Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coroners inquest

• 01-04-2019 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Wondering about the inquest process, are they (Coroner, Garda) required to tell victims families that it’s taking place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Emilee wrote: »
    Wondering about the inquest process, are they (Coroner, Garda) required to tell victims families that it’s taking place?

I don’t believe there’s any requirement to inform family members that it’s taking place, however generally a family member identified the deceased to the Gardai. This person is normally asked to attend the coroners court and their deposition is read out by the coroners clerk and the witness may be asked clarifying questions by the coroner. Generally the Garda will know a couple months prior that the inquest is taking place and the coroner will have a list of witnesses that she/he would like to attend. Those witnesses are informed by the Garda who reported the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CplMick

If the Inquest is into a family member you are normally informed by the coroners office and it is up to you then if you wish to attend.

I am not a 100% sure it is a requirement but I believe it maybe.
    If you contact the coroners court in writing and ask to be informed explaining your relationship to the case I believe they will reply to you.
    They may also reply outlining your level of requirements with any such hearing i.e. if they intend to call you as a witness or if your attendance is a requirement...
    The Coroners court is alway's for the Victim and the Facts first and foremost and are generally good at dealing with the family in a understanding and as helpful as they can sort of way.

Hope This Helps.

If you are asking this on your own behalf My condolences on your Loss.

Advertisement