Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battlefield 1 general discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I hope its a titan, dont really care for WW2 shooters they were done to death before and there are some new ones on the horizon.

Either modern, bad company or 214?

Although once its not call of need for speed like the last battlefield im happy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I hope its a titan, dont really care for WW2 shooters they were done to death before and there are some new ones on the horizon.

What's on the horizon ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There is one possibility that one tie all the elements together.

And that's a 2142 prequel. If it covered the earlier part of the war, it would explain the fighting in the Baltic region, as PAC intially invaded the EU. It would explain the Titan references in the map name leaks. It would explain a Titan in the teaser too, with it being possibility the first sighting of titans being used.

Or are all the leaks could be crap and I'm grasping at straws.

jonski wrote: »
    What's on the horizon ?

There is batallion 1944 and days of war both funded kickstarters dont look to bad but i think they are multiplayer only no singleplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I dont know why none of the major FPS studios have never looked at a 'Chronicles' type approach, i.e. have 10 maps, but have say 4 different weapon / vehicle sets, - as in WW2, Vietnam, Present Day and Future. then just have different servers running the appropriate sets. Plenty of cities have been around since WW2, so I dont see why they couldnt have a map that'd support the various types.
    BF5 had a ridiculous amount of guns and gadgets, if it was trimmed back more in line with what was available in Bad Company 2, I dont see why it couldnt be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

sci fi battlefield doesnt make sense when Titanfall is carrying the sci fi torch for EA. I imagine if Hardline wasnt such a wet blanket you'd imagine it would have been very easy for EA to go for all 3 settings, past, present and sci fi with 3 titles. Instead they'll probably opt to play it safe with 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I wouldn't mind a prequel to 2142 as well. Loved the maps, and gameplay was nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Teaser out there makes it look like WW2 or WW1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Varik wrote: »
    Teaser out there makes it look like WW2 or WW1

Hard to know really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I thought it looked like a flak jacket from vietnam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I thought it looked like a flak jacket from vietnam.

Id take a Vietnam setting just for music in the Huey.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    sci fi battlefield doesnt make sense when Titanfall is carrying the sci fi torch for EA. I imagine if Hardline wasnt such a wet blanket you'd imagine it would have been very easy for EA to go for all 3 settings, past, present and sci fi with 3 titles. Instead they'll probably opt to play it safe with 5.

Yeah but titan fall didnt do as well as EA hoped and it died pretty quick vs BF3 & 4 which is still got a decent online presence and not to mention battlefield did future well before COD and Titanfall and a lot better than both combined.

A WW1 shooter I think wont be fun, the limited weapons and vehicles will hamper it and well it will just be trench warfare.

WW2 fine ill be happy with that once they do tanks and planes well too.

How people are getting a world war vibe from a very brief clip of a mans face a bit of his collar and a shadow, I dont know, there could be large collars in the future or he could be in a bomb disposal suit or he could just dress like that cause it makes him feel good.

Im keepin my fingers crossed for 214?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Yeah but titan fall didnt do as well as EA hoped and it died pretty quick vs BF3 & 4 which is still got a decent online presence and not to mention battlefield did future well before COD and Titanfall and a lot better than both combined.

Thats all true, but from a marketing perspective Titanfall 2 has been teased alongsie BF5 and is gearing up for its first true all platform release, even if the last one died a quick death EA are still going for a 2nd entry so they wouldnt want a sci fi battlefield distracting and confusing their line up.

WW2 fine ill be happy with that once they do tanks and planes well too.

you're in the same boat as me, I've seen you flying around War Thunder during the chronicles event. Its got you as a spoilt as me.

you're in the same boat as me, I've seen you flying around War Thunder during the chronicles event. Its got you as a spoilt as me.

yeah being trying for the tanks that game gets me worked up sometimes :p:p:p:p:p

if you combined battlefield with killing floor 2 for FPS/gunplay then war thunder for plane/tanks id never leave the game haha the perfect combo imo.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

****ing hell!

The preshow is 6 hours long????

yeah being trying for the tanks that game gets me worked up sometimes :p:p:p:p:p

if you combined battlefield with killing floor 2 for FPS/gunplay then war thunder for plane/tanks id never leave the game haha the perfect combo imo.

Got my KV2 last night. Just 2 more games to get my p38J premium and I'll have all 4 vehicles.

Frankly all battlefield needs to do is treat vehicles as actual separate teams

so instead of 32 vs 32

it would

16 vs 16 - infantry (four 4 man squads)
    8 vs 8 - armour (heavy tanks, light tanks, artillery, tank destroyers etc
    8 vs 8 - aircraft (fighters, attackers, light bombers)

That way tank and aircraft players could have actuall classes with their own strengths and weaknesses and their own objectives and the vehicles could perform less like power ups and more like actual vehicles

Parallel gaming.

Also allow DICE to buff infantry abilities since elements like tanks would be a much more permanent feature so every class should get 2 options for direct anti tank or at least disrupting tanks (smoke grenades)

****ing hell!

The preshow is 6 hours long????

An hour on each game with chit chat, 1942, BF2, Bad Company, BF3, Hardline, BF4 then BF5 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Just noticed from some stills of the vid that it looks like his ear is pierced, or would that be sweat? if pierced I think it would be closer to vietnam than either of the world wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

An hour on each game with chit chat, 1942, BF2, Bad Company, BF3, Hardline, BF4 then BF5 :D

Works out perfectly for me: Finish work, go for a couple of drinks, home, out for a run, shower, sit down and find out what the story is with BF5. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Either modern, bad company or 214?

Although once its not call of need for speed like the last battlefield im happy

zt5t7y2.gif
    image.jpg?w=588&c=1
    9049495.jpg

Did they go all gooey about the history of battlefield running up to BF4?

That does lean to it being a return to World War 2 or at least something drawing from their past.

But I didnt see Vietnam on their history list so I dont think it'll be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got my KV2 last night. Just 2 more games to get my p38J premium and I'll have all 4 vehicles.

Frankly all battlefield needs to do is treat vehicles as actual separate teams

so instead of 32 vs 32

it would

16 vs 16 - infantry (four 4 man squads)
    8 vs 8 - armour (heavy tanks, light tanks, artillery, tank destroyers etc
    8 vs 8 - aircraft (fighters, attackers, light bombers)

That way tank and aircraft players could have actuall classes with their own strengths and weaknesses and their own objectives and the vehicles could perform less like power ups and more like actual vehicles

Parallel gaming.

Also allow DICE to buff infantry abilities since elements like tanks would be a much more permanent feature so every class should get 2 options for direct anti tank or at least disrupting tanks (smoke grenades)

None of that seems likely, probably better off hoping for a infantry mode in War Thunder.

BF has you in a plane, parachuting out right into a tank, and then fighting through a town on foot. You're describing a completely different game to what BF have had and enjoyed for years.

No reason that vehicles cannot be expanded, they've done so to ever greater extents in the last 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

In fairness, there was a time back in the mid 2000s where the market had been so saturated with WW2 shooters for so long that it was getting really tiresome. But that's about a decade ago and there's been a dearth of quality ones since!

I had to say it ...

[IMG][/img]13p5t6.jpg

SmLUxa0.jpg

Leaked on xbox dashboard, discuss....

SmLUxa0.jpg

Alternate universe WW1 has to be!!!!! :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Well, that's a Mauser pistol, and a Zeppelin, so not future at all. But not WW2 either. That looks like a trench club, so the WW1 thing may be right surprisingly.

Looks Wolfenstein-ish

• Advertisement

SmLUxa0.jpg

If they allow me to jump from an old biplane and land on a zepplin, pistol whip a guard and then stick a spike grenade to a hydrogren balloon and jump off....

Day 1 purchase.

Advertisement