Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Thanks guys really detailed answers there it's a huge help for a new lifter. I probably did read the spreadsheet wrong alright and it's 5lbs increase for press exercises.
    The last set i have been doing amrap for the squat and deadlift I've been stopping at 20 reps. As I was overly cautious starting off very light I'm only at squatting and deadlifting my bodyweight now so it's easy enough to go on and do loads but don't want to get sloppy particularly with deadlift.

It's very enjoyable the program I'd recommend it .I'll definitely have a look at them other programs mentioned when/if I exhaust this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

In my opinion, doing reps of 8+ on deadlift with a challenging weight Is asking for trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    In my opinion, doing reps of 8+ on deadlift with a challenging weight Is asking for trouble

Tbf, the reason for the high reps is because he's said the weight isn't challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Cill94

Dtp1979 wrote: »

If all your training is based off weights you can do with solid technique, then I think it's fine.

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Thanks guys really detailed answers there it's a huge help for a new lifter. I probably did read the spreadsheet wrong alright and it's 5lbs increase for press exercises.
    The last set i have been doing amrap for the squat and deadlift I've been stopping at 20 reps. As I was overly cautious starting off very light I'm only at squatting and deadlifting my bodyweight now so it's easy enough to go on and do loads but don't want to get sloppy particularly with deadlift.

It's very enjoyable the program I'd recommend it .I'll definitely have a look at them other programs mentioned when/if I exhaust this one.

Enjoy it :D The process of incrementally getting better in such a measurable way is what makes lifting such a fun hobby.

• Advertisement

• I did one set of 12 deadlifts on Thursday and I'm really feeling it in my lower back now.. A fair bit more than usual but still in a good way I think. I went back to 5 and 5 with higher weights for the other two sets. Don't think I'm a fan of the higher reps. Really exhausting and a lot of chat online says to stay between 3-5 for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Cill94 wrote: »
    If all your training is based off weights you can do with solid technique, then I think it's fine.

Of course. I agree. But I think a lot of people will fool themselves with the deadlift into thinking they’re doing ok. It’s so taxing on the entire body and easy to cheat so when you get tired and technique starts to break down and you’ve 3 - 4 reps left, thats where I think it could all go pear shaped

The problem with the deadlift is you can keep getting reps even when your back starts to round. Whereas in most of the other lifts, a major technique breakdown will just make you fail the rep. It takes a long time for some people to develop the awareness to feel themselves lose their back arch and cut the deadlift set.

I wouldn't do high reps on deadlift too often myself but I can see the argument for more experienced people training for muscle gain, or with a light weight for a beginner learning the exercise.

I did one set of 12 deadlifts on Thursday and I'm really feeling it in my lower back now.. A fair bit more than usual but still in a good way I think. I went back to 5 and 5 with higher weights for the other two sets. Don't think I'm a fan of the higher reps. Really exhausting and a lot of chat online says to stay between 3-5 for them.

If you're feeling it in your lower back, chances are it's not a good way

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Tbf, the reason for the high reps is because he's said the weight isn't challenging.

Yeah I concur it was my fault I started so light on deadlift wanted to work on form and in no rush so I'm just adding 5kg I'm at 80kg now took a couple of 10kg jumps as hadn't the weight plates combination needed. But there all done slow and on form (I hope) my AMRAP should come down soon enough as I add more . Thanks for advice .

• Advertisement

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Yeah I concur it was my fault I started so light on deadlift wanted to work on form and in no rush so I'm just adding 5kg I'm at 80kg now took a couple of 10kg jumps as hadn't the weight plates combination needed. But there all done slow and on form (I hope) my AMRAP should come down soon enough as I add more . Thanks for advice .

Better off starting light and work on technique tbh.

• If you're feeling it in your lower back, chances are it's not a good way

It isn't "sore". Just feels like the muscles each side of the spine got a serious work out. Did hyperextension as well at the end. Have been meaning to take another form video and post it here though.

It isn't "sore". Just feels like the muscles each side of the spine got a serious work out. Did hyperextension as well at the end. Have been meaning to take another form video and post it here though.

Probably just muscle soreness then. What you don’t want to have is any sharp burning/zappy type sensations, or excessive tightness.

Probably just muscle soreness then. What you don’t want to have is any sharp burning/zappy type sensations, or excessive tightness.

It's quite possible it was just muscle soreness from hyperextensions.

But poor form on a deadlift will also cause muscle soreness because it's taking more of a load than it should. It doesn't have to result in a more acute set of symptoms.

I know you know that but I just thought it was important to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

If the form is correct and it's just DOMS you should feel it in a few muscles groups, like hamstrings, glutes and or middle back and shoulders. If only in lumber spine you need to rethink your program and form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a Full Body Kettlebell workout?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,924 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a Full Body Kettlebell workout?

Snatch,
    Swing,
    Press,
    Row,
    Get up,
    Carry,

• Increase weight or volume for hyperextensions? I'm on 3x15 and not sure if I should go to 3x20 or increase weight.

Increase weight or volume for hyperextensions? I'm on 3x15 and not sure if I should go to 3x20 or increase weight.

It doesn't really matter in my experience. Do one until you hit a wall and then try the other.

Adding a pause or just doing timed static holds is also an option.

It doesn't really matter in my experience. Do one until you hit a wall and then try the other.

Adding a pause or just doing timed static holds is also an option.

Or even just slowing the movement through the full range of motion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Newbie here, I've struggled with doing push ups, I'd be following a at home workout using only dumbbells and do ok with all the exercises except when it comes to push ups

At best I could do 20 in a row at the start, but that quickly lowers when I try to do then again

Any tips here? Should I be lowering my chest to the floor and locking out my elbows at the top?

RedRochey wrote: »
    Newbie here, I've struggled with doing push ups, I'd be following a at home workout using only dumbbells and do ok with all the exercises except when it comes to push ups

At best I could do 20 in a row at the start, but that quickly lowers when I try to do then again

Any tips here? Should I be lowering my chest to the floor and locking out my elbows at the top?

Yep that's how you do them.

If 20 is a max effort, then maybe look at doing 15 the first set and see if you can keep that level for a few sets before it drops off. It's just trying to balance effort and reps in order to accumulate more total reps across the sets

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If I understand you correctly, your first set of push ups is 20 reps. I take it that when you say it 'quickly lowers' you mean that you can't perform 20 in subsequent sets.

That's not uncommon. If 20 reps is you working to failure, then if you rest 2-3 minutes it's still likely there would be a tapering off. It doesn't mean you're necessarily bad at push ups, you just won't fully recover from a set like that.

There are different views on the value of working close to failure versus keeping a few reps in the tank, I think both approaches can be valid.

In terms of push up form - there are endless articles and videos out there which are worth perusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Patsy167

As mentioned above, there's any amount of information on correct technique available depending on how you like to learn. I've been following this site for tips and have found it excellent - https://www.nick-e.com/exercise-library/calisthenics/upper-body/pushup/

RedRochey wrote: »

If 20 is your max, and you're aiming to beat that, you could give this progression a try.

Session One: 4x5
    Two: 5x5
    Three: 5x6
    Four: 4x8
    Five: 3x10
    Six: 2x15
    Seven: 1x 20+

And yes all reps should be hips and chest to floor, and then full lockout of elbows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

This is a good push up video imo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IODxDxX7oi4

If 20 is your max, and you're aiming to beat that, you could give this progression a try.

Session One: 4x5
    Two: 5x5
    Three: 5x6
    Four: 4x8
    Five: 3x10
    Six: 2x15

And yes all reps should be hips and chest to floor, and then full lockout of elbows.

In those first 4 sessions he is barely working imo.
    I like the set progression. But I'd flatten the jumps.

Session One: 4x10
    Two: 5x10+*
    Three: 5x12
    Four: 4x14
    Five: 3x16
    Six: 2x18

*Last set in session 2 to be as many as possible. And use that number to to recalibrate the jumps

Mellor wrote: »
    In those first 4 sessions he is barely working imo.
    I like the set progression. But I'd flatten the jumps.

Session One: 4x10
    Two: 5x10+*
    Three: 5x12
    Four: 4x14
    Five: 3x16
    Six: 2x18

Yes mine is deliberately more conservative. The only downside to starting lighter is it takes longer to reach the goal, which is not really a negative imo. Starting easy and progressing slowly means making progress for longer, less chance of injury, and more room to work on technique (which it sounds like he's a bit iffy on).

You have him starting with double the volume of his max reps, and then moving to treble that within three sessions. I personally think that's too much for some people, and riskier where injury is considered, especially given that beginners lack the experience to know when it's time to ease off.

Yes mine is deliberately more conservative. The only downside to starting lighter is it takes longer to reach the goal, which is not really a negative imo. Starting easy and progressing slowly means making progress for longer, less chance of injury, and more room to work on technique (which it sounds like he's a bit iffy on).
    But it’s not progressing slower. Or taking longer to reach the goal. Both progressions hit the same reps in week 7 and go for a PR.
    If anything the bigger jumps first progression are more aggressive, where as the second is slow and steady even increases.

I just think that the first few weeks doing 5-8 are not providing the required stress for somebody with a max on 20.
    You have him starting with double the volume of his max reps, and then moving to treble that within three sessions. I personally think that's too much for some people, and riskier where injury is considered, especially given that beginners lack the experience to know when it's time to ease off.
    2 x max reps is pretty low volume tbh. 3 sub-max sets is common, spreading reps over 5 sets is much lower intensity.
    Details weren’t provided, but they are maybe doing 50 reps over 3 sets as it stands. Only two weeks of the above have mire total reps and both do it with lower intensity sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Anyone know the location of a pull up bar (or something that could conceivably be used as one) in public within 5k of central Dublin? Am having an extraordinarily difficult time finding anything suitable (in.parks etc. )

Advertisement