Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the Oak King the Green Man, and the Holly King the Horned God?

• 12-05-2005 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Does anyone else think of the Oak King as the Green Man, and the Holly King as the Horned God?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

To me they are all the one God in differing aspects, but there is to me a linking like you suggest.
    Growth and fertitliy and summer assocated with the Greenman and the Oak king,
    hunt and harvest and winter assocated with the Horned God and Holly king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I'm getting a slight feeling of déjà vu here.

Anyway, no, to me they are quite separate, I don't see the Honed God and the Green Man as being opposed to each other as the Oak King and Holly King are. I can see how you could say the Oak King is more like the Green Man than the Horned God and the Holly King is more like the Horned God than the Green Man, for the reasons Thaed gave above, but the connection isn't a firm one to my mine.

Advertisement