Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EV insurance prices

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Cheaper

I saved >250 vs an e60 535d

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

€400 for Ioniq, €150 - 200 cheaper than my Berlingo was (400 less to tax too). Mid 30s full no claims.

Ioniq isn't particularly powerful car though so I'd imagine Tesla etc would be a different ball game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭C@t

Apart from the cost, what should one look out for when insuring an EV, that would be different from an ICE car?
    E.g. check that charging cables are covered for damage/theft, does the policy breakdown cover apply for recovery if you run out of electricity..

Is there anything else that should be checked for if moving to an EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭loopymum

Nissan leaf 280 fully comp with Stepback and protected no claims with aviva as a second car for the oh. We have other policies with them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭eagerv

Ioniq about €340, about €40 more than her 11 yr old Prius. A little older than Mickeroo:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

is there any insurance companies that should be avoided for ev's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭eagerv

phill106 wrote: »
    is there any insurance companies that should be avoided for ev's?

I would imagine similar to any car. ie the few companies not great if you need a claim often mentioned on this forum. We are with Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Perhaps it would help folks if your insurance company was mentioned when quoting premiums, as it might help some folk narrow down the best companies to phone?

Some good quotes so far, could posters EDIT their posts to include company?

We are currently €348 for a Leaf, with renewal at 368. Thats with Allianz.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thanks all

I’ll find out soon enough ordered an etron this morning !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Broker : JLT
    Insurer : Allianz
    Premium €283

The full works. Driving other cars fully comp. 2 claims in 3 years etc
    Business use included.

Staff scheme though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Gumbo wrote: »
    Premium €283

The full works. Driving other cars fully comp. 2 claims in 3 years etc
    Business use included.

Bloody hell. I think I've found my match in someone who gets the best deals going :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    Bloody hell. I think I've found my match in someone who gets the best deals going :p

I haven’t lost money on a car since I sold my first car back in 2001.
    Bought right, sold right, got lucky, wise decisions etc

Give you a great example.
    Went down to a dealer in Airside in 2010. Recession kicked in. I was going to look at a 120d they had.
    Had 10k with me. Turns out the dealers some took the 120d as his own car blew a chain that day or something.

They had a 2005 320d E90 in the corner for 13950.
    Showed him my money and told him I was buying a car today. It was a Friday. Getting ready to close for the weekend. I walked out with that 320d for 10,600.

Sold it a year later for 13,500!
    Being doing the same on every car. Not all as much profit though.
    Bought an S3 for 5500 and sold it 8 months later for 6850. I’ll
    Always remember that car. Great little yokes.
    My 535 cost me 13600. Sold it 18 months later for 15k.
    525 cost me 10. Sold for 11.
    530 E39 Aegean Blue limited edition cost me under 5k. Great car. Sold it a year later for 6600. That went to cork.
    MG ZR bought on adverts for a run around
    For under 1450 as it had just Failed NCT as the washer jets not working. Car had recently got the upgraded head gasket done and whoever done it rested one of the engine mounts on the water line :)
    Fixed it for no cost. Drove it for 6 months and sold it for 2450.

A few other cars in between such as ML270 that balanced out over 2 years, Evo 5 that I sold for what it cost including mods etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

loopymum wrote: »
    Nissan leaf 280 fully comp with Stepback and protected no claims with aviva as a second car for the oh. We have other policies with them also.

How the heck did you get that? I have 4 policies with them (2 cars included), tons of years NCB, no PPs and the feckers still would not quote me for less than circa €400 on each car. The last time I had €280 was between 2012 and 2016...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its that time of the year again, EV insurance up.

I know that many will say you just have to ring around to get the best quote, as one company might be cheaper for you versus me, but just want a straw poll to see if any company stands out as offering decent deals for EV owners.

I'm currently with Allianz for my 141 Leaf.
    Was €330 last year, looking for €350 to renew.

So, who's insuring your EV?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Moved to the Insurance Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with EV insurance thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

@niman I've been with Axa via Quotedevil for the last few years. I actually use QuoteDevil for house insurance and car. Unlike most brokers I've dealt with, when the renewal comes around they're nearly always still competitive.

I just renewed last month. Last year I paid I think €465. Renewal from QD came out at €525.

I priced all the usual online places and they were more expensive. Called a local broker in Letterkenny and they got me down to €480.

Called QD, they first said they would match the €480, but also said they'd go direct to the insurer and see if they could get any additional discounts. Came back 2 minutes later with €400.

Offer accepted ASAP needless to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Aviva - €295 (Jan 2021) for fully comp (new EV) and a named driver. Full NCD, Bonus protection, etc.

I am getting an extra discount as I have multiple policies with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

38 years old

2021 Nissan Leaf 40kw

13 years driving

No claims

Renewal quote email from 123 was €580

liberty: €429.43

Axa: €535.79

Zurich: €747.39

Allianz: €574.96

FBD: €532.75

Aviva: €545.35

SuperValu: €533.03

BOI: €448.87

123: €370.79

Phone call to 123 quoting the online quote and ended up matching for the renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hopefully, further chipset shortage notwithstanding, should be picking up an EV at some stage this year.

Just wondering if there are any EV owners up for renewal that might help when shopping around - if you have positive experiences or better quotes for EV ownership, etc.?

I'll be picking up a VW ID.3 Tour 5 (although it's already 5+ months waiting at this stage).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭zg3409

EVs are nothing special, prices vary a lot, depends on car and driver history.

You should check if new car comes with free breakdown from manufacturer of car. Check it covers towing back to home if battery runs flat.

If not you may want break down, personally I take the risk, and can pay for a tow truck if caught out.

Homestart is typically not covered by most policies at standard in case you have a flat tyre at home etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Which insurance companies are people going with?

I'm trying to buy insurance on a 212 Tesla Model 3 (SR+, RWD - approx €50k) and the cheapest quotes I am getting are more than €600

Profile: mid-40's with 19+ years Full driver licence, insurance in own name, 6+ years NCD, 0 Penalty points, OH has a similar profile.

I've tried

• Chill
    • The AA
    • 123.ie
    • Quote Devil
    • SuperValu
    • Bank of Ireland
    • Axa
    • Aviva (online they won't quote me because Tesla is not a listed car make 🙄)
    • Liberty (no online quote)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Metalpanic

182 Nissan Leaf- First policy, 10+ years of named driver experience

Zurich- €594.22

AXA- €613.29

AA- €604.29

123.ie- €915.57

its4women- €963.25

An Post- €547.34

bonkers (Zurich)- €669.30

Allianz- €535.28 (with some options)

KennCo- (through Quote Devil) 520

Post edited by Metalpanic on

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

No quote from Zurich, AXA etc. 123.ie at 1400 for Volvo C40. 1 Year NCB.

Question : I have a car which will complete two year insurance in July (NCB of second year).

The new Car will arrive in next 15 days. What should I do not to lose 2nd years No claim Bonus on existing car. .

Please advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Ncb isn't linked to the car it's related to your periods of insurance. Just get your existing insurer to transfer insurance to the new car and in July you'll have your 2 years ncb

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

Thanks, managed to do it :-). Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Some very wide quote ranges here from 300-700 for what seem to be similar profiles!

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

EV insurance for Tesla model 3 RWD

evinsurance - €1,055.00

Chill - €700 for 9 months mid-premium (€420 initially on old car)

Aviva - €441.70

Quite some differences there

Advertisement