Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Post offering permanent addresses to homeless.

Options
  • 15-03-2019 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭

Excellent idea. Also read they made a forty million Euro profit last year,mainly from parcels.

At least one semi state company with a pulse.

TheJournal.ie: An Post to offer homeless people addresses at post offices to avail of services.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/an-post-homeless-address-4541437-Mar2019/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

Glad to see this is happening. It's about bloody time!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Surely hotels accept post...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭tritium

Brilliant idea, kudos to them. Anything that makes it easier to get back on your feet when down is welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Surely hotels accept post...?

Hotels are temporary,in theory at least.

A permanent address would be a Godsend until they get housed I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Why wasnt something like this done years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Why wasnt something like this done years ago?

It wasn't so topical an issue back then.

Just shows there's always room for a new good idea- must say I've been impressed with An Post's delivery approach for parcels from abroad recently- text message, tracking, option to change delivery address or day when close to delivery- hope they can reinvent themselves before they're all closed down but a good start, and I for one would feel fine about subsidising them simply to support rural communities and the marginalised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Hopefully it works out.
    A lot depends on other agencies accepting An Post Addresses.
    Someone mentioned hotels above. Often temporary addresses like that and Hostel addresses are not accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Just shows there's always room for a new good idea- must say I've been impressed with An Post's delivery approach for parcels from abroad recently- text message, tracking, option to change delivery address or day when close to delivery- hope they can reinvent themselves before they're all closed down but a good start, and I for one would feel fine about subsidising them simply to support rural communities and the marginalised

Made forty million last year. The closures are becoming hard to justify.

kneemos wrote: »
    Made forty million last year. The closures are becoming hard to justify.

Personally I believe we have to keep our rural communities alive- Post-Offices are hubs- they're there right now. It shouldn't take much to reinvent them, expand their services, and keep them going. It's not always about the money either. It's about local jobs too. I really believe technology can help these hubs and outlets, not destroy them. And until we fully figure it all out, I'm happy for my tax to help support them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement