Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ye a word?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magentur

looksee wrote: »
    Here you are using 'yere' as a version of 'ye/you are' or 'you're' but the argument being made was that 'yere' was a plural of 'your'.

Maybe it would be a possible single word alternative to the 'your' 'you're' and associated plurals confusion, in reality it would just be adding a further word to the mix.

Yere proposals in relation to alternatives that would provide more clarity to yere written communications are interesting. Maybe ye might consider adopting cork colloquialisms instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

My daughter was watching some faff about cake making on Netflix (Sugar Rush) and I happened to overhear a line from one of the judges which was like nails down a chalkboard..."Y'all's cake tastes sooo gooood".

While I can accept "y'all" as a valid contraction of you all, y'all's cannot be the possessive case...pass the gin please.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Yakuza wrote: »

While I can accept "y'all" as a valid contraction of you all

Y'all is an American colloqulism.
    Ye is what we use in these parts

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's a country thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Y'all is an American colloqulism.
    Ye is what we use in these parts

It was being spoken by an American on an American program, so I had no issue with that..."y'all's" ground my gears. (As would an Irish person saying y'all in a non-ironic way).

• Advertisement
Advertisement