Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Newspaper Archives website issue

• 02-02-2019 10:05am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else having an issue accessing Irish Newspaper Archives?

I can log in but I'm getting a runtime error message when I try to access the papers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

Hermy wrote: »
    Anyone else having an issue accessing Irish Newspaper Archives?

I can log in but I'm getting a runtime error message when I try to access the papers.

I can't log in at all ,but I'm doing in through my student account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Working OK here on Virgin connection.

Often clearing the cache helps with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

It's working for me too using eir and I'm logging in through a student account.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm back in now so perhaps just something in the ether.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Does anyone with an account have the following problem... death notices from around 2006-2009 don't show up in search results, at least for the main papers. I searched for a particular entry, nothing showed up, so I thought maybe that edition was missing. But I then used the 'browse' function, did find that day's paper and the entry was there. Even if you search something general like 'murphy regretted', no death notices show up. Strange.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

murphy <NEAR> regretted

should work

The OCR is shockingly, appallingly bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

No I mean 'murphy regretted' will show up plenty of notices from other years but not from those I mentioned. The OCR is not perfect it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Does anyone with an account have the following problem... death notices from around 2006-2009 don't show up in search results, at least for the main papers. I searched for a particular entry, nothing showed up, so I thought maybe that edition was missing. But I then used the 'browse' function, did find that day's paper and the entry was there. Even if you search something general like 'murphy regretted', no death notices show up. Strange.

Fortunately RIP.ie started posting death notices from the early 2000s onwards; as we've found out from Covid19, RIP now publishes almost 100% death notices.

Advertisement