Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

"Why did you carry out the attack?
    To most of all show the invaders that our lands will never be their lands,
    our homelands are our own and that, as long as a white man still lives,
    they will NEVER conquer our lands and they will never replace our
    people."
    Wonder what the Maoris will make of that statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

The manifesto mentions Ebba Akerlund, a little girl killed in Stockholm attack. Her death was his turning point, he says. That day for some time a devastating picture of Ebba's body was circulating on social media. I saw it here, linked on a boards thread. It was extremely shocking. I almost went into shock. There is so much talk of censorship online etc but yet these images are freely circulating, just as the video of this will. This is deeply wrong, in my opinion. These things radicalise people who are unstable and sick and violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Also before anyone pulls the whole “I’m doing exactly what the killer wants by watching the video” the worldwide 24 hour news media will give him the attention he wants moreso then me or any individual watching the video ever could.

If you get off on that shoite it's your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The numbers are horrendous, new Zealand pm has confirmed 40 dead and 20 injured

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

kneemos wrote: »
    If you get off on that shoite it's your problem.

His point isn't wrong, though.

One can't argue against Trump Jr's tweet.
    "Don’t give the POS NZ shooter what he wants. Don’t speak his name don’t show the footage. Seems that most agree on that. The questions is can the media do what’s right and pass up the ratings they’ll get by doing the opposite? I fear we all know the answer unfortunately.. "

The only time I can recall that the media self-censored and refused to give the shooter publicity was when it was one of their own reporters was killed. We make mass shooters some of the most famous people in history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

gmisk wrote: »
    The numbers are horrendous, new Zealand pm has confirmed 40 dead and 20 injured

If there are definitely two active shooter in different locations I wouldn’t be suprised to see it even higher then that. The mosque the guy in the video entered wasn’t exactly quiet. And he made sure anyone in there was dead. He also shot some outside and other random people in their driveways as he escaped the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If there are definitely two active shooter in different locations I wouldn’t be suprised to see it even higher then that. The mosque the guy in the video entered wasn’t exactly quiet. And he made sure anyone in there was dead. He also shot some outside and other random people in their driveways as he escaped the scene.
    It will likely be higher, bow reports of 48 people on top of that being treated for gunshot wounds....horrendous

absolutely disgusting :(

This kind of crap could easily trigger something prolonged and nasty were it to happen in the wrong part of Europe. We only have to look at the tit for tat crap that went on for decades in Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

This kind of crap could easily trigger something prolonged and nasty were it to happen in the wrong part of Europe. We only have to look at the tit for tat crap that went on for decades in Northern Ireland

With the new reports glorifying the last stronghold of isis collapsing, the discussion on whether to let people who were involved back into their former homes and now this I think we can assume that some kinda of retaliation from Islamic extreamists ia highly likely sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

His point isn't wrong, though.

One can't argue against Trump Jr's tweet.
    "Don’t give the POS NZ shooter what he wants. Don’t speak his name don’t show the footage. Seems that most agree on that. The questions is can the media do what’s right and pass up the ratings they’ll get by doing the opposite? I fear we all know the answer unfortunately.. "

The only time I can recall that the media self-censored and refused to give the shooter publicity was when it was one of their own reporters was killed. We make mass shooters some of the most famous people in history.

Dunblane was censored.

Don't think they'll be showing the footage, reporting the events no doubt.
    Though even these kind of events have become a one day headline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sadly is was always only a matter of time before another radicalised anti-islam terrorist attack.

Police need to attack this at the root and go after those radicalisbg them while making thousands off patreon and donations all the while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

With the new reports glorifying the last stronghold of isis collapsing, the discussion on whether to let people who were involved back into their former homes and now this I think we can assume that some kinda of retaliation from Islamic extreamists ia highly likely sometime soon.

And the sad thing about retaliation is that its always innocent people who pay the price.just like these 40 innocent people in NZ killed by cowardly scum. This world is away mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A despicable act. RIP to all the innocents taken from their families and communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

If this happened in India or Africa etc nobody would give a ****e though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

A disgusting act. RIP to all of the victims

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Think I’ll pass on the videos, awful stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

ebbsy wrote: »

Everything is relative I suppose. More familiar with Christchurch than Cairo or Calcutta.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

Totally sickening stuff!
    No right thinking person could fail to be horrified by this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Like Muslim terrorists haven't already been killing people left, right and centre over the years?

Like Muslim terrorists haven't already been killing people left, right and centre over the years?

a two way tit for tat situation would be something new and different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

AllForIt wrote: »
    That statement is going to be very very controversial.

why, it was mentioned on the radio here and he made mention of it in his own live stream...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ebbsy wrote: »

Mumbai terror attacks made headline news throughout the world in 2008...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Been listening to Radio NZ for the last hour, good coverage.

RIP to those who died.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I said it before...It was only a matter of time before some lunatic massacred people of Muslim/Islamic faith in retaliation to the horrific attacks we have witnessed the past few years.
    Unfortunately again it's always the innocent who suffer.
    RIP to the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

Pond scum Losers in life who feel the only way they can get noticed is to butcher innocent people including children, **** him, his cronies and every single thing they stand for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

A despicable and cowardly act. I wonder would it be asking too much to refer to this horrific attack as what it truly is....an act of terrorism.

Just because the shooter is a white man and the victims are Muslim doesn’t make this any less of a terrorist act.

RIP all who lost their lives and condolence to those left behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Turtwig wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, has there been any terrorist attacks in New Zealand by those who subscribe to a version of Islam? I ask because I can't recall any. How do you radicalise someone to the point of them murdering people of a different identity when that identity hasn't even committed any violence in the radicals' homeland? Extreme level of brainwashing.

In many ways I find this event more disturbing than other mass killings.

Prob had mental health issues. Psychotic break, could be drug induced. Extreme paranoia etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

mfceiling wrote: »
    I said it before...It was only a matter of time before some lunatic massacred people of Muslim/Islamic faith in retaliation to the horrific attacks we have witnessed the past few years.
    Unfortunately again it's always the innocent who suffer.
    RIP to the victims.

Those horrific attacks are no excuse for this - not every Muslim is evil personified. These people didn’t deserve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

A despicable and cowardly act. I wonder would it be asking too much to refer to this horrific attack as what it truly is....an act of terrorism.

Just because the shooter is a white man and the victims are Muslim doesn’t make this any less of a terrorist act.

RIP all who lost their lives and condolence to those left behind.

It has been called out as an act of terrorism already. Horrific

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Turtwig wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, has there been any terrorist attacks in New Zealand by those who subscribe to a version of Islam? I ask because I can't recall any. How do you radicalise someone to the point of them murdering people of a different identity when that identity hasn't even committed any violence in the radicals' homeland? Extreme level of brainwashing.

In many ways I find this event more disturbing than other mass killings.

Prob had mental health issues. Psychotic break, could be drug induced. Extreme paranoia etc.

True. Loon of the week Id say rather than some deep belief.

Advertisement