Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• darlenmol wrote: »
    Badgers climb...

I didn't know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I didn't know that!

Obviously they are not very good at it, if they keep falling out of the trees....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭darlenmol

Obviously they are not very good at it, if they keep falling out of the trees....:)

not they aren't but they are unbelievably persistent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

BADGERS.................BADGERS.

"WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGERS"

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

When I was very young about 3 or 4 years old we were living in a rented house. A lot of weird stuff happened in that house. One event was I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a man with what looked like a white turban on his head standing at the end of my bed. He didn't say anything he just stood there. I don't remember feeling very frightened I guess I was too young. My mam said that I told her what I'd seen and she told my grandmother. My grandmother told her that a young man who lived there years before had died of a brain tumour and had worn white bandages on his head.

• Advertisement

• I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a man with what looked like a white turban on his head standing at the end of my bed...

In darkness, the white streak at the top of a badgers head can look like a turban.

Maybe it was just a standard ghost, and badger had fallen on its head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Bloody badgers they get everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 YanaSoko

I love this tread. So decided to write about a few things that happened to me. Sorry for the long post.

about 15-16 years ago (I was 13-14) I was in the hospital had a small operation but under the general anesthesia. I think it was the second night after the op when I had my first sleep paralysis. At that stage I knew nothing about SP so I actually thought I was dying. I did not see anyone but I could not move or speak. I started to pray in my mind (I actually dont know any prayers, so I was kinda talking to God) and I was grand then. Throughout the years I had experienced number of SP and I really hate them. So instead of trying to speak, scream or move I'm rolling my eyes in circles (as it seems the only part of me that can move) as fast as I can and only then I come out of SP.

In September 2009 I moved to Waterford City. it was my first night there (I have not moved fully there yet, I just spend a few days to clean the house, wash the walls etc) so around 10 pm I when outside for a fag and I saw about 14 lights in the sky, they were not starts and they were moving in different directions. I wanted to make a video on my phone but back then the cameras were not as good as now. Till this day I dont know what it was maybe UFO.

In June 2012 I developed two sets of photos of my son and posted them to my Grandparents, one set to Ukraine and another to Russia (to my Grandmother). My grandparents in Ukraine got the photos in about few weeks, but my grandmother never got photos. In August of that year, my grandmother passed away (she was quiet old, my dad and my brother were working and have not seen her much however they were living in one apartment and her friend was on a holiday at that time, so my grandma was a bit lonely). Anyway I went to Russia to attend the funeral and after the funeral around 5 pm the door bell rang and there was a postman with the photos I send few months earlier. I was very upset and the first thing that came to my mind what if she got these photos of her great grandson earlier she still could have been alive or at least lived a bit longer. The reason for the delay was the wrong post code written on the letter. Till this day I feel guilty. And the fact that the letter arrived on the day of her funeral makes it worse.

The last strange thing that happened to me was seeing a ghost. I think it was 2010, it was either spring or autumn. Myself and my ex went to Woodstown beach just outside Waterford City. It was grand day, he was teaching me how to play hurling and then around 5 pm it started to get dark, we went to the car and decided to drive the other way towards Gualtier Lodge just to see whats there. Anyway the road was narrow and it was quiet dark at this stage so we drove slowly, we just passed the Lodge (it was on our left) and we saw two people on our right sanding beside the metal farmers gate near the field(you see these gates everywhere). My ex saluted to the "couple" but they did not move and were just staring at us. Why ghosts? The man was tall enough, he had a tall black hat as people wore in 19th and early 20th century, he had some coat on and i think white shirt as well, the man was also wearing monocle with chain on his right eye and he had mustache with kinda curly ends. he did looked a bit evil. the lady that was standing right behind him, looked like a lady from a working class from 19th century or so, her clothes were of grey colour and she had grey shawl on her head and shoulders, and some sort of a long dress. I dont remember her face, but i do clearly remember his as he was very close to us. My ex saw them too. Both of us freaked out and he drove off and did not want to turn around and drive back that way, anyway we did and they were gone. I spoke to my friend from Tramore, she said that some people see ghosts from Sea Horse that sank outside Tramore in 1816. Maybe they were also the passengers on that ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Creepy, you don't know the meaning of the word man. This one time I was seeing someone well more like a fb really but yano I was trying to ignore them and hope they would **** of by their own accord without any awkwardness and loike texted me 4 times without me ever sending a reply! If that wasn't bad enough they posted on my FB wall asking was I ignoring them for all my friends to see. I was loike totes meurto loike!! Such a creep!
    Ban please.

It worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭KH25

I was recently away with my girlfriend and we were staying in an old-style hotel. One night I woke up and saw her just get up and stand by the window. I asked her if she was ok and she turned around in the bed and said yeah. Think it was just my tired eyes playing tricks on me but at the time it scared the hell out of me as I was convinced she was by the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I know this is not creepy or unnerving but my dog was run over a few years ago, I was in bits with grief.
    About three days later I seen him, in his normal spot, sitting out side the padio door, waiting to be let inside.
    I went to put the kettle on and then went to open the door and let him in, of course he was not there when I went to open it, and I promptly started crying again remembering he was dead, but looking back now, it was nice that he came to "say good bye" as I never seen him that morning he past.
    A few night later I had a dream that I was out walking in the back roads with him and remember feeling his fur on my legs and he leaned against me looking up. It was lovely just to see him again.

On another dog related note, my neighbour had two labs, a brown and a gold one.
    The brown one past away a few years before my dog did, and when that happened, the gold one became friends with my dog, he needed a new friend. Once my dog died the gold one kept coming to my door and waiting for him to come out, broke my heart but thats not the story.

We live in a street beside a back road, and the gardens face out to the back road. I was rushing to get the bus one morning, and as normal, the gold dog was pelting fast up the road, she got under the fence, again. Happened all the time.
    I had no time to stop her as I jumped on the bus.
    The next day I seen the owner and said "Hey you know Goldie got out under the fence yesterday morning?" and he stared at me and said no she did not, he brought her to the vet the night before to be put down as she had severe joint pain and off her food all week and other chronic issues.
    I know the dog I seen was her, it was her collar and she was an old dog so had white fur on her face as well.
    That unnerved me more than my own wee dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

You're the dog whisperer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I saw my cat sitting on the window a couple of days after he had been put to sleep. Of course he was also gone when I went to let him in.

We have a few large containers in the garden for spring bulbs. Every year in the summer he used to use one of those as a sun lounger. He died last autumn. This spring none of the bulbs in the container where he used to sit came up. The others bloomed as usual.

He was my mother's favourite cat. For years we had a path full of white daffodils in the spring time which were were her pride and joy. She died five years ago after a horrible hospital ordeal. I have terrible memories of pacing up and down and sitting on the path, surrounded by a sea of white daffs, making distraught phone calls to the hospital and various relatives, as I couldn't get a mobile signal indoors.

The next January when the first bulbs started poking up, I dreaded seeing the white daffs in the path as I could not bear to be reminded of that terrible time. They never flowered again, although every other daffodil we planted there still blooms every year. We had some planted in the same soil around the corner and they continue to flower.

Since my cat died I have always dreamt of him together with my mother. Sounds silly, I know, but I find it very comforting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

YanaSoko wrote: »
    The last strange thing that happened to me was seeing a ghost. I think it was 2010, it was either spring or autumn. Myself and my ex went to Woodstown beach just outside Waterford City. It was grand day, he was teaching me how to play hurling and then around 5 pm it started to get dark, we went to the car and decided to drive the other way towards Gualtier Lodge just to see whats there. Anyway the road was narrow and it was quiet dark at this stage so we drove slowly, we just passed the Lodge (it was on our left) and we saw two people on our right sanding beside the metal farmers gate near the field(you see these gates everywhere). My ex saluted to the "couple" but they did not move and were just staring at us. Why ghosts? The man was tall enough, he had a tall black hat as people wore in 19th and early 20th century, he had some coat on and i think white shirt as well, the man was also wearing monocle with chain on his right eye and he had mustache with kinda curly ends. he did looked a bit evil. the lady that was standing right behind him, looked like a lady from a working class from 19th century or so, her clothes were of grey colour and she had grey shawl on her head and shoulders, and some sort of a long dress. I dont remember her face, but i do clearly remember his as he was very close to us. My ex saw them too. Both of us freaked out and he drove off and did not want to turn around and drive back that way, anyway we did and they were gone. I spoke to my friend from Tramore, she said that some people see ghosts from Sea Horse that sank outside Tramore in 1816. Maybe they were also the passengers on that ship.

thats not the first story ive heard about that stretch of road, few of my friends saw something similar, they thought it was a banshee. standing by a gate between woodstown and the dunmore road

Edit: just remembered this, was out for a spin with a few of the lads one night and we went down a road at the very end of that carpark. thought it would lead out on to the main road but it turned into a country road and got worse as we went on, all overgrown and mucky. didnt wanna get stuck there in my little micra and there was no space to turn so i had to reverse a good bit. as i started reversin one of the lads goes "jesus look at the size of the dog up there". about 50 feet up the road something was poking its head out of the bushes, and it was huge. honestly looked like a moose or something, and looked to be pitch black. it popped back in and i kept reversing. few seconds later out it pops again but closer this time. everyone was losing their mind screamin and i mustve been reversin bout 50mph! got back far enough n tore out of there.no idea what it was. it was way too low in the bushes(might i add dense bush)to be a horse and way too big to be a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

too low in the bushes(might i add dense bush)to be a horse and way too big to be a dog

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/11537864/Giant-badger-the-size-of-a-pig-terrorises-pensioner.html:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

ONE TIME I WAS HITCHING FOR A LIFT HOME AT NIGHT AND A CAR PULLED IN ABOUT 10 FEET AHEAD THEN I WALKED UP AND OPENED THE PASSENGER DOOR AND THERE WAS A BADGER DRIVING THE CAR

• about 50 feet up the road something was poking its head out of the bushes, and it was huge. honestly looked like a moose or something, and looked to be pitch black. it popped back in and i kept reversing. few seconds later out it pops again but closer this time. everyone was losing their mind screamin and i mustve been reversin bout 50mph! got back far enough n tore out of there.no idea what it was. it was way too low in the bushes(might i add dense bush)to be a horse and way too big to be a dog

Apart from ponies, foals, heifers, calves and so on, there is nothing sized between a horse and a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Birds seem to be attracted to me all the time I have racing pidgins trying to get in to the house twice the other day one came in the patio door and stood looking at me, numerous birds have come down the chimney, birds have flow in to the kitchen window and I am currently engaged in a war with the birds who are trying to eat from my blackcurrant bushes and my strawberry's.

• mariaalice wrote: »
    Birds seem to be attracted to me all the time...

Best opening line yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The racing pidgin was the most interesting it came in cocked its head sideways and gave me a puzzled look as if to say do I live here, I never noticed it before but some birds do have expressions on their faces or heads because I am not sure if birds have faces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

mariaalice wrote: »
    The racing pidgin was the most interesting it came in cocked its head sideways and gave me a puzzled look as if to say do I live here, I never noticed it before but some birds do have expressions on their faces or heads because I am not sure if birds have faces.

It's probably just due to the fact you have berries growing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

In Fairness he doesn't tell us how big the Jack Russell is.

That Jack Russell must be Gi-normous the way he tells the story or else he is a very tiny man ! !

blinding wrote: »
    In Fairness he doesn't tell us how big the Jack Russell is.

That Jack Russell must be Gi-normous the way he tells the story or else he is a very tiny man ! !

I just wanted to drag badgers back into it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I just wanted to drag badgers back into it....

If that has anything to do with mushrooms AND badgers I will not be impressed

If that has anything to do with mushrooms AND badgers I will not be impressed

You know it.

Seriously though. Over the years I've had the crap scared out of me by badgers at least a dozen times at night. I'll be frozen between the fight or flight choice, waiting for one last piece of information and I'll see a few white stripes dashing off into the bushes, fully convinced they follow me sometimes.

Nothing else paranormal has ever followed me or spooked me, aside from my Granduncle knowing that my Grandmother had passed without ever being told, maybe he was just very perceptive.

It's usually possums these days with the odd snake here and there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

aside from my Granduncle knowing that my Grandmother had passed without ever being told, maybe he was just very perceptive.

Incidently, I was actually having a conversation about this today and how some people just know. My aunt knew when both my uncle and my grandmother passed away within years of eachother. My uncle died first, she was having a dream about him dying and was woken from the dream by the phone call to tell her he was dead. With my grandmother (her mother), she just knew.

The person I was talking to said he's often dreamed about people dying only to be told the next day that they had passed on. He was saying that him and another young lad were standing outside one day years ago chatting, when a woman walked onto the street. He often has visitors so didn't really pass any heed to the woman except give her a nod. He didn't go over to greet her as his father had just walked out the door at the time and told him that some woman had died. That woman was the same woman who had just supposedly walked onto the street but when they turned around again to look for her, she had disappeared. Both him and the young lad swear they seen her, as clear as though she were real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I posted this in the Rural Legend thread but I think it belongs here to so just going to repost it.

I grew up near a mountain pass and it was the quickest way to Buncranna (and more importantly the beach)
    My mum went to see my aunt in Buncranna by herself, and retuned home the same way, it was 4pm but it was winter so it was rather dark/overcast.
    Apparently she had to stop the car as there was a massive dog on the small lane way.
    I think it would have to have been either an Irish Wolf Hound or maybe a smaller Scottish Deer Hound going by how she described it.
    It was barking at the car and she reverse a bit, to go drive forward again but the dog started to run up barking at the car before disappearing suddenly.

But after my mother told some friends apparently it is not the only case of that happening. Years ago a fella and his date were walking back the same way to Derry and were stopped on the road by a huge dog. The fella made the girl stand behind him as he did not trust a strange dog, then it ran at him, but disappeared mid stride.

I seen last year on some website a mention of the story of the man and his date, I was trying to find it there now but no luck.

There's that story that crops up several times in the "has anything creepy ever happened to you" thread. It's basically about a couple living in the country who have a son , or adopt a son depending on the version of the story, and leave him to fend for himself in a hen house as a small baby where he grows up believing he's a bird rather than a human. He has clawed feet he can perch on things with and pecks at things with his mouth and nose. In some versions the couple are eventually arrested and the boy goes into care and in others it's never discovered. There seem to be a good few old people,70s 80s who are quite convinced this happened in Ireland. I remember my elderly neighbour telling me about it and I read here other people's grannies telling them.
    Has to be a rural legend... surely?

I am not going to say the chicken boy thing is true, but I was curious a few years ago and decided to read into it a little so are a few links.

Here are scans of the newspaper reports.
    Article 1 photo Mourne Observer 28 October 1956
    Article 2 photoMourne Observer 28 October 1956
    Article 3 photo Mourne Observer 14th September 1956

I found two threads on some irish forums of people claiming the knew the fella.
    Belfast Forum

Some of what they say
    I knew Kevin. He used to holiday in Ballyhornan. As far as I know he is still alive.
    I remember meeting him once in ST Matthews club late eighties he seemed well adjusted considering his past. And from what I remember he was a good dancer.
    Haven't heard a lot since then, but if he is still around he would be in his fifties.
    I actually spent time in hospital with him - RBHSC - in the late 60's . . . 67/68 - I was in with Scarlet Fever and he was in a bed at the end of the ward. Kicked up a racket some nights but other than that didn't have much dealings with him. Is this my 15 mins of fame???
    My aunt was a nun in the Nazareth Lodge Orphanage on the Ravenhill Road. I remember my aunt telling my mother about this unfortunate boy shortly after he was taken into care there. I don't know how long he remained there.

Then this Warrenpoint forum (They have scans of the newspaper articles on this link)

Link from a now defunct website

This states that the child was apparently disabled or different, and the father had died leaving the mother with a lot of children to look after herself.
    She said she only put Kevin in the hen house when she went shopping in Down Patrick, because it was less dangerous "Mrs Halfpenny was faced with the problem therefore of finding a safe place to leave the child while she went about her work. This was the safest place for a disabled or subnormal child where there was no fire, stairs and chairs about."
    The NSPCC and the police were notified. The child was named as Kevin Halfpenny, a seven-year old boy. He was immediately taken to the Nazareth Lodge Children's Home. While there he was examined by doctors who were horrified to find that he only weighed two stone. His height was a mere 30 inches high and it was claimed that he was suffering from rickets for at least five years due to continual denial of sunlight.
    NSPCC Inspector Alex Mahood gave evidence following his examination of the boy at Nazareth Lodge. He said Kevin looked pale and thin, his arm and leg joints were swollen, and his shin bones were concave in shape. Kevin Halfpenny could only stand without assistance for half a minute and then he fell down on his badly developed legs.
    The medical evidence showed that the child had been suffering from rickets for a long time and Judge Hanna commented that, for four years, the child was kept for at least some periods in this outhouse where there were bags placed over the windows which kept out the light. Rickets can be caused both by a lack of sunlight and a diet without vitamin D. Basil Kelly, who led Mrs Halfpenny's defence, said that she had no other place to leave her child. Apparently, "some of the children were out working and some were at home. Those at home were at school every day. Mrs Halfpenny was faced with the problem therefore of finding a safe place to leave the child while she went about her work. This was the safest place for a disabled or subnormal child where there was no fire, stairs and chairs about."
    Sister Irene Maher of Nazareth House in Cape Town remembers: 'I only met Kevin, the child in question, later in his life. The Sister who admitted him to a Nazareth House at the time related how the boy perched on his cot and cawed like a hen all through the first few weeks following his admission. During my stay there with the group of children, I saw him grow up, responding to love, enjoying music, but at the same time requiring a lot of medical treatment — especially to his legs; in fact, he had to have a great deal of surgery to straighten them. His speech was seriously affected. Kevin left Nazareth House eventually for sheltered employment with the Sisters of Charity.

Other links I found included this paper as such about the boy by the British journal for developmental disability
    Another newspaper scan online
    In February of this year, Russian care workers discovered a seven-year-old boy in Volgograd whose mother had kept him in a two-room apartment filled with tame birds. She had fed and clothed him, but never spoken to him. A picture of the child was in the newspapers, a slender boy with a face so precisely beautiful it could cut your heart. He could not speak, but reportedly chirped and then agitated his arms like wings when he realised he was not understood.
    A similar story unfolded in 1956 in County Down, Northern Ireland, where a boy called Kevin Halfpenny, also seven, was discovered confined in the hen-house by his mother. He too was unable to speak, but cawed, and the reports of his discovery inspired "Bye-Child", an intensely moving poem by Seamus Heaney. The poem calls him: "Little moon-man/ Kennelled and faithful/ At the foot of the yard". It goes on to describe his release: "But now you speak at last/ With a remote mime/ of something beyond patience".
    The above was from an article released when the poor children of Fritzls were freed

As I understand it, the chicken coop did not have chickens in it - the boy was just rarely spoken to and and locked up.

Other cases around the world of similar things.
    This Russian boy was not spoken to and raised with birds.
    Vanya Yudin Russia boy 1
    Vanya Yudin Russian boy 2
    Vanya Yudin Russian boy 3

Man spent 4 years in chicken coop then tied to a bed for 20 years
    Girl forced to work in a chicken coop
    List of alleged cases of being raised by animals

It could all be total bollocks, but I bet there have been cases where children have sadly been locked up and treated like animals, and stories have been changed when past on etc.

Sorry if this seems an over the top reply, but I found it such a sad and curious story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thank you, that is a most comprehensive reply. Very sad to think there may have been truth to the story. I'm busy atm but will read it properly later.
    Funnily my neighbour who told me about it is from Buncranna too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Last December I went into hospital to have labour induced, so my parents came up to Dublin to be nearby when the baby was born (first grandchild). When I was admitted to the delivery suite in the early evening, we were warned that we were in for a long wait and that he wouldn't be born until early the next morning. Despite this, my parents decided to stay in the waiting room until he was born.

Things progressed much faster than any of us expected and at 9.45pm, my mother said to my father "He's here!" Five minutes later, they got the call to say that he was, in fact, here :) My mother said it was like someone whispered it in her ear, she is convinced it was my late grandmother who had passed away almost a year before.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Realist2

ya one day i was just going about my daily business and out of the blue i started thinking about a man i knew from a different town when i lived there a few years ago, conversations i had with him, and the image of him was in my mind, found out a week later, that was the day he topped himself, he was a nice chap

Advertisement