimism about temps this weekend looks a bit premature to me, it will certainly try to recover in the southeast and may reach 14 or 15 C there, but the way this next low is coming in, warm advection is very weak and the overcast will kill it off, with a steady rain setting in later and into Sunday. Then it's another three cold days after that.

The GFS gives some promise of a brief warmup around Thursday 13th and Friday 14th where it could be near 20 C. Then there would be yet another cold spell developing in the following week as the winds turn northerly again.

Overall I can't see the mean temperature getting past 10 C at any point before the very end of the month. It may reach 9 C briefly in that warm spell then fall back into the 8s.

Gee MT! Cheerful soul! I hear there is snow in parts of Canada...

Actually it is not the temp that is so damaging for my needs (as long as there is no frost) but the high winds. As a serious gardener/grower. My home is small and currently the bathroom is stacked with seed trays taking refuge from wind scorch. Little is germinating.. And the lack of rain until now... Even that first shower saw wee green shoots appearing to gladden my old heart..

As we are of course cut off by the gales also, growing is even more vital. Even the chickweed is not up yet. ( good vitamin- rich eating is chickweed)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I remember May 1996 quite well. When you'd be out from 7-9pm it felt like twilight on a cold northerly with frost in the first week of March. Your breath holding visible in the air.

The June Bank Holiday weekend was very cold too. That summer was poor overall bar a warm week mid to late June, 27C in Shannon and a warm week mid July. August was cool and very cloudy.

yeah i remember ome of these years from the GAA games I know they are only saturdays and sundays but give a good snapshot of weather week to week. i remember that year well because meath won sam. leinster final day v dublin in last sunday in july was a downpour , the kerry v mayo semi final was wet day to and the other semi final meath v tyrone was overcast and cool. i remember the first meath v dublin game in 1991 was june bank holiday sunday very cool and windy as was the replay the following week and third game was in pouring rain, June 1991 must have been a very bad month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Dickie10 wrote: »
    yeah i remember ome of these years from the GAA games I know they are only saturdays and sundays but give a good snapshot of weather week to week. i remember that year well because meath won sam. leinster final day v dublin in last sunday in july was a downpour , the kerry v mayo semi final was wet day to and the other semi final meath v tyrone was overcast and cool. i remember the first meath v dublin game in 1991 was june bank holiday sunday very cool and windy as was the replay the following week and third game was in pouring rain, June 1991 must have been a very bad month.

Down to -2C one night in early June 1991. Very cold start. Even the 4th Dublin v Meath game on 6 July was very sunny but only 15-18c.

The summer took off on Saturday 10th August when my Laois lost to Meath in the Leinster final :) Mid 20s late August and 28.4c on 5th September 1991 in Valentia. The weather broke shortly after mid September 1991.

Kilkenny v Wexford hurling 1996 first round on June Bank Holiday Sunday was a cold day. I remember the rain Meath v Dublin Leinster final, 10pts to 8pts I think?

• Advertisement

Down to -2C one night in early June 1991. Very cold start. Even the 4th Dublin v Meath game on 6 July was very sunny but only 15-18c.

The summer took off on Saturday 10th August when my Laois lost to Meath in the Leinster final :) Mid 20s late August and 28.4c on 5th September 1991 in Valentia. The weather broke shortly after mid September 1991.

Kilkenny v Wexford hurling 1996 first round on June Bank Holiday Sunday was a cold day. I remember the rain Meath v Dublin Leinster final, 10pts to 8pts I think?

Got ridiculed for telling friends that I remember a decent frost in June. Would have been early 90's so possibly that time.

If I recall correctly July is the only month in Ireland without a frost recorded at one of the weather stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Plenty snow on the hills in Donegal today

Mimon wrote: »
    Got ridiculed for telling friends that I remember a decent frost in June. Would have been early 90's so possibly that time.

If I recall correctly July is the only month in Ireland without a frost recorded at one of the weather stations?

In the North the record low for July is -1.1 in Tyrone and -0.3 in Longford.

Mimon wrote: »

Met Eireann has the all time July low at -0.3c in Longford:

https://www.met.ie/climate/weather-extreme-records

Ground frosts however, although rare, are not unheard of in July.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭pauldry

-5.6c record low for May

Any chance of us hitting that?

-3c tonight ...maybe -4c in Mt Dillon/Markree or Mullingar/Dublin Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I kinda got to wondering if this ongoing northerly stream has anything to do with (admittedly. very small) ongoing eruption in Iceland? I do remember back in 2010, that the much larger eruption there seemed to coincided with an unusual amount of northerly winds around this time of the year as well.

I was wondering if the weather had anything to do with the eruption of La Soufriere in the Caribbean which is more active than the one in Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

pauldry wrote: »
    -5.6c record low for May

hope not!

I was wondering if the weather had anything to do with the eruption of La Soufriere in the Caribbean which is more active than the one in Iceland.
    God only knows but certainly a lot of ash thrown into the atmosphere from that series of eruptions a couple of weeks back.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

pauldry wrote: »
    -5.6c record low for May

There was a few nights heavy frost last May, burned the leaves off potatoes, and young trees around here, even damaged a few acres of Norway Spruce I'm growing, which is supposed to have good resistant to late frosts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Dickie10

wow your good! yes i remember being at wexford v kilkenny i thought it seemed like mid may all right everyone in coats and jackets. i was at it because Meath played Offaly in the first game in hurling , Meath put in a really brave perfermonance i think it was 2-12 to 2-18. yes the dublin -meath leinster final was played in a downpour and we got a famous breakthrough victory, we also had a famous THE breakthrough victory over dublin in july 1986 which was on a downpour as well. the famous 1986 summer!

i think the Laois v Meath leinster final was wet overcast day on August 10th 1991 too. the roscommon semi final was played in beautiful warm day and all ireland final v down where our heart was broken was also lovely and warm. That game still haunts many meath fans....

Advertisement