Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JANE HUDSON McCOMB m. ROBERT McGOWAN

• 25-08-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Slowly going mad trying to track down this lady and just hoping that somebody else may be researching either her or Robert McGowan. The only facts I have are that she (Jane) & Robert McGowan had a son, Robert Charles McGowan, in 1827, but what happened before, i.e., whether she was born Hudson and married McComb then married McGowan, or whether she was born McComb and married McGowan, is a complete mystery. There is a slight connection to Youghal for Jane and a connection to Portadown for McGowan. There was also a Christopher Hudson McComb born c. 1805 (parents Elizabeth Hudson and Thomas McComb). Finally I have details of a Jane Hudson McGowan's death, reg. Belfast, in 1876. Can't find any evidence of marriages in any instance. I'm relatively new to this genealogy thing so maybe I'm missing something but this missing link is driving me crazy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Where was Robert Charles born and baptised ?

I think that would be the parish to search first for a possible marriage to see if that has any clues.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 23 eilyc

Born in Lowestoft, Suffolk, May 1827, but can't find any record of recent marriages for parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Due to the date you would need to search for a church record of the marriage, which is going to be a problem unless you can establish where it might have been. Ideally you need to know the family religion (i.e. denomination) and which parish it took place in, so you can check what, if any records, are available.

Shane

Thanks Shane, I have a feeling, purely from trawling through every archive I can think of, that a Non Conformist Church could play some part in the story but which one or where is another matter....the search goes on!!.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Carmeyj

Hi Eilyc

I am a descendant from Robert Charles Mcgowan born Suffolk 1827 and died 1901 in South Africa. He married a South African lady and settled with her. They had 6 children, 1 was Jack Mcgowan who is my g,greatfather. Jack then married and had children, 1 was Fanny Mcgowan which my grandmother then she had my mom and so on.
    I am looking for any relatives of Robert Charles Mcgowan in Ireland. I also did research and found out that he was married before to a Elizabeth Crossley and they had children as well.
    If you have any further info that can assist me, I will be forever grateful.

Thank You
    Carmey

• Advertisement

Hi Carmey, great to hear from you... would love to know more about my great great grandfather Robert Charles McGowan as I don't really have too much info about him, especially about his time in South Africa. I had found details of his death in 1901 but had no idea he remarried out there!!! If you can pm me, I can send you as much of the information as I have. What would be fantastic would be if you had any photos of him or his wife? Looking forward to hearing from you, Helen.

Good day Helen

Many thanks for your response. My apologies for responding only now. My grandmother Fanny McGowan is the granddaughter of Robert Charles McGowan. This would make Robert Charles McGowan my great-great-great grandfather. Please advise me on how are you related to Robert Charles McGowan. I am going down to Lusikisiki end of the month so I will be able to get you some pics etc. Please could you also send me your contact details so we could chat nicely about this as I would love to know more about our family that side. Your assistance is highly appreciated.

Kind regards
    Carmey

Hi again Carmey, would love to correspond more fully with you but have no clue how to forward my email address to you without the whole world seeing it!! ... any ideas?? Anyway, just to answer your question, Robert Charles McGowan & his (first) wife Elizabeth Catherine Crossley were my great, great grandparents. One of their four children, Jane Helen, married my great grandfather, Robert Mordaunt Boyle. Their daughter, Helen Gertrude Boyle, (my grandmother), married her 1st cousin, Edward Tennyson Boyle, (married in Vancouver, Canada), eventually returned to Ireland, and one of their daughters, Maud Genevieve, is my mother! I have a lot of information of the McGowan/Crossley descendancy. Robert's parents were Robert McGowan & Jane Hudson McComb, & I have a small amount of information about them.
    Once we sort out the communication issue, I can forward as much info as you would like, would love to keep in touch,
    Helen

Hi Helen, Hope you are well, So glad we could make contact and getting to know our descendants. I will send you a private message on your boards.ie profile. This way no one will be able to view it. I am so excited and glad that we made contact. Regards
    Carmey

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cinds

Hi I am 4 years late I know, but am hoping either Carmeyj or Eilyc are still active on here. I’ve found out I am related to the ancestors being discussed. Robert Charles McGowan and Cima through their daughter Jane Hudson McGowan. I’d also like more info on Robert McGowan and Jane Hudson McComb.

Regards
    Cinds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 xtn

I am a descendant of Robert Charles McGowan in South Africa. Robert and Ciyama had a daughter Mary Hudson McGowan (most probably named after his mother). Mary married Thomas Ball, their daughter Mary Jane Ball married my great grandfather, Herbert Edward Evans (whom I knew, he lived to be 97). I am researching my family tree and would love more information regarding Robert Charles McGowan and Ciyama. I now live in Dallas, TX USA but most of my family lives in South Africa. My great grandfather always said I look like his late wife, Mary Jane. He was especially fond of me because I reminded him of her.

Thank you Hannah-Lee Eksteen (nee Evans)

How did Robert end up in Lusikisiki and who was Ciyama?

Advertisement