Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can an electric shower seize?

Options
  • 31-05-2021 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

It is a Mira Elite ST, and it started making a humming noise about a year ago but I could still use it. The noise has gotten really bad now and I haven''t really used it since. Turned it on today to see if I can do something with it. It's making a loud humming noise as if it is just stuck.

There is water coming out of the hose and the water is heated but there is no pressure behind the water. I notice the motor is not spinning and the noise is exactly the same as this noise here in this video. @1:47

https://youtu.be/3CKTSU6l-pk?t=104

The carbon brushes seem to have a good lot of 'meat' to them but I cannot turn the motor by hand. Just wondering what my options are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

“Calling sleeper12 to the electrical forum,sleeper12”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

It's seized, new motor needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

alan4cult wrote: »
    It's seized, new motor needed.

I guessed that. Looking at prices of a new motor I'd be better off getting a new shower I thinkðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

breadbin wrote:
    I guessed that. Looking at prices of a new motor I'd be better off getting a new shower I thinkðŸ˜

New motor is going to be 130ish with postage. Your shower is 6 to 16 years old and the average lifespan of an electric shower is 10 years. New triton t90sr or Mira elite se is around 240 euro.

When a motor is seized you have around 10 percent chance of freeing it up. With the power off try turning the pump impeller It's worth a shot before you bin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    New motor is going to be 130ish with postage. Your shower is 6 to 16 years old and the average lifespan of an electric shower is 10 years. New triton t90sr or Mira elite se is around 240 euro.

When a motor is seized you have around 10 percent chance of freeing it up. With the power off try turning the pump impeller It's worth a shot before you bin it.

I did try turning the impeller but couldn't. I didn't take the motor out so this was done while it was still in the shower. I might take it out for a proper look and clean. Is WD40 a bad idea here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

breadbin wrote:
    I did try turning the impeller but couldn't. I didn't take the motor out so this was done while it was still in the shower. I might take it out for a proper look and clean. Is WD40 a bad idea here?

It's worth a shot but I find if it's going to become free then it happens without too much effort

Advertisement