Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what is good to eat after gym?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

ok, folks, thanks for the advice and the quite entertaining boardsie bashing!
    quick question about the cottage cheese on ryvita- can u put chilli or SOMETHING on it? i am only learning to eat it at the moment....

banana and peanut butter on toast i can DEF do.... i am a bit of a fan of that....

natural yogurt and honey??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Im currently just drinking a pint of milk after weight training in the gym, is this enough calories after training, I think its around 300-350.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Jaffa cakes are good. A lot of the inter county gaa players eat them. low on calories.

Jaffa cakes are good. A lot of the inter county gaa players eat them. low on calories.

my brothers are rowers/athletes and eat jaffa cakes all the time cos they are low fat but with my current weight (which i am not gonna mention) i cant really afford to be scoffing them.... i wish....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

They probably don't eat them because they're low calorie (though at 50 calories a pop, they're a decent treat if you're on a deficit), I'm guessing they eat them because they're good for glycogen replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

..or maybe because it's a culchie favorite? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Im currently just drinking a pint of milk after weight training in the gym, is this enough calories after training, I think its around 300-350.

Is there enough protein in a pint of milk though? Maybe some carbs would be good as well. That might be a bit uninformed as I never drink milk, can't stand it!

I usually eat a banana and a protein shake after, although sometimes I have the banana during if I'm a bit hungry! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

protein shakes are ok if you are doing some serious max strength weights!! but if its for weight loss/fitness dont bother!! and alot of protein shakes are made in factories where steriods are made!

Epic post fail.

Protein shakes are a supplement. That's what they do. Supplement your diet. Of course whole food sources are better, but in some cases, your protein requirement is going to be higher than the amount you can consume through whole foods, therefore, supplement.

Secondly, steroids are synthetic pharmaceuticals produced in, that's right, a pharmaceutical plant. The synthesis is a bit complicated and done in relatively small batches at relatively high cost.

Now guess where whey comes from? Cheese production! That's right, it's a product left over from making cheese. Companies buy this, filter it, and flavour it, in huge quantities. Generally speaking cheese production factories don't produce drugs. Pharmaceutical plants don't make cheese.

Pfizer Brie anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Khannie wrote: »
    All smilz:
    Some carbs and some protein will sort you out. Egg on toast is good, sure.

yum :) sounds like weekend breakfast chez moi, but it definitely hits the spot. :)

I had the munchies when I got back from the gym last night and made up a brown bread & chicken sandwich. Nyom.
    I don't like to eat late at night either, but a light snack like that would take the edge off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

After a strenuous workout I just want to cool down, but if I have hunger pangs, my compromise is a natural fruit smoothy, cooling and loaded with fresh fruit, honey, and sometimes yogurt. Yummy! You can always add whey protein if you need the supplement.

• Advertisement

..or maybe because it's a culchie favorite? :D

oi, i take offence to that.... jaffa cakes are for everyone!
    *cept me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

all_smilz wrote: »
    quick question about the cottage cheese on ryvita- can u put chilli or SOMETHING on it? i am only learning to eat it at the moment....

banana and peanut butter on toast i can DEF do.... i am a bit of a fan of that....

you could try, i like chilli with alot of foods but not with cheese.:D

oh and can people please stop mentioning jaffa cakes. The thoughts of full moon, half moon are making me delirious.

Killme00 wrote: »
    you could try, i like chilli with alot of foods but not with cheese.:D

oh and can people please stop mentioning jaffa cakes. The thoughts of full moon, half moon are making me delirious.

would u like a fibre muffin ? they are banana blueberry and made only yesterday?

go on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Hey

Have you ever tried almond butter on your ryvita? It's really nice and you only need a little, plus it's good for protein. Or could try a wee bit of houmous on them, or even switch the ryvitas for oatcakes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

G86 wrote: »
    Hey

Have you ever tried almond butter on your ryvita? It's really nice and you only need a little, plus it's good for protein. Or could try a wee bit of houmous on them, or even switch the ryvitas for oatcakes.

I need to get me some of this almond butter gear that people talk about. Sounds lovely.

I need to get me some of this almond butter gear that people talk about. Sounds lovely.

+1 on d'almond butter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

It's fnuking gorgeous, almost sweet and super delicious on hot pita bread. Cashew butter and hazelnut butter are absolutely delicious too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dovers

Where can you get it on the northside, anyone know please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

I've not read all this thread. But if you are doing weights protein and carbs are essential.
    As little fat as possible in your post workout meal, it can dampen your insulin spike. Not ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Where can it be bought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

g'em wrote: »
    It's fnuking gorgeous, almost sweet and super delicious on hot pita bread. Cashew butter and hazelnut butter are absolutely delicious too.

Hazlenut butter tastes like pooh imo. LOVE almond and cashew butter. Love smoothies with oats, banana, blueberries , glenisk yogurt and spoon of almond/cashew/peanut buuter to boost. NYOM

oh and mash a banana with the almond butter onto that pitta ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

ronaneire wrote: »
    Where can it be bought?

iv occasionally seen the small tiny jars of almond and cashew butter(meridion brand) in health food stores and holland and barrett.

now if only they would do almond butter in 1kg tubs like thwy do with the peanut butter in holland barretts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Dovers wrote: »
    Where can you get it on the northside, anyone know please?
    ronaneire wrote: »
    Where can it be bought?

Any nut butters can be bought in a good health food shop (Holland & Barrett def stock them) - Meridian is one of the better brands out there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I always find i am ravenously snacky after being in the gym which is ok in the middle of the day cause i can have my lunch or dinner after but what about at NIGHT? I try not to go too late (usually around 8pm) so that i am not home and hungry before bed....
    Should i have protein or what? am confused.... i know i shouldnt eat so late but i really want "something" just after the gym.... what are the rules with this?

If training in the evening (9-10pm) I find this works for me:

- Immediately after gym on walk home --> Banana & 30g of whey in water.

- Before bed if hungry --> tin of tuna / oats / glass of milk.

Avoid the mars bar! The banana is your sugary treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

protein shakes are ok if you are doing some serious max strength weights!! but if its for weight loss/fitness dont bother!! and alot of protein shakes are made in factories where steriods are made!

First of all, no. AFAIK nutritionX is owned by Glanbia. Unless thats what goes into supermilk, i didn't think they were into pharmaceuticals.

Secondly, a lot of medicines are made in the same factory as steroids are made. Are you saying we should shun calpol?

I'm not saying take proetin shakes, and i am not saying don't, but don't believe the hype. They can be useful to supplement your diet if you feel you are not getting in sufficient protein for your goals, or if whole foods are inconvenient immediately after your training.

Post workout is the only time a supplment is better then real food. Protein shakes have a place- if i was bulking i'd take them loads as its easier then eating loads - not ideal, but at least you can be sure you wont get fat while bulking

I may in fact have one right now because this chicken I cooked is like eating rubber.

you ned to learn to cook :eek:

ragg wrote: »

Ha, I don't know what it is. I always cook them in batches and for the first time these ones are just crap. Crap meat I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

ragg wrote: »

YOU need to learn to spell :P

Advertisement