Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you just don't get...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't get why re-reg trolls bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭randd1

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't get why re-reg trolls bother.

They have little else going for them apart from being hollow shells of human beings and the pathetic need to wind people up.

Mediums
    Psychics
    Healing Crystals
    Voodoo
    Aura Cleanses
    Fortune Tellers

What I don't get is why intelligent people believe in this absolute pile of crap.

And why is it mostly women that believe it?

Why vegans/vegetarians get mince that's been flavoured to taste like meat.

Just eat the bloody meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

People who watch youtube without an adblocker or moving to vanced or newpipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Why a "ph" is pronounced "f".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Greek Phi was once pronounced as a hard "P" in Ancient Greek. So, Latin inscriptions wrote it as "PH" to show that it's a P sound, but with more air with H. As Greek changed, so did the Greek based English words. In Modern Greek, Phi is pronounced as "F", and no longer like "PH"/a hard P.

Still stupid though!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

randd1 wrote: »

Always wonder that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Girls/Women who wears beautiful dresses but then totally destroy the look (imo) by wearing a pair of chunky heels.. and to make matters worse, more often that not they can't even walk in said shoes which makes them look even worse.. I just don't get it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Gammyeye wrote: »
    Saturday Night Live on American telly. Is it that I don't get it or is it really that bad?

It seems really popular but I've watched loads of clips of it and I've never once cracked a smile. I've heard this cowbell sketch was meant to be the best one, but jeez... awful rubbish.

Any others
    Same but most Americans dont think Father Ted is funny. So i think its a cultural thing.

SNL just seems like hurriedly put together rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Sunbathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Same but most Americans dont think Father Ted is funny. So i think its a cultural thing.

They tried to put on Eastenders on PBS in America. It lasted 2 weeks id say

It’s live. Mostly we do get American (scripted) comedy over here. But then we grew up with it.

SNL is running on fumes, the odd skit aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

cj maxx wrote: »
    They tried to put on Eastenders on PBS in America. It lasted 2 weeks id say

I'm surprised that the soap itself lasted so long, looks like utter misery and populated by unlikeable chunts any time I looked at a few mins of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Tattoos ... on certain parts of the body.

Saw this fella out jogging the other day, and he had both calfs covered in tats, which I guess 'he thought' looked dead interesting and arty, but which I thought looked rediculous, I mean calfs are calfs, and why would you cover them in sh|t?

I don't get it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Tattoos, scarification, rings under noses,
    through lips and eyebrows.

People who choose to still smoke cigarettes.

Cigarette butts, leftover bottles, plastic and paper cups strewn in city streets and parks. I was biking and stopped at a favorite spot of mine at the foot of rapids, and picked up four cups and cans a couple of days ago. I turned around and saw 9 rubbish bins from where I stood.

No excuse for littering obviously but Where did you see 9 rubbish bins from where you stood? It’s usually a struggle to find 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Monopoly - it goes on forever, and any time I'm winning / losing I just view it as chance.

Thats the point of the game, to demonstrate how bad capitalism is, specifically renting out property, and that there's no special skill in being successful at it. Also, the only way to win is to make everyone else poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

When someone pays good money for a new car. They then drive around with the car dealer's advertising sticker on the back window, an advertisement on the number plate and in the case of Gowan Motors, a big plastic advert stuck on to the boot of your car, advertising Gowan. And they allow this because he was a nice man who sold me the car....

I would never buy a car from a dealer that puts those plastic logos on the body of the car.

The love affair between Irish media and the Allen cookery school/food production empire.

Lots of worthy chefs and restaurateurs in the doldrums right now who could use some publicity but the fcukin loaded Allen's are always on speed dial for anything remotely food related.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

randd1 wrote: »
    Mediums
    Psychics
    Healing Crystals
    Voodoo
    Aura Cleanses
    Fortune Tellers

What I don't get is why intelligent people believe in this absolute pile of crap.

This is one thing that really gets me so angry.
    Psychics, or liars as prefer to call them are despicable charlatans, preying on vulnerable people, they make my blood boil.

Dead people can't talk, simple as, yet these chancers who tell people they have "the gift", seem to think they can.

My dad died over 40 years ago, my brother over 30 years and mam died in 95, and not once have I heard from them, why......because they are dead, and cannot talk.

I would love to hear from them, just to have one more conversation with them, get to tell them what I didn't get to say to them, but I can't, but apparently if I give these "mystics" €50 or whatever, they'll get through on the hotline to them !!!!

Hate them with a passion:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RikkFlair wrote: »
    The obsession (even on this side of the channel) with the British Royal Family

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/harry-and-meghan-the-union-of-two-great-houses-the-windsors-and-the-celebrities-is-complete-1.4504502
    Having a monarchy next door is a little like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and has daubed their house with clown murals, displays clown dolls in each window and has an insatiable desire to hear about and discuss clown-related news stories. More specifically, for the Irish, it’s like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and, also, your grandfather was murdered by a clown.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Any one care to explain what crypto currency’s is
    Cryptocurrency is literally like an eight-year-old's concept of an evil businessman. He just plugs his pollution machine in and gets money for it.

It doesn't make anything, it just pollutes and makes money.

Monopoly - it goes on forever, and any time I'm winning / losing I just view it as chance.
    It only goes on forever if you use house rules like €400 when passing Go or have a pot for all the fines or don't apply 10% on mortgages etc.

And yes it was designed to make you frustrated at capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

Sci fi - I'm a realist i'm afraid
    'following' celebrities - I don't know you so I don't care about you
    reality tv - ditto
    donuts - grease, dough and sugar all in one ...
    have finally realised in life that I hate getting my hair done - 3 hours of my life I will never get back wasted sitting on my butt
    I think i've finally transitioned into a grumpy old lady!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

No excuse for littering obviously but Where did you see 9 rubbish bins from where you stood? It’s usually a struggle to find 1.
    I think he's in Canada, and I'd say Quebec, going by the username. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

The TV show, The Wire! (running away from thread now)..

sporina wrote: »
    The TV show, The Wire! (running away from thread now)..

Watched the first episode, found the characters speaking in some argot with a passing resemblance to english, ugh, so not bothered deciphering this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Why "phonetic" isn't spelt with an F.

Why the "What's the etiquette here??" thread has 7500 posts.

7500 posts about poo. Mind boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Why the "What's the etiquette here??" thread has 7500 posts.

7500 posts about poo. Mind boggling.

7500 posts of pure poetry you mean

Advertisement