Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Site WW / Mafia Games Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Good luck barney.

interesting setup.
    15 player; wolf team of 3 x vanilla wolf and a village consisting of 2 x JOAT (9x Doctor, 9x Motion Detector, 9x Tracker) and 10 vanilla villagers.
    I'd be happy to host a practice game but for I don't think it would be over before the 11th :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Good Luck Barney, bring it home!

Thingyman wrote: »

Do you want to have your own private community spectator chat?
    This is definitely both allowed and encouraged. However, I ask that you please do everything possible to make this chat private and inaccessible to your representative, backup and your representative's opponents. It's important that your thoughts and comments don't influence the game. In other words, please don't post about the game in public threads -- this is very important.

Creating a Barney super supporters spec chat now. (Discord)

If you want access, pm me and I'll give you a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Thingyman

I'm sure you may have already noticed, but if not

The game has started here: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/25878-Season-7-Game-3-The-Great-Champs-Roadtrip-The-Mafia-Championship

GLGL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Congrats to Barney who was voted 2nd in his match, and advances to the next round. Amazing achievement! And very well deserved.

• Advertisement

Baggly wrote: »
    Congrats to Barney who was voted 2nd in his match, and advances to the next round. Amazing achievement! And very well deserved.

Wow, congrats barney and every luck in the semis

G'wan D'Barney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

Hi.

Are you excited?

If you are not excited, then please let we welcome you to werewolf.

It is a game of cunning and deception and comradery and teamwork.

it's a simple game that can be deceptively complex.

Folks on boards have been playing it since 2016.

It was started in after hours, and very soon after found its own home in forum games.

Thingyman first made himself known to boards community in april '17, and the boards community chose tigger to be there first ever advocate to the mafia world championship games, where he played in game 11.

Since then, players such as Necro and sKeith have thrown there belts into the ring too, but not until barney92 stepped up did boards.ie ever see such sucess.

Boards.ie is now into the semifinal stages of the mafia world championship games!

Barney92 will play in SEMIFINAL GAME 2: AUGUST 10, 1 PM EDT End of Day, 48/24.
    The game will be played on mafia universe site. see here

If you wish to follow barney92 along on his journey, there is a spectator chat discord site that you can follow, and talk to the wide global community (mention that you are a boards.ie barney92 fan and they will open up spec chat for you) or if you wish to be more selective, you can join a much smaller discord of boards only barney fans. (pm me for access)

We have been invited to join MU's Annual Hydra game. Anyone interested?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bad experience last year puts me off tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hey folks, just got the annual invite to the MU World Championships, see below for further info
    The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 320+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Lissa as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 150 communities this season. If there is further interest, additional communities may sign up as substitutes; generally there are some replacements needed both before and during games.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is May 7th, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe

General Discussion Thread MU

Important notes

You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
    In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate (a back-up) who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
    Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500-600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis!

SEASON 8 FORMAT

The tournament structure

150 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
    QUALIFIERS: 10 Qualifier Games will be played, consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifier Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st and 2nd place will advance to the Semifinal Games.

SEMIFINALS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 7 will select 25 additional players to advance to the three Semifinal Games. From each game, five players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.

THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 8 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.

This year’s setup: Gold Rush 15er
    2x Mafia Goons
    1x Mafia Roleblocker
    1x Town Motion Detector
    1x 1-Shot Town Vigilante (n2+)
    1x Town Doctor
    9x Vanilla Townie

Flips are alignment only.

Relevant mechanics info

Day start.

Majority elimination is enabled Day 2+, but majority is not required at any point for the elimination.

Tied votes will result in a player being eliminated at random from among the tied players.

No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).

Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (Organised into a game with deadlines that suit the rep's preferences).

Thread is locked during Night Phases.

Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.

Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, roleblocked, etc. (In this setup, that means they display as an action to the Motion Detector action.)

Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction. The mafia factional kill is mandatory.

Mafia may communicate at any time.

Each individual player may make a maximum of 150 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 2 hours before day end).

The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals alignments automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

SEASON 8 TIMELINE

There will be 10 Qualifier Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates ranging from mid-May to early July. So in other words, as long as our representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and the organisers will make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

The Semifinal Games will be played in July/August, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever they can work out something that suits everyone).

So we have until May 7th to sign up (though ideally it would be done prior to that).

I'd be interested in taking part again but if there are others who have never played before then I think they should take precedence personally.

FYI our reps in the past have been

2017: Tigger
    2018: Necro
    2019: sKeith
    2020: Barney92
    2021: ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Yeah, I won't be throwing my hat in the ring again. Shafted I was last time ;).

You do come across some interesting characters and it is a nice way to play without any sort of baggage from previous games (although during the game some players look up each other's home boards to see if they can spot trends in play - I didn't bother with that). You also get to try out a different format, and the site they use does have some nice features.

Off the top of my head I'd like to see Rikand or beakerjoe give this a rattle this year.

So they will be my nominations (should they choose to accept)

Rikand and beakerjoe for the World Championships!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

Would love to see JP Liz consider this. I think she'd be great for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I promise whoever goes, I'll cheer you on from the sidelines. I may even compose a cheerleader style rhyme :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

BJ or Necro for my vote. Pure post volumes and long games require a lot of dedication and commitment plus a possibility to mix it up. For that reason, they'd be my vote.

duffman13 wrote: »
    BJ or Necro for my vote. Pure post volumes and long games require a lot of dedication and commitment plus a possibility to mix it up. For that reason, they'd be my vote.

Cheers duffers, I've no problem going tbh. Though I was there three years ago so if there was someone else that had an interest in partaking I'd back them ahead of myself personally, it's worth it for the experience imo

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    I promise whoever goes, I'll cheer you on from the sidelines. I may even compose a cheerleader style rhyme :D

I promise to join the MU discord to cheer you on, and make bets that MU people end up not honouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Thank you for the nom, but I will respectfully decline myself if thats okay. I'm not able for the volume of posts in those games. I'm currently playing a game on 2+2.... there's still 4 hours of day1* to go and the thread already has over 3000 posts and I'm completely overwhelmed by it. I just dont have the time commitment for that anymore :)

*(Thread opened at 1pm our time)

Link here if anyone wants to rail it :D - https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/59/puzzles-other-games/pog-anniversary-xv-game-thread-1788909/

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Neowise wrote: »
    Would love to see JP Liz consider this. I think she'd be great for this.

:D:D

Cee_Jay or BeakerJoe would be my votes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Thanks for the nominations guys, but come on.....Im awful at this. Im like the Glen Whelan of WW, I put in effort but ultimately Im not very good.

I dont mind playing, however Id be afraid of it to be honest, its very daunting looking. I like playing here because of you guys.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Thanks for the nominations guys, but come on.....Im awful at this. Im like the Glen Whelan of WW, I put in effort but ultimately Im not very good.

I dont mind playing, however Id be afraid of it to be honest, its very daunting looking. I like playing here because of you guys.

That's not a no though :D

Necro wrote: »
    That's not a no though :D

It is appealing.

I vote for Liz too. I think she’d bamboozle them completely.

G’wan Liz

J P Liz
    J P Liz
    J P Liz

Sod that U S A chant :D

I vote for Liz too. I think she’d bamboozle them completely.

G’wan Liz

J P Liz
    J P Liz
    J P Liz

Sod that U S A chant :D

I cant wait to see her in a wolf role to see how she plays the game from a different perspective.

Ok so it seems we have

cee_jay
    beakerjoe
    JP Liz V1
    Necro

As nominations. Do we need a poll? We will also need a second so the person with the second most votes I reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Ok so it seems we have

cee_jay
    beakerjoe
    JP Liz V1
    Necro

As nominations. Do we need a poll? We will also need a second so the person with the second most votes I reckon?

Is everyone nommed willing?

Not sure if cee_jay knows about this thread :pac: I'll pop her a PM and see

As I said before, I'm happy to go but would really rather someone who hasn't done it before went if they were willing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Not sure if cee_jay knows about this thread :pac: I'll pop her a PM and see

As I said before, I'm happy to go but would really rather someone who hasn't done it before went if they were willing.

Thanks for the nomination, but I really couldn't do this. I'm starting a new job in less than 2 weeks, and have no idea what the demands will be just yet, but expect to be bamboozled enough with that for the first few months anyway. Also I'm not nearly an experienced enough player!

• Advertisement

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Is everyone nommed willing?

Im happy to be nommed. Nom nom nom.

After much consideration, Id be happy to gove it a bash. An ill judged bash, but a nash nonetheless

Advertisement