Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential SHTF scenarios & tinfoil hat thread (Please read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

krissovo wrote: »
    If I had a limit of €5k right now to spare this is how I would spend my bob's:

€1500 - Non perishable foodstuff, minimum 3 months of basic (nutritional) food for family but as proved on the other thread this could feed two people for a year!

€400 - Van hire/ferry tickets & fuel to mainland europe to buy cheap products. Poland would be a good choice of desintation and then buy:

€1500 - Tobacco, varrious brands and mix of rolling/ready made

€600 - HIGH RISK Wholesale products (from Germany) similar to a €2 store but items like multi tools, kids toys, seeds, home products...blah, blah.....

Can you post large amounts of baccy from Germany to Ireland?

eth0 wrote: »
    It would quite often be reasonable because even if one mere wisp of a scumbag appears inside the house you don't know how many are waiting outside. This kind of scum rarely goes it alone, they are too cowardly for that

also, there is the possibility of retaliation... shoot poor traveler boy dead and think of all those transits that will pull up outside your door!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

CamperMan wrote: »
    Can you post large amounts of baccy from Germany to Ireland?

Technically said Yes...So long as the duty has been paid on it.BUT I'd get it from Poland..Much cheaper again,if you drive another hour past Berlin to the frontier of Germany /Poland.;) And of course,in Ireland everything is different!!There is this policy,that if you are bringing in a large amount,Customs and excise might decide it is for further onward sales and confiscate it at trhe mail sorting office in Store St,or wherever it is these days.:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

CamperMan wrote: »
    also, there is the possibility of retaliation... shoot poor traveler boy dead and think of all those transits that will pull up outside your door!

Ask that old farmer who shot that one up in Mayo a few years ago..:rolleyes:
    Ok he did some jail time because he hadnt really planned his home defence stratgey out properly.He is still alive and well and not botherd by those kind of undesireables anymore.They still have a code of some honour.They expect to get shot or have dogs set on them,and accept it as the risk of stealing off the settled.It is if it is amongst their tribes that is when there is no holds barred warfare.Its more the juvenile urban scobe that is hopped out of their heads on drugs and are looking for cash off vunerable old age pensioners living by themselves that are going to be the ultimate scum problem.:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Folks, please drop the shooting travellers discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    asphyxiated by great walloping clouds of CO2, as used to happen near that African lake periodically, name escapes me at the moment.
    Lake Nyos, that was it.
    On August 21, 1986, possibly triggered by a landslide, Lake Nyos suddenly emitted a large cloud of CO2, which suffocated 1,700 people and 3,500 livestock in nearby towns and villages. Though not completely unprecedented, it was the first known large-scale asphyxiation caused by a natural event. To prevent a recurrence, a degassing tube that syphons water from the bottom layers of water to the top allowing the carbon dioxide to leak in safe quantities was installed in 2001, though additional tubes are needed to make the lake safe.

By my reckoning the safest places to be would be around North Africa and the Middle East, maybe central America, which by coincidence (or maybe not) served as the birthplace of human civilisation. See the map of global wind patterns:

GlobalWindPatterns.jpg

Europe, North America, Russia, all pretty much gone, but the prevailing westerlies and tropical easterlies should shunt most of the cloud cover around the equator and temperate zones. Also Africa as a continent is largely elevated and so insulated from sea rises. Thats making a lot of assumptions of course.

Thought this was great, where do you plan to spend the apocalypse?
    December 21, 2012 marks the end of the current cycle of the Mayan “Long Count” calendar. And while this has had some fearful types preparing for the end of the world, others have been preparing to travel.

The Mexican government is expecting 52 million tourists to visit the five regions -- Chiapas, Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Tabasco and Campeche, over the next 12 months, says the Latin American Herald Tribune.

According to goverment reports, the boom is part of Mexican President Felipe Calderon's tourism campaign: "Mundo Maya 2012," to promote Mexico as a unique destination.

So, if you're wondering where to spend the last tourist dollars you'll have as a breathing human being or just want to see the looks on those faces when December 21 comes and goes uneventfully, President Felipe Calderon hopes you'll choose Mexico.

Fair play to the Mexicans for cashing in, I'd do the same if I could. :D

Trouble is the long count calender could also be out by +/-50,5,or 25 years either side of this date of 2012.
    So it either already has happened,or might happen in the future.
    Whats supposed to happen anyway?Apart from the move into the Age of Aquarius in the solar system.
    Either which way it falls on a Friday 21st Dec and I reckon it will ruin a load of peoples weekend!:D

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Whats supposed to happen anyway?
    Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
    Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
    Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
    Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
    Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

these guys must have been on some trip :D

• Advertisement

Sounds like THE Christmas Week and holiday of a lifetime then!!:D:D

Seeing that I have been involved in Survivalism a long time ,and long before it was pouplar,understood or even conceived here in this great little country of ours[Apart from Jerry Ryan doing abit of crude sheep killing in the wilds:rolleyes:.]
    This little article from the declassified state papers kind of happened when I started being intrested first in survivalism for the same reasons.
    Of course when I mentioned this sort of stuff possibly going on around the 80s it was ridiculed,stupid ,weird etc..And survivalism...OMG!!:rolleyes::eek:

Damn I hate being right all the time!!!:D:D:D:D

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1231/1224309675053.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Is survivalsm not the opposite of state sanctioned cannon fodder?

I don't see how that article relates to survivalism in any way at all? Despite there being no mention of Ireland being invaded, it's hardly anything new in the history of our island to have a few foreigners arriving uninvited and taking up residence (and perhaps a few souvenirs). There were all sorts of plans made in the Cold War, some that I've seen would contradict this article but everything was up for discussion.

It is exactly as you said Tab,the exact opposite to state sponsored cannon fodder being supplied by a "neutral" state to a billgirent under conscription.
    No it doesnt have much to do with survivalism perse,but I put it up just to show what started me off in survivalism.Which is not just about bullets,bushcraft ,beans and bandages.
    Now,I dont know how old you are ,but it was a different world 30 years ago here in Ireland.Part of survivalism is also being able to read between the media/govt lies to see what is going on and prepare for it too.

And "invasion" can be just the just the same as "Invited"."Invited " like opening your front door and finding somone with a gun pointing at your head "inviting" themselves in.:rolleyes:
    Oh I forgot an Irishman from Lenister did invite in a few foreigners in here in 1169..Think they kind of took over the place??
    So I suppose Ivan would have said "By Lenins beard..The Irishskis have given the British running dogs a base ,and the Amerikanskis are using Shannon to land troops to bolster their units in Europe...but its a neutral country lets leave it alone....":rolleyes::rolleyes:.IF Ireland had done this,it would be a supporting beligerent for NATO ,and would have got hit no questions.

I'm intrigued..What other plans did you see or have seen?:confused:

So I suppose Ivan would have said "By Lenins beard..The Irishskis have given the British running dogs a base ,and the Amerikanskis are using Shannon to land troops to bolster their units in Europe...but its a neutral country lets leave it alone....":rolleyes::rolleyes:.IF Ireland had done this,it would be a supporting beligerent for NATO ,and would have got hit no questions.
    But sure what, were the brits going to show up and say "I say old bean, it appears we've just been turned into the world's largest glass car park, you wouldn't mind supplying a half million of your stoutest youths to defend said irradiated wasteland full of mutants with dental problems? If its not too much of a bother."

Still it does go to show how governments can dial the stupid right up to eleven. I've serious doubts that an Irish government would tell them to do anything but get bent mind you.

But sure what, were the brits going to show up and say "I say old bean, it appears we've just been turned into the world's largest glass car park, you wouldn't mind supplying a half million of your stoutest youths to defend said irradiated wasteland full of mutants with dental problems? If its not too much of a bother."

Still it does go to show how governments can dial the stupid right up to eleven. I've serious doubts that an Irish government would tell them to do anything but get bent mind you.

Proably in the 1st/2nd week as Warsaw Pact was rolling across most of Germany until they hit 1st serious NATO defence/counterattack along the Main/Rhine rivers.[Going by NATO wargames.]
    IOW before tactical nukes were cleared for the battlefield by either side,who might be losing, or this was grinding into stalemate..
    Crucial for NATO would have been establishing a sea/air bridge across the Atlantic.So I think there would have been one hell of an intresting sea air battle in the nth Atlantic on which Ireland, Iceland, and sthn Greenland would be most desireable real estate.
    I dont think The Irish Govt could tell the UK to get bent.Reckon by two days before it started in Europe,The British ambassador would be taking tea with "Mr Hockey",and stating.."Look my dear fellow..The Reds are coming,now HM would be greatly obliged for the use of the err.. Republic of Oireland,and president Raygun has said he would be frightfully obliged too if Shannon could be used permantly by us for the duration,and if not old chap we WILL be down here in your capital and country as an occupying force,and possibly hanging around another few hundred years...or of course you could be seen as assisting us and of course if it gets abit sticky..I'm sure we can get you and your family from that charming manor of yours in Kinsealy to a safe haven somplace?"
    Knowing that crook,that would have clinched the deal for him.:rolleyes:

I dont think The Irish Govt could tell the UK to get bent.Reckon by two days before it started in Europe,The British ambassador would be taking tea with "Mr Hockey",and stating.."Look my dear fellow..The Reds are coming,now HM would be greatly obliged for the use of the err.. Republic of Oireland,and president Raygun has said he would be frightfully obliged too if Shannon could be used permantly by us for the duration,and if not old chap we WILL be down here in your capital and country as an occupying force,and possibly hanging around another few hundred years...or of course you could be seen as assisting us and of course if it gets abit sticky..I'm sure we can get you and your family from that charming manor of yours in Kinsealy to a safe haven somplace?"
    Knowing that crook,that would have clinched the deal for him.:rolleyes:
    Hockey was a villain alright, but also one known for running arms against the brits.

Seriously they barely won the war against that world straddling superpower Argentina, the last thing they want to do is get on the wrong side of a neighbour like Ireland while holding off Russian nukes with the other hand.

The nineteenth century is long over.

Ahem,what exactly could the Irish throw up against the British army in a full blown contact??There were already enough troops up in NI,territorials ,along with paramilitary units,legal and illegal,combined the RUC to come down here take and secure whatever they needed,and dont say the IRA would have been able to stop them,along with the Irish army.All they would have been is come under British control as policing and pressganging the half million Paddies into the NATO forces.Reckon this would have been a 3 week affair.By then Armageddon would have happened or not.Simples.
    If we couldnt invade NI,we sure couldnt have held them off either.
    Not to mind the US armed forces would be also getting in on the act as well,as whatever retreating ,reorganising units of German,Austrian,Dutch Belgian ,[possibly Swiss]going by the document.So both Irish army and IRA would have been just rolled over.
    Comparing it to the Falklands is nowhere the same..The UK is what 60 miles at most from us,with all their resources.Maybe if Ireland had Argentinas military power at the time and had invaded the Isle of Man??:rolleyes:

Ahem,what exactly could the Irish throw up against the British army in a full blown contact??
    Ah that's why there's a union jack flying in every city in the land... oh wait... I didn't bother refuting most of your earlier points since it would be like handbagging a jellyfish, but you've taken a higher velocity flying leap off the deep end than usual here. Pressganging half a million people? Great, invade someone's country, train them up and hand them an automatic weapon, officer thinking there.

And Doc neatly sidesteps the question again and goes back to personal abuse!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Why not try answering the question Doc??
    Or is it just cutting into your rose or Emerald green tinted glasses????:rolleyes:

Hmm for a race that claims to hate the English oppressors we do an awful lot of aping of their culture,speak their langauge,watch their TV,read their papers,shop in their chain stores,support their football and rugby teams,emigrate and work in their mainland and former colonies,use their system of law and judical system,Go shopping in Northern Ireland to avoid paying our patriotic duties and Vat down here,refer to Dubliners as "Jackeens"...Yeah how many voulenteerd for the British army in the last conflict and still take the Queens shilling,and are killing for "Queen and country" in Afghanistan??
    Use their search and rescue for the Irish sea,Oh and had a BRITISH subject as our last president???No wonder she got on so well with our Monarch...Er...visiting head of state Queen Liz mk2
    "West Brits" most definately.;)
    ..But thats just what happens to slave cultures..They just start aping their masters in all ways...Think it is Stockholm Syndrome on a national level???

So without a doubt,it wouldnt have been too much of a problem to convince the us that this was only temporary,and we would have been sold it by one of our own cheif Bull****ters in the Dail no problem,like we are sold any ol bull**** here in Ireland.Yeah they would proably have been welcomed in no trouble without a shot being fired.

• Advertisement

And Doc neatly sidesteps the question again and goes back to personal abuse!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Why not try answering the question Doc??
    Or is it just cutting into your rose or Emerald green tinted glasses????:rolleyes:

Hmm for a race that claims to hate the English oppressors we do an awful lot of aping of their culture,speak their langauge,watch their TV,read their papers,shop in their chain stores,support their football and rugby teams,emigrate and work in their mainland and former colonies,use their system of law and judical system,Go shopping in Northern Ireland to avoid paying our patriotic duties and Vat down here,refer to Dubliners as "Jackeens"...Yeah how many voulenteerd for the British army in the last conflict and still take the Queens shilling,and are killing for "Queen and country" in Afghanistan??
    Use their search and rescue for the Irish sea,Oh and had a BRITISH subject as our last president???No wonder she got on so well with our Monarch...Er...visiting head of state Queen Liz mk2
    "West Brits" most definately.;)
    ..But thats just what happens to slave cultures..They just start aping their masters in all ways...Think it is Stockholm Syndrome on a national level???

So without a doubt,it wouldnt have been too much of a problem to convince the us that this was only temporary,and we would have been sold it by one of our own cheif Bull****ters in the Dail no problem,like we are sold any ol bull**** here in Ireland.Yeah they would proably have been welcomed in no trouble without a shot being fired.
    We're through the looking glass here alright. So you see no difference between watching a cost price soap opera, cheap shopping, and every able bodied man and woman being press ganged after invasion into the dregs of a foreign army to defend an already-nuked-into-the-stratosphere island?

Thats certainly some "independent" thinking.

There's no union jacks flying in Irish cities because the British got kicked the hell out of the place. You can work that into your conqueror narrative any way that makes you feel good.

In any case I've no doubt the members of the "slave culture" posting on this board will keep your sentiments in mind.

We're through the looking glass here alright. So you see no difference between watching a cost price soap opera, cheap shopping, and every able bodied man and woman being press ganged after invasion into the dregs of a foreign army to defend an already-nuked-into-the-stratosphere island?

Thats certainly some "independent" thinking.

There's no union jacks flying in Irish cities because the British got kicked the hell out of the place. You can work that into your conqueror narrative any way that makes you feel good.

In any case I've no doubt the members of the "slave culture" posting on this board will keep your sentiments in mind.

BWHAHAHAHAHAH!!
    How pathetic can it get???"The British were kicked out"" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Hmmm,I think the offer of the British in 1925 was an either or Hobsons choice???Partition and free state or great and terrible war??[David Llyod George] 10 rounds per IRA men,and the option of over 120K worth of British troops relanding in the 32 counties??Great options for negoiating there!
    BTW they are still here in NI and their culture is certainly alive and well here and the Irish lap it up and support it.
    You can deny this as much as you like,but it is fact and has been for a long time!
    Yeah,look at the long line of Gombeen men who led us thru history of this pathetic slave state.They would, and have sold us for whomever was offering the most money for their personal pocket,since Dirmud Mac Murrogh invited Strongbow &Co to sort out his spat..Up to todays gob****es!!
    So no doubt any Irish leader would have sold out.
    We have NOTHING had NOTHING then and now to prevent a UK re invasion,and dont give me the "risen people "speil.We had absolutely nothing to lose in the Famine,and we still wouldnt rise against the "squireens" or ascendency.:rolleyes:
    So you think that NATO,not to mind the Brits wouldnt/couldnt come in here and help themselves???Gimme a break! We couldnt fight off the army of Luxenbourg!!
    We are "West Britan" like it or not and have been since the late 1940s
    Reality sucks,but this isnt an independant nation,never was and isnt.
    Dont worry though Doc, it will be the Brits who will have to bail us out again from the French/Jerries"Our gallant allies from overseas" who now OWN our sorry asses!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: .Think the Bris were bad as overlords??Wait until those lot arrive,you aint seen nothing yet!!!

We have NOTHING had NOTHING then and now to prevent a UK re invasion,and dont give me the "risen people "speil
    Brilliant, so why is Ireland right now a free and independent country?

You've a bee in your bonnet about a lot of things, but the hive in your brain about this particular subject is pretty telling.

"Free"???:rolleyes:,just owning how many billions to the EU states and the ECB??? "Independant":rolleyes: Joining a European Federal Superstate to which it is now beholden?? We dont even have control of our own bogs anymore LOL!!
    Sold out by its own leaders and the peoples own stupidity...You dont need an army and boots on the ground to conquer countries anymore.
    We enslaved ourselves financially to the money markets and banks and were encouraged to do so by our "leaders" our banks and the finance houses of Europe..
    Who bailed out with their nice fat pensions before they were handed the bill.Very patriotic I must say...:rolleyes:
    The fact that you cant grasp this minor detail of reality is VERY telling too.
    Ireland is a enslaved and occupied country financially.And we did it all ourselves.:(
    And this time bombs and bullets wont sort it out.
    This kind of rabid republican outlook of yours has gone the way of the dinosaurs.
    Wars over Doc! The old enemy is now us and we are them.:p Get over it!!
    Which goes for the other side as well.Not all Paddies are bomb carring Provos!

"Free"???:rolleyes:,just owning how many billions to the EU states and the ECB??? "Independant":rolleyes: Joining a European Federal Superstate to which it is now beholden?? We dont even have control of our own bogs anymore LOL!!
    Sold out by its own leaders and the peoples own stupidity...You dont need an army and boots on the ground to conquer countries anymore.
    We enslaved ourselves financially to the money markets and banks and were encouraged to do so by our "leaders" our banks and the finance houses of Europe..
    Who bailed out with their nice fat pensions before they were handed the bill.Very patriotic I must say...:rolleyes:
    The fact that you cant grasp this minor detail of reality is VERY telling too.
    Ireland is a enslaved and occupied country financially.And we did it all ourselves.:(
    And this time bombs and bullets wont sort it out.
    This kind of rabid republican outlook of yours has gone the way of the dinosaurs.
    Wars over Doc! The old enemy is now us and we are them.:p Get over it!!
    Which goes for the other side as well.Not all Paddies are bomb carring Provos!
    Now look here... heh, I can't keep this up, its like playing chess with an epileptic in a nightclub, cruel and unusual.

I wish you luck grizz wherever you wander.

Depends on what kind of a nightclub it is too Doc.If it is an epileptic's nightclub.You might be the one at a disadvantage..

Likewise.. It was like an episode of Star Trek chatting to you..
    Exploring strange new worlds,and going boldly where no man has gone before!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

AAAAAAaaanyway

potential SHTF senarios

2 of the ones I can think of:

Disorderly euro collapse:

something happens in europe like the sudden collapse of a large financial institution leading to a loss of confidence so *puff* the euro no longer exists there is a couple of weeks where we have to survive without money bar any dollars or styerling you have in your possesion.

second one is a tidal wave caused by the explosion of one of the canary islands and its collapse into the sea assuming that you hear the warnings and get to higher ground plan your survival for the next few weeks

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

This one might not have the grand scale of invasions or methane disaster or euro collapse but its one that I believe is quite likely. Electricity strike. Specifically ESB strike. The unions there are among the most militant in the country and are quick to rattle the sabres when someone questions the pay and perks. So lets assume that something sparks a strike in the ESB. There may be a limited generation or inter connector capacity but at best electricity will have to be severely rationed with lengthy rolling blackouts.

Leave aside the impact on factories offices and Irelands reputation as a place to do business. Instead ask yourself how do you cope in such a scenario. Say the strike lasts 2 weeks before eiter the government backs down or a mob burn down the union hq. How would you manage in those 2 weeks. We are far more reliant on electricity than we were back in the 70s and 80s when the last strikes happened. Now pretty much everything in your home needs electricity. How do you cook if you have a modern electric cooker. How do you heat your home with no way to power the boiler. How do you light your home. How does water get to your home with no power getting to the pumping stations. How do you keep up to date with news on the strike or public service announcements? How do you buy food in the local shop if their cash registers dont work. How do you withdraw money with all your bank records now on an elctronic system and not in a book. How do you get petrol for your car from a dead pump.

If you can answer many of those question you are better prepared than most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Nice one.

still have gas stove from camping also have a gas Bar-b-que which I use throughout the year for cooking it would be a pain in the hole but do able so long as there was food in the shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Gas camp stove & Dutch oven
    Super ser / open fire plenty of fuel & lots of blankets
    Bottled water & Rain barrels
    About 10 days of extra food
    Extra cash
    Batteries & Candles
    Board games and books

Need to get
    Extra clothes (no washing machine )
    More paper plates cups ect