Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pagan places

• 04-02-2003 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I've been very impressed by the wealth of information given in some of the other threads. Definitely food for thought :)

I know the answer will most likely be "see for yourself" but, I plan to visit Ireland from the US, maybe even make the move someday, so here goes...

I was wondering if certain parts of the country or even certain specific places were more "pagan friendly" or spiritually empowering? Those are two different questions I guess.

Some places are less or more accepting of alternative religions, which can be great but I was wondering if some areas offer even more than just acceptance :) Are there communities that have more of a friendly pagan element? I guess opinions on places where its most unfriendly would be good to know as well ;) There are regional differences like that in the US if you generalize a bit.

Obviously when considering a move there are lots of other factors but, if certain areas/counties "felt" much stronger I would love to hear of some experiences. Obviously those feelings are your own and might be completely different from someone else (including me but it seemed like an interesting topic :). People will always get different impressions of places but I would love to hear some of yours.

_Alizarin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Yes two different questions. So I'll answer one at a time:

"spiritually empowering":

YMMV. This is obviously going to be a personal thing, though a trip to Newgrange will at least be worth it for the sheer impressiveness of the place if for no other reason. Getting there on the morning of Litha will require 10 years or more on a waiting list (or an invitation from the President or Taoiseach, who get to bring a couple of guests IIRC).

Brid's Well in Kildare is a famous landmark, and is heavily used as a place of pilgrimage because Catholics consider it to be Saint Brigit's well. To some that might be a bit off-putting, but if you're of an ecumenical mindset (like I am) it adds to the place's significance.

The country is liberally dotted with old forts, fairy hills, fairy trees, pre-Celtic and Celtic structures, which may be of interest to you. Just which might be worth visiting is something to work out when you have more definite plans for a visit.

Pagan-Friendly:

There are moots (open meetings) held in Dublin, and last time I heard in Galway, at least one in the North, and perhaps elsewhere. (I really should start putting the Dublin ones in the announcements).

The Grove of Sinann might be worth looking at.

Advertisement