Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stark Tower (Superheroes Off Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Weird, I was just talking about this series last night and how I never got past maybe the second episode despite it being fine.

Film or Netflix would be good with me but I'd probably also lean towards Netflix.

For me Wesley Snipes Blade really doesn't get the credit it deserves for kickstarting the modern *Marvel films and I would love to see Blade given a backing and I would also pick Netflix.

*X-Men seems to get that.

Next up is the Birds of Prey series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Couldn't agree more. People always credit X-Men and even Spider-Man with kicking it all off but Blade got there first and was, imo, much better than either of them. I tried to go see it in the Savoy when it came out but I was in first year and the guy wouldn't let me in. Ended up having to wait til it was out on video and buying it!

That opening scene of Blade is still one of the greatest starting points to any movie.

Snipes just got Blade.

NSFW

Sh1t I'm off to watch Blade now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally got around to watching Blade the series it wasn't great but it also wasn't as bad as I was expecting either.

I really would love to see Marvel reboot Blade either in the film MCU or even better on Netflix.

I dunno how/if it could work but I'd lean towards some form of tier 2 universe, the comics universe always felt a little over stuffed and I worry the same is happening with the MCU. Blade totally deserves another shake but throwing vampires et al into the MCU feels weird. Maybe some parallel universe, ring fencing tone appropriate works together...

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno how/if it could work but I'd lean towards some form of tier 2 universe, the comics universe always felt a little over stuffed and I worry the same is happening with the MCU. Blade totally deserves another shake but throwing vampires et al into the MCU feels weird. Maybe some parallel universe, ring fencing tone appropriate works together...

They opened the door for it on AoS with Darkhold.

For me Blade really does deserve to have his place in the MCU you could stick him on a Netflix series in the same way the Defenders are there once that run is over.

They are part of the MCU but not directly linked as such.

There was talk of doing a Marvel Knights run on Netflix the same way they did The Defenders and I think that would work.

A Blade series
    A Ghost Rider series
    A Moon Knight series

They could even do a Man-Thing series

Bring them altogether as a team in the end.

They opened the door for it on AoS with Darkhold.

For me Blade really does deserve to have his place in the MCU you could stick him on a Netflix series in the same way the Defenders are there once that run is over.

They are part of the MCU but not directly linked as such.

There was talk of doing a Marvel Knights run on Netflix the same way they did The Defenders and I think that would work.

A Blade series
    A Ghost Rider series
    A Moon Knight series

They could even do a Man-Thing series

Bring them altogether as a team in the end.

Wouldn't be into Man-Thing but Nighthawk would be a cool fourth to that team...

Ah I have a soft spot for Man-Thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ah I have a soft spot for Man-Thing.

ooh-matron-kenneth-williams-carry-on-bouvier-des-flandres-puppies-for-sale-uk.jpg?w=1400

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Couldn't agree more. People always credit X-Men and even Spider-Man with kicking it all off but Blade got there first and was, imo, much better than either of them. I tried to go see it in the Savoy when it came out but I was in first year and the guy wouldn't let me in. Ended up having to wait til it was out on video and buying it!

I love going back and watching Blade now. You're both 100% correct never gets the credit it deserves- I love watching it kinda half defining what super hero films would be for the next decade after years out in the cold.

• Advertisement

Stan Lee's wife Joan died last night at 93. Married for almost 70 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Penn wrote: »
    Stan Lee's wife Joan died last night at 93. Married for almost 70 years.
    Just watched this. Got me in the feels

So now that Infinity War footage has been seen publicly, I have to avoid the Upcoming MCU movies thread... does anyone else avoid trailers, footage, news etc like I do? I full on leave my fiancée sitting alone in the cinema when Marvel trailers come on. I just leave the screen. But when the movie roll around and literally every moment is fresh to me, I'm always really thankful for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Leaving the screen seems a bit much! :eek: :) But honestly, I try to find a balance: trailers can be a bit risky, but by and large the MCU trailers don't tend to be as spoilerific as other studios' so I'm happy to watch them. Generally, I like to get some sense of how a film is shaping up, visually tonally etc. anyway and promos / trailers are as good a way as any. The D23 stuff is easily avoided while it's still just written transcripts imo...

Yep, most people would likely agree that it's a bit much... I just like to go in with no expectations. For example, the trailers for Civil War apparently showed practically no plot BUT because I avoided all marketing stuff, I went in not knowing Ant-Man was in it, not knowing which side anyone was on (bar the obvious that Falcon would side with Cap and Rhodey would side with Iron Man), not knowing who the villain was etc. A friend told me that the Cap & Winter Soldier vs Iron Man fight was featured in the trailer and, even though it seemingly gave nothing away, he was kinda always waiting for it. By that very fact, it gave loads away because when they arrived at the base, I was convinced that their rivalry was over, whereas he knew there was a fight to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's something I wished I had the will power to do but I watch a lot of YouTube shows and videos and inevitably when a new trailer drops most, if not all the channels will cover those new trailers in their content.

And it's kinda all part of the build up to a big film, the excitement of a new trailer and people talking about what they noticed and speculation about what might happen. So I do enjoy it as well.

I wished at times studios would be more mindful about the stuff they release but at the end of the day it's the marketing teams job to get as many people in the cinemas as possible so they will use stuff that maybe they should hold back.

The Spider-man trailers almost completely showed the
    entire boat scene including the fact that IronMan comes to the rescue and then shows Tony asking for the suit back.
    Way way too much for a trailer imo.

Yeah, I almost wish I could get involved in the hype to be honest. It's a balancing act, I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

For sure though if you can keep away, the experience in the cinema is so worth it.

Some of my favorite films from the last couple of years have usually been ones I've gone in knowing very little to nothing about. I suppose it helps when you aren't sitting there waiting for certain scenes you've seen in a trailer to show up or have over hyped expectations because the trailers were so good. I think you're probably able to make any film look half decent if you cut the right trailer. Actually I think there's a YouTube channel out there that does such things.

Obviously there's little to no chance of this happening, but I'd really like it if studios started working it so that trailers don't show scenes beyond a certain point in a film. Say for example in a 2 hour film only show footage from the first 50/60 minutes. It would be nice knowing you've got so much unseen going into every film but that's dreamland stuff really.

I'll be going to see Dunkirk next week having seen almost nothing of the marketing in the lead up so I'm really looking forward to that.

The superhero stuff is very difficult to avoid. The marketing budgets on the them make sure of that. I'm not sure I could go totally dark on something like Infinity War for the guts of a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Much like Coulson posted at the top of the page, Bosslogic definitely worth a follow on Twitter, really great stuff, seen this on Instagram early this morning.

DF5EwkOVwAAZ2lx.jpg

A link to the Nerdist website embedded video of the best Batman Kevin Conroy reading “you either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain”

http://nerdist.com/hear-kevin-conroy-read-the-iconic-the-dark-knight-speech/

• Advertisement

Didn't spot him myself when I saw the film, but seems like James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy 2) is like myself a fan of Farscape, and asked Ben Browder to cameo in the film:

http://screenrant.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-ben-browder-farscape-cameo/

Frell!

A 3 hour cut of Donner's Superman is about to be released on Blu Ray.

21731064_10155716898496563_2382079175320172168_n.jpg?oh=64fe496b0ff7034519e297cdd5114e77&oe=5A5AE734

Kinda relevant here I guess. Kevin Smith had a massive heart attack last night. He's doing okay though

https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/968038297200091136

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

thank god hes ok his podcasts honestly help me through work most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

A link to the Nerdist website embedded video of the only Batman Kevin Conroy

Fixed that for you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Hello fellow superhero lovers! Super excited to have found this forum. Hopefully will bump up this thread :)

I wanted to share with you guys a game I’m running over on Forum Games. It’s a Marvel Cinematic Universe themed PEEHS game.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057996797/1

If you’re more of a DC fan or if you’re like me and you don’t discriminate against universes then we also have a Batman themed Werewolf game starting soon too!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057991943/1/#post110544613

I really wanted to share these with like minded folks and after a little digging and assistance from a couple of mods I’ve found the perfect place. I do hope some of you come over and join in on the shenanigans, there’s so much fun to be had!

Thanks for reading and thanks so much mods for allowing me to post, it’s much appreciated :D

Bumping this thread, and slightly quiet forum for an interesting question posed by Patrick H Willems: are the Joel Schumacher Batman films unfairly maligned?

I'm not sure I'm entirely convinced, but Willems puts forward a compelling and genuine argument that they are:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Sounds dedicated.

I thought I remembered a Spawn remake/reboot/sequel in the works but there's nothing on his IMDB.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0568825/

Sounds like the person you'd want behind the scenes for a spawn film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Advertisement