Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soarview / Technomate HD Modulator

• 27-05-2019 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone any experience with using a Technomate TM-RF HD IR in conjunction with Soarview?

I bought one to remove the bad analogue Skybox RF2 out distribution system I had and so now I have an extra channel on LCN 800 for the Skybox via DVB-
    T - The problem is that the quality is very inconsistent, it works well at times but the signal can go from bad to gone totally - a situation in which I can lose also the Soarview channels and a rescan must happen.

I tried the DB levels and added an attenuator on the RF-in also but little if anything seems to change.

The Setup is like this:

Antenna > attenuator 6dbm > TM-RF HD rf in > Rf Out to Distribution Amp > TVs
    Skybox > HDMI upscaler > TN-RF HD HDMI in > HDMI out to main TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ZeRoY wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone any experience with using a Technomate TM-RF HD IR in conjunction with Soarview?

I bought one to remove the bad analogue Skybox RF2 out distribution system I had and so now I have an extra channel on LCN 800 for the Skybox via DVB-
    T - The problem is that the quality is very inconsistent, it works well at times but the signal can go from bad to gone totally - a situation in which I can lose also the Soarview channels and a rescan must happen.

I tried the DB levels and added an attenuator on the RF-in also but little if anything seems to change.

The Setup is like this:

I don't have the TM device but do use an equivalent Edision device.
    https://www.freetv.ie/hdmi-modulator/

I have full strength output from a HDHomerun tuner added to the RF input of the Edision and a Sky+ HD box HDMI input.

I have had no problem with the signal out ...... shows 100% signal and sometimes more.

I do not understand why you would have to rescan for Saorview channels, unless the TM output frequency is drifting causing the TV to be off tune.

Maybe check to see if there is any setting in the TM which might help.
    Do you reboot the TM regularly? If not maybe a reboot would help settle it if that is the cause.

I cannot presently think of anything other than the TM drifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Setup is like this:

I believe my brother uses this one, Technomate TM-RF IR HD HDMI DVB-T RF Modulator, in conjunction with SkyQ and Saorview, he hasn't reported any problems.

A point to note with these units the modulator RF IN isn't really an aerial RF IN but a cascadeable connection between modulators.

To use in conjunction with an aerial a 2-way DC Pass Splitter (in combiner mode) is required, connecting the modulator output plus the aerial to the OUT ports. The IN port feeds the TV or amp.

My brother uses the T140 amp to allow the return IR signal back to the modulator. The SkyQ output is tuned to LCN 8 on the TV. Just to note this is working from memory, it was setup last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

The Cush wrote: »
    To use in conjunction with an aerial a 2-way DC Pass Splitter (in combiner mode) is required, connecting the modulator output plus the aerial to the OUT ports. The IN port feeds the TV or amp.

This could explain the various issues but Im finding it hard to understand the setup - could you possibly draw this? I have a 2-way powerpass so I should be able to test this!

Thanks,

EDIT: OK I understand now, in essence, do not have the aerial feed into the HD Modulator at all - this make sense! Ill try this tonight!!

Thanks again, the bypass of the aerial to the splitter worked perfectly and now Soarview channels are fine as well as the Modulated HD channel showing Quality 100/signal 100

:cool:

The Cush wrote:
    A point to note with these units the modulator RF IN isn't really an aerial RF IN but a cascadeable connection between modulators.

Which explains why my setup worked perfectly.
    I had previously used a splitter to combine aerial and convertor outputs, but had totally forgotten about that.

• Advertisement

EDIT: OK I understand now, in essence, do not have the aerial feed into the HD Modulator at all - this make sense! Ill try this tonight!!

That's it.

Just one other point, if it happens that the modulator's feed through the amp overloads the TV's tuner stick the attenuator in between the splitter/combiner and the modulator.

That's it.

Just one other point, if it happens that the modulator's feed through the amp overloads the TV's tuner stick the attenuator in between the splitter/combiner and the modulator.

Does that modulator not have an adjustment for its output which would do this?

I don't properly recall but believe that the Edision does and they seem to be the same device under different names.

That's it.

I kept my -6db on the aerial side and on the Modulator I have a -10db to +16db range - currently at 0db

I was starting to think the modulator was rubbish but now its working good its a really good upgrade from the RF2 out type solution! no more analogue!

I kept my -6db on the aerial side and on the Modulator I have a -10db to +16db range - currently at 0db

What's the reason for the attenuator on the aerial feed? Most people posting here would have low signal issues rather than too much from the aerial.

Does that modulator not have an adjustment for its output which would do this?

Personally I don't know, I'd have to look at my brother's setup.

• Advertisement

What's the reason for the attenuator on the aerial feed? Most people posting here would have low signal issues rather than too much from the aerial.

I could probably try without as I added this when still using analogue channels, without attenuation I was getting ghosting. I will see about getting a cheap DB meter if that exist to check levels - what should it be? Im on Clermont Carn (Louth)

Personally I don't know, I'd have to look at my brother's setup.

Aye - does indeed -10db to +16db in 1db increments - Spec wise looks idetnical to the Edison but does not seem to have the 4LTE filtering.

I could probably try without as I added this when still using analogue channels, without attenuation I was getting ghosting. I will see about getting a cheap DB meter if that exist to check levels - what should it be? Im on Clermont Carn (Louth)

50 dBμV - 75 dBμV at the wallplates is recommended. Less should be OK if you're plugging the aerial direct into an amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Hi,

The Setup is like this:

I've a similar setup with no issues. No attenuator though.

To confirm the RF in on the technomate can be used as an in to passthrough soarview. My aerial goes in to technomate and out to a HDhomerun so I get my skybox and soarview in one. I've had no issues - previously had issues with splitting it in to two tuners but getting the HDhomerun quattro has sorted that.

Nelbert wrote: »
    I've a similar setup with no issues. No attenuator though.

To confirm the RF in on the technomate can be used as an in to passthrough soarview. My aerial goes in to technomate and out to a HDhomerun so I get my skybox and soarview in one. I've had no issues - previously had issues with splitting it in to two tuners but getting the HDhomerun quattro has sorted that.

Interesting, mine clearly has issues if feeding aerial into RF IN, since bypasss its perfect. Maybe something to do with Muxes and LCN... my Soarview Muxes are on 52 and 56 I think. Or maybe power levels..

The Cush wrote:
    Which explains why my setup worked perfectly.
    I had previously used a splitter to combine aerial and convertor outputs, but had totally forgotten about that.

I got a chance to check how mine is wired and I have the aerial going in to the Edision along with the HDMI from a Sky+HD box output, and then on to tuners ...... HDHomerun Quattro.

All works perfectly with near enough 100% SNR and signal strength.

In my brother's setup the aerial is combined with the Technomate modulator feed in a combiner external of the modulator, why it was done this way I don't know but it works.

This is a similar setup I found via google

technomate-tm-rf-hd-body.jpg

Found a pic of my set up for comparison.

Maybe your brother's set up was done from the pic?

htpc-system.png

Maybe your brother's set up was done from the pic?

Maybe. His install was done by a professional installer in the Limerick area.

Im intrigued by this network and Sky Box Control thing, can you elaborate on this one?

Here is a quick drawing of my setup at present

sky_yohan_setup.png

• Advertisement

Im intrigued by this network and Sky Box Control thing, can you elaborate on this one?

Here is a quick drawing of my setup at present

sky_yohan_setup.png

This post has the same pic with some explanation,
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108671297&postcount=41

while the thread should fill in more information.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057826211

This scheme is not for everyone, but it is the most versatile I have found, and is easily tweaked, adjusted and changed. Even the hardware is not specific (except for Sky box) as all parts can be replaced by preferred equivalents.
    The same applies to the software used.

I was aiming to create the system at as small a cost as possible without compromising on variety of function.
    Certainly, replacing some hardware, such as those generating the display for TVs/monitors with some higher powered devices would most likely benefit those requiring UHD, HDR, 3D etc images.
    For my needs .... HD displays only and no requirement for fancy graphics and information for the library and such ..... the lower spec and much cheaper hardware is well capable.

This post has a link to the software I used to control the Skybox over the LAN
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107882186#post107882186

Interesting, didnt know this was a thing! One thing that isnt clear on your setup is where and how you connect the TVs? Ethernet or Coax?

As for my system, I already purchased an ~Enigma2 box running Wooshbuild with SKy+ Skin (ZGemma H7S) and it will replace the Skybox soon - I can stream on phones and tablets, record, etc...

Interesting, didnt know this was a thing! One thing that isnt clear on your setup is where and how you connect the TVs? Ethernet or Coax?

As for my system, I already purchased an ~Enigma2 box running Wooshbuild with SKy+ Skin (ZGemma H7S) and it will replace the Skybox soon - I can stream on phones and tablets, record, etc...

The data is distributed over the LAN ... both wired and wireless, but wireless is not really suited IMO.

I use a low powered device like that used for the wee server (Tanix Tx3 mini or such) running CoreElec or LibreElec with Kodi.
    This then feeds the monitors/TVs with HDMI signal.
    I have no 'smart' TVs, but if one has Kodi in it apps then that could be used directly with ethernet cable along with WWW access.

Kodi can access all tuners; set recordings; replay recorded content and any other media stored.

All recordings are stored on a central file server/NAS and all devices on the LAN can access them.

It is suitable for some but not all ..... is great for multi point receiving and there is only one set of tuners and no coax distribution to TV use points.

So, from a cost perspective, one receiver box rather than multiples, in central location, with the small TV boxes costing about €40 each at TV points.

If in future UHD becomes generally available, and a suitable TV/Monitor is purchased for one location that is all that is needed to be changed, maybe along with its Kodi device if that is not capable of UHD (quite a few are, even down at that price).

Ever want to add a TV somewhere unforeseen?
    Hopefully location has LAN wiring, but if not then Home Plugs or similar or even wireless can be used.

Over time the use case in most of the rooms in my house have changed, and whereas previously I would be looking at getting coax in and buying a new receiver and HDD etc to be able to watch TV or film, this scheme covers all that over the LAN.

Yes I can see how it has some great advantages but geared more towards tech savvy - A solution I could see myself using if SHE wasn't around :rolleyes:

Im hoping soon we will see multi channel HD modulators - could do with 2 at least but don't fancy cascading another one, its greedy in Power judging by the heat dissipated!

Yes I can see how it has some great advantages but geared more towards tech savvy - A solution I could see myself using if SHE wasn't around :rolleyes:

Im hoping soon we will see multi channel HD modulators - could do with 2 at least but don't fancy cascading another one, its greedy in Power judging by the heat dissipated!

Thankfully SWMBO is ok with it here as I set up the channel list in the order she wanted and I do not allow that to change.
    I set it up in parallel with an existing STB before switching to it permanently.

The client box is switched on with the TV and the one remote is sufficient because all media is accessible from the client box.

HDMI>DVB-T modulators are a waste IMO, but needed for the likes of Sky. I know of no other use for them TBH.
    There is an Edision version with twin HDMI inputs ..... believe I came across it some time ago ..... but of course they are costly.

Me being the cheapskate that I am want everything I use to be cost efficient. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

I have one of these technomate devices into the HDMI Out of a CCTV system

In order for it not to flatten everything on the UHF Band, I had to put it in Band 3 and send its "input" (not RF Out) to the UHF distribution amp in the house.

Tried wiring it once directly into an antenna and was able to pick it up over a km away !!!!

Advertisement