Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday/Sunday Wintry Potential

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ZX7R wrote: »
    Just after reading met earanns forecast and looks to be snow for much of Munster and Leinster tonight interesting

Surprised at that myself. Expected it to be north Leinster/ Ulster snowfall event. Will be surprised to see anything lying in Cork except for hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Surprised at that myself. Expected it to be north Leinster/ Ulster snowfall event. Will be surprised to see anything lying in Cork except for hills.

I keep people updated tonight i do security at the weekends for a bit of extra income,helps with therapy's for my son.
    So I be up all night .

Maybe the system is tracking further south than expected

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Yes, Met Èireann say rain will turn to sleet and snow over much of munster and leinster. However nothing about accumulations here and altitude thus it's a very catch all forecast at the moment till further information comes to hand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ZX7R wrote: »
    I keep people updated tonight i do security at the weekends for a bit of extra income,helps with therapy's for my son.
    So I be up all night .

Maybe the system is tracking further south than expected

Look forward to the reports ZX7R !

Met Èireann updated

TONIGHT - SATURDAY 9TH MARCH

Rain, with some heavy bursts, will spread up over much of the country this evening and early tonight, turning wintry with some falls of sleet and snow. The rain, sleet and snow will turn more showery overnight, but still occasionally heavy and prolonged over the northern half of the country. The risk of hail and thunder will also increase towards morning. Lows of minus 1 to plus 2 degrees. Light variable winds, becoming fresh to strong westerly, with gales developing on Atlantic coasts towards dawn.

Again nothing much of note yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

06z gfs haa upgraded Tuesday nights storm quite a bit. Doesn't look far from a red if these upgrades were to continue
    Re this weekend it's reduced the potential for snow in the south tonight but all looks good for tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Agree I heard it also, Gerry mentioned snow at least 3 times! Two potential waves of snow, overnight and Sunday morning, but from looking at charts it does seem confined to Connacht Ulster and north Midlands....

Yeah but this is 2019
    People with phones aren't going to be listening to radio one
    They're going to be looking at what I posted above and set out on their journeys accordingly
    Which leads to the Same confusion as last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

06z gfs haa upgraded Tuesday nights storm quite a bit. Doesn't look far from a red if these upgrades were to continue
    Re this weekend it's reduced the potential for snow in the south tonight but all looks good for tomorrow

Is that up north or countrywide re Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Anyone get woken up this morning around 3.45am by the loudest thunder I'ver ever heard? Live just outside Galway, sounded like the city was under bombardment, guess it was a colder air mass moving in, after a few very loud claps, torrential rain for about 20 mins with more thunder - had the heart going 90 for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

highdef wrote: »
    I'm with Meteorite58 and Gonzo, in that I currently don't foresee anything too wintry in terms of snow accumulations (or even falling snow), except in some northern areas, mostly high ground. The low would need to a smidgen further south than the current forecast track in order for more populated areas (cough cough...the Greater Dublin Area) to be in with a chance of some white gold.

I'll give judgement tomorrow evening as to what my thoughts are....if I'm online, that is.

you don't work in hedge funds by any chance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭highdef

LOL, no. How on earth did you come up with conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

the impending storm early next week is of more concern to me,alot of people might be surprised given the distraction associated with the white gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

highdef wrote: »
    LOL, no. How on earth did you come up with conclusion?

so will you be conveniently 'off line ' if your prediction goes pear- shaped ?, lol.

@ munsterlegend mainly further North for storm.
    And we have our snow ice warning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Ah crap I was supposed to be going to Kilkenny tonight think I'll stay put

Rain, sleet snow mix from latest Arome . Definitely could be a good covering for some with this.

anim_asz5.gif

Just to clarify for newbies a snow warning for Ireland in March means we have a good chance of seeing snow falling. It doesn't mean you should cancel indoor activities, maybe in mid winter but March snow is just fun non disruptive (in general I know sometimes in severe cases it can)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Snow-ice warning for Ireland

Scattered thundery showers of hail, sleet and snow expected during the period. Poor visibility, with slippery and icy conditions will occur at times.

Valid: Saturday 09 March 2019 23:00 to Monday 11 March 2019 06:00

Issued: Saturday 09 March 2019 10:00

Updated: Saturday 09 March 2019 10:00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Anyone get woken up this morning around 3.45am by the loudest thunder I'ver ever heard? Live just outside Galway, sounded like the city was under bombardment, guess it was a colder air mass moving in, after a few very loud claps, torrential rain for about 20 mins with more thunder - had the heart going 90 for a while.

Yep, same here.

Have you seen the Convective weather thread?

Oops69 wrote: »
    so will you be conveniently 'off line ' if your prediction goes pear- shaped ?, lol.

Hahaha, I see what you mean. No, more a case of it's Saturday and I more often than not am no online much, if at all.

As for the various computer models this morning, Unless there are upgrades in the models by this evening, then I'm still not convinced of anything noteworthy for the vast majority of the population tonight. Fingers crossed that I'm wrong!

Regarding the possible wind event in a few days time, I'll keep any chat about it to that thread if/when the thread is created.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Yeah but this is 2019
    People with phones aren't going to be listening to radio one
    They're going to be looking at what I posted above and set out on their journeys accordingly
    Which leads to the Same confusion as last weekend

If people can’t be bothered to scroll down and actually read the forecast, then that’s their own fault. It’s on the app so if people aren’t informed it’s due to their own laziness. Those pictures are always only a tiny part of the forecast.

WRF just shows North of country getting any worthwhile wintriness.
    I see dewpoints will be above 0°C for much of the night till they bottom oit at minus 4 tomorrow in the showers.

So weighting it up , nothing too noteworthy then tonight for many if WRF is correct.

nmm_uk1-1-23-0_hsm6.png

WRF just shows North of country getting any worthwhile wintriness.
    I see dewpoints will be above 0°C for much of the night till they bottom oit at minus 4 tomorrow in the showers.

So weighting it up , nothing too noteworthy then tonight for many if WRF is correct.

nmm_uk1-1-23-0_hsm6.png

I'm echoing your thoughts. As I mentioned, unless we get upgrades later today, chances are slim for most bar high ground in the northern 2/3 of the country....say from about 250/300m ASL in the middle section of the country and from maybe about 150ish metres ASL in the northern third, for snow to fall and stick readily. That's based on the current information at hand and my estimates might change later.

Yep, for now, go north and go high.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very low risk of snow in low lying areas away from Northern Ireland according to the latest Hirlam. Looks like rain for the majority of us. Maybe later on things will change.

hirlamuk-1-24-0.png?09-10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Met eireann still all rain on their website for cavan tonight and tomorrow
    There is a yellow exclamation triangle beside it but that's on every town and you can't even click through to a warning

So Joe soap who sets met Éireann to their home town and who just looks at the 5 day and not the national will be totally unaware
    Ridiculous and careless imho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

Obviously people here in Kildare are anxious of a repeat of last weekend. I think the confidence is there that there won’t be a repeat. Warnings have been issued though so we see what happens.

I don’t think this potential would be worth GL commenting on anyways. ;-)

Latest Euro4 says "Looks like rain Ted" for tonight.

However Sunday shows plenty of wintriness.

475002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I'm in Belfast today and there is lots of lying snow on the hills and mountains surrounding the city. Seems to be around 200m upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ECMWF screenshots I took this morning, showing a sleet/snow marginal situation through the midlands overnight. Snowline down to around 100-150 metres. However, the Harmonie says no and ibstead has rain for places like Mullingar (100 m and right in the middle of the blue).

Haven't had much more of a look since but would be surprised to see anything at lowest levels.

Advertisement