Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motor insurance and employment status

• 29-04-2021 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi folks,
    My motor insurance company lists my employment status as "employed" even though I am now retired (in my 60s). If I change this there is every chance they will use it as an excuse to jack up the premium (ref Liveline, RTE 1, 28/4/21). However if I do not change it, have an accident and they find out my true employment status (say by demanding proof of current employment), would they use that as an excuse to invalidate my policy?
    Thanks
    Trap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is retired an option for your insurer?
    Try sign up as a new user and see if retired is an option to select.

But yeah, car insurance for retired drivers can get more expensive as they grow older and become higher-risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Trapapony

Yes, "Retired" is an option. I can change that field myself if I log in to my account.
    Trap

You can do a mock quote with a fake mail and see what quote you get when setting yourself as retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You are obliged to advise your insurer of any material change in your circumstances. Occupation is one of those factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The guy on Liveline only had the quote go up by €29, not the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The guy on Liveline only had the quote go up by €29, not the end of the world.

I didn't hear it, but I would be surprised if he couldn't get cheaper by doing the market. Some people are fixated by what their existing insurers offer as a renewal. They're annual contracts' and either side are free to walk away

Shop around. There is always someone cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Reluctant as I am to respond to a thread started because of what some whinger was heard to tell Joe Duffy ....

Being retired isn't necessarily a negative when it comes to motor insurance. Tell them to remove commuting from the list of permitted uses and if they're interested in your annual mileage, get that lowered. Both of those should reduce the quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Trapapony wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    My motor insurance company lists my employment status as "employed"

I assume you're talking about the the schedule/statement of facts which your insurer sent you at your last renewal.

There may be discussions and hair-splitting about what is and is not a 'material fact' but there's no grey area if the detail is on that list, you must inform them of any change.

Axa:
    In the event that any detail that you have supplied to us and appearing on this Statement of Fact is incorrect then you need to advise us immediately.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tell the truth O.P.

Trying to save a couple of € premium by jeopardising your cover is a really bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

coylemj wrote: »
    Reluctant as I am to respond to a thread started because of what some whinger was heard to tell Joe Duffy ....

Being retired isn't necessarily a negative when it comes to motor insurance. Tell them to remove commuting from the list of permitted uses and if they're interested in your annual mileage, get that lowered. Both of those should reduce the quote.

As said above - retired - remove commuting & lower mileage if relevant both will counter-swing the occup adjustment.
    Your employed occupation may have been discounting your policy rate based on schemes perks - teacher/Garda/frontline staff or even some local employers also retiring will mean you’d loose the once ‘Free breakdown’ perks thus why increases in rates.

Some retired drivers increase their mileage also as more time on their hands. Happy Retirement

Advertisement