Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Kattunge wrote: »
    Great pic JCD.

Collected my kittens this morning from their overnight stay at the vets (after being neutered). They have recovered really well and are enjoying being back with their Mama. I didn't sleep a wink the last few nights thinking of them. Hope pets everywhere are safe and sound on this awful morning.

Ah good news! What they call a good job well done.

All my five are safe abed with me, all curled up fast asleep. Boycat was the last in; sopping wet long hair.. He is under the covers as he just pushed his way in! REALLY!

The weather is truly unspeakable! Just unbelievable aerial carnage out here. No ferry for the shopping trip is postponed; seems to be a lull tomorrow before the next battering.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well I think the day or next couple of days has come where I will have to say good bye to my best friend. He is a little over 16 years and 6 months old. He spent last night walking around the house aimlessly banging into walls and doors. He only has one eye as he had to have the other removed a couple of months ago as it got infected and he doesn't have great eye sight in the other eye.

He can't stand up today he has been lying down on blankets in the kitchen since about 8 this morning.

I'm not sure if he is in pain but I will have to play it by the day and I may have to end up getting him put to sleep. I will leave him today and if no change later or tomorrow that day has come. I thought he would make it to my other dogs 15th birthday which is this day next week. You never know miracles can happen and he might come around but his future isn't looking too bright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

had to put my collie asleep last year, he was fine until he got a stroke, it breaks your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The two last posts have me in tears. I'm so sad for you both. You never forget your faithful friends.

I heard rattling outside earlier. When I went to check? Stinkertom rummaging in a bag of empty cat food tins trying to scrape even a taste of food...

@ owner!

Needless to say there is food out for him now. What is one more! And the cat food delivery was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

There is a few fireworks going off somewhere nearby. It’s bucketing rain and the letterbox is rattling in the wind. There’s nothing as queer as folks. Thankfully nobody here is bothered by the fireworks, they are more interested in investigating the rattling letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

There is a few fireworks going off somewhere nearby. It’s bucketing rain and the letterbox is rattling in the wind. There’s nothing as queer as folks. Thankfully nobody here is bothered by the fireworks, they are more interested in investigating the rattling letterbox.

Oh your so lucky, it’s like a war zone here, we’ve wool filled mattress toppers over the all the glazing ( single aspect room with floor to ceiling glazing one end) , snuffle mats, frozen chicken legs for later, sileo... I’m exhausted already

I had a friend who was an old Yorkshire lass, blind. She used to say, " Nowt so queer as folks"

It is good all is well there.. what the call a " damp squib"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Very bad here :( Bailey decided he wanted to hide under the stairs the other evening when there was an explosion outside that even set my neighbour's alarm off :mad:.. so I cleared out a space made up a little den. He's happy to stay in there for now and getting lots of lick mats and chews to keep him busy. I have his pet remedy plugin there too and relaxing music playing on the laptop. I'm just glad he's not frantic and wanting to go upstairs - i don't trust him going up and down himself in case he slips(!)
    531290.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I’m lucky that Esmae is ok unless one goes off directly outside, when that happens I shower the floor with tiny bits of cheese, she spends ages licking the floor.

The only thing is that the apartment is really warm & she’s laying out on the cool mat as she’s that warm. My OH might have to spend the evening in the loo with Mr C if this keeps up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

I spoke to soon. Up hiding in the corner of the bathroom, a room he usually avoids because it means its time for a shower. He won't take treats, chews or toys. Just leaving him be until he is ready to come out. Just feel so bad for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

zedhead wrote: »
    I spoke to soon. Up hiding in the corner of the bathroom, a room he usually avoids because it means its time for a shower. He won't take treats, chews or toys. Just leaving him be until he is ready to come out. Just feel so bad for him

Could you make a little den for him with a cardboard box, towels, or anything that could enclose him in a dark place that might make him feel safer?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Could you make a little den for him with a cardboard box, towels, or anything that could enclose him in a dark place that might make him feel safer?

He has a crate with a blanket over it but only goes into it at bed time.

Currently in the corner of the sitting room beside the couch where we put one of his blankets. Seems a little calmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

I was minding my brothers 3 GSDs along with my own one recently for a few days. Two of his are rescues who were locked up together for at least two years, male and female. His wife thinks they may have been used for breeding but the rescue didn't think so just neglected.

Anyway, when ever your are doing something the 4 of them would have to be involved. sniffing and generally being nosey. The female took an egg off me and basically kept it safe over the course of their stay. Slept with it, brought it outside when going to toilet, protecting it from the other three and hiding it under the cushion in her bed when going for a walk etc.

Anyone every come across a dog doing this? She also took in two abandoned kittens a while back and minded them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

all my dogs have been like that, have to be involved in everything, even jumping on the bed to between my wife and I.

Wife came home once with a bird a rook, had a damaged wing and kids were chasing it. I had a cockatoo cage that was in the shed , so kept him in that in the house, and by god did he stink, and nearly take the finger of you when you tried to feed him

Would take him out the back to let him get air move around and the neighbours cats would be watching but my dogs were watching out for the bird. adter a few days he would come to me to be brought in. Dog would play with him
    The bird would eventually sit on the dogs back, knowing he was safe with the dog as the cats would not dare come near the garden.

After a couple of weeks I found a bird sanctuary for him.

Sadly after my last collie died, the german shepherd suddenly got defensive and no longer took to cats or dogs that were near the house, and became bery protective, which he was not before when he has company.

I hope everyone is recovering from last night and that all will henceforth be peaceful.

Appalling weather and very sleepy-making! The cats are all zonked and I am not very far behind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Poor cat has been in the vets since monday on an IV to flush out her kidneys again after she stopped eating last weekend.
    She was supposed to come home last night but the nurse said she was still refusing to eat despite getting a few bags of fluids into her. They eventually had to syringe feed her to stimulate her appetite. Hopefully she'll be home today, we're just waiting on a call from the nurse.
    The vet mentioned maybe teaching us how to inject fluids directly ourselves so we don't need to keep bringing her back in to be put on the drip. That's a bit daunting but I'm sure we'll manage it.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Poor cat has been in the vets since monday on an IV to flush out her kidneys again after she stopped eating last weekend.
    She was supposed to come home last night but the nurse said she was still refusing to eat despite getting a few bags of fluids into her. They eventually had to syringe feed her to stimulate her appetite. Hopefully she'll be home today, we're just waiting on a call from the nurse.
    The vet mentioned maybe teaching us how to inject fluids directly ourselves so we don't need to keep bringing her back in to be put on the drip. That's a bit daunting but I'm sure we'll manage it.

:( sorry to hear about your cat. I did fluids at home with Lucy for good while. When they showed me how to do it and first couple of times at home it was a bit daunting but was fine after that.

I bought Newfie a buffalo horn from the petshop at his daycare today. He has a postman's leg but I heard they can be dangerous for dogs so I got a replacement chew. I brought him into the house with the horn in a paper bag, and made a big fuss of "Look at this! Look! For you!" and let him rip up the bag and grab the horn. He picked it up, suddenly dropped it and ran for his life. He approached it, ran backwards, and was trembling in the kitchen. I called him back and played with it, showing him it was all ok. He eventually came over and took it back, brought it into the garden and examined it carefully. Sorted. New favourite chew!

I hope he doesn't throw it around like he did with the postman's leg. Just as heavy and destructive. He especially likes to throw it at our shins when we're sitting down!

I got a buffalo horn for Lucy one time and she went mad with it - I hate to take it off her as it was cutting her gums up!

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    I got a buffalo horn for Lucy one time and she went mad with it - I hate to take it off her as it was cutting her gums up!

I'll be keeping an eye on Fras but he's like the Volvo of the dog world. Fairly indestructible but break down pretty soon....

My collie managed to open the kitchen window and run off to the neighbours house. My neighbour phoned me while I was in the supermarket, I thought she was deranged. When I came home, there was the window, wide open. Today I fitted locks.

madmaggie wrote: »
    My collie managed to open the kitchen window and run off to the neighbours house. My neighbour phoned me while I was in the supermarket, I thought she was deranged. When I came home, there was the window, wide open. Today I fitted locks.

That is one clever dog you have there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Cat has been home since yesterday evening and hasn't touched a bite of food since then. So back to the vets we go. Trying very hard not to panic.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Cat has been home since yesterday evening and hasn't touched a bite of food since then. So back to the vets we go. Trying very hard not to panic.

My cat was like this too and we let him go. With Lucy she wasn’t showing any symptoms - no weight loss, no excess thirst/peeing and was in great form. So we tried fluids but once the disease progressed I knew it was time to stop as it wasn’t fair on her :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Peixesapo

Not sure is this the right place to post this but I wasn't sure.

My partner and myself moved to Ireland 3 years ago. We came for a job that was not permanent and meant moving at some point. We made the decision that it wouldn't be responsible to own a dog.

We have now finally settled, gotten a permanent location and decided that at this point we can finally own the dog we have been wanting for the last 3 years. Currently looking to buy a house, we are renting a townhouse with no garden although we have a communal patio.

Every other shelter I have contacted require a fully enclosed garden. Back home I shared with different people who had dogs and I'm well used to looking after them. I was very close to a local shelter and my flat fostered a couple of dogs while waiting for a family, so I would like to adopt a dog instead of buying it but this rules leave me with two options, either buy a dog or don't own a dog at all.

Is there any shelter or association that would not require a garden? After level 5 I would love to start looking for one

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Peixesapo wrote: »
    Not sure is this the right place to post this but I wasn't sure.

My partner and myself moved to Ireland 3 years ago. We came for a job that was not permanent and meant moving at some point. We made the decision that it wouldn't be responsible to own a dog.

We have now finally settled, gotten a permanent location and decided that at this point we can finally own the dog we have been wanting for the last 3 years. Currently looking to buy a house, we are renting a townhouse with no garden although we have a communal patio.

Every other shelter I have contacted require a fully enclosed garden. Back home I shared with different people who had dogs and I'm well used to looking after them. I was very close to a local shelter and my flat fostered a couple of dogs while waiting for a family, so I would like to adopt a dog instead of buying it but this rules leave me with two options, either buy a dog or don't own a dog at all.

Is there any shelter or association that would not require a garden? After level 5 I would love to start looking for one

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Hi there, it is the rescues that have strict rules about enclosed gardens and someone home during the day, which excludes many people. The municipal/county council dog pounds do not have such strict rules and you can adopt directly from them. A lot of them have Facebook pages, where they put up pics of the dogs looking for homes.

Good luck with your search.

I recently adopted a dog from the council shelter. They were very insistent on the enclosed area, and someone at home. I was asked a lot of questions over the phone, and when I went to view the dog. They said it is to avoid dogs being returned. They were very thorough, but everything was in the dog's best interest.

madmaggie wrote: »
    I recently adopted a dog from the council shelter. They were very insistent on the enclosed area, and someone at home. I was asked a lot of questions over the phone, and when I went to view the dog. They said it is to avoid dogs being returned. They were very thorough, but everything was in the dog's best interest.

Oh ok, they may have tightened up, but they do not do home checks, which can take months and still refuse you.

Another way is to rehome privately, which I did with my current dog, a very scared dog found dumped, the finders didn’t want her to go to a pound so I took her and notified the pound about her, in case anyone enquired. There’s lots of dogs needing a loving home and while I understand that the rescues have to be careful, there’s lots of good responsible people out there deprived of a dog because of their strict rules. Lots of dogs live happily in apartments in other countries and people manage it through dog walkers, enrichment activities etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Has anyone else noticed their pets become extra hungry when the colder weather starts? Moose is like a bottomless pit at the moment. They are left with dry food all day to graze on, plus more in a puzzle feeder which all three cats love. As well as that, they get wet food 3 times a day. The last two weeks, Moose has been finishing off his own bowl of food in the evenings, then cleaning up whatever peach and cream have left in theirs, then an hour or two later he’ll coming begging for his second dinner and I have to give him another half pouch of food. He’s always been such a fussy eater so this is definitely a welcome change to see him eat, but he’s going to eat me out of house and home soon!!
    And with all the extra food he’s eating, he’s still such a skinny boy. He’s perfectly healthy and has super muscles but not a pick of fat on his body!

Advertisement