Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA P5 -Advanced Performance Management Lecture Recommendations

• 16-01-2019 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am sitting F5 Performance Management in March and thinking of going straight on to P5 Advanced Performance Management in June.

Has anyone sat the P5 paper in the last few years and have recommendations on lecturers?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

Hi Guys,

I am sitting F5 Performance Management in March and thinking of going straight on to P5 Advanced Performance Management in June.

Has anyone sat the P5 paper in the last few years and have recommendations on lecturers?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Use Noel Ryan in DBS he is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mad_shopaholic

Highly Recommend Michael Barry in accountancyschool.ie I passed in Dec sitting after being exempt from F5 and not having done P3 or SBL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 21,936 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Also recommend Michael Barry, excellent lecturer. Passed first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Will you have finished all the F exams - you used to need to finish F stage before going on to the Professional exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Will check out both lectures.

Will you have finished all the F exams - you used to need to finish F stage before going on to the Professional exams.

I didn't do the F level exams in order (not sure if that was the best decision looking back) and F5 is the last one at F level, so wanted to spring board straight onto P5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Ricepudding

doing similar now .. which APM lecturer did you choose and would you recommend?

After looking into things a little bit more I decided to go ahead with SBL first as there is some cross over between SBL and APM will be starting APM in Sept with Michael Barry,

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ricepudding

cheers & good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭PCO2019

Hi all,

I was fortunate enough to be exempt from ACCA F1 to F9 from college (Graduated in 2012). I am considering taking tuition for APM with Noel Ryan at Professional Accountancy Training and I am wondering will he run through the course as if I have never seen F5 or P3 before ? (Passed P3 in like 2014 and took time off to travel). My main concern is that I have no knowledge from the foundation papers to tackle this exam, any advise would be appreciated. Sincere thanks for all replies in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭CassieManson

PCO2019 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was fortunate enough to be exempt from ACCA F1 to F9 from college (Graduated in 2012). I am considering taking tuition for APM with Noel Ryan at Professional Accountancy Training and I am wondering will he run through the course as if I have never seen F5 or P3 before ? (Passed P3 in like 2014 and took time off to travel). My main concern is that I have no knowledge from the foundation papers to tackle this exam, any advise would be appreciated. Sincere thanks for all replies in advance :)

The lecturers will generally not have time to go over all of the underlying papers. By applying for exemptions you are stating that you have the knowledge from F1 to F9. If you are accepting these exemptions you should take a look at some of the content and past exam questions for any underlying papers as it is now 7 years since you completed your degree.

• Advertisement

Thanks Cassie!

Yeah by taking the exemptions there is an assumed Knowledge, I don't mind doing the work/reviewing previous foundation level papers but if they're covered in class I would have steered clear :). Has anyone experience with Noel Ryan (With PAT now but was with DBS) ?

Thanks Cassie!

Yeah by taking the exemptions there is an assumed Knowledge, I don't mind doing the work/reviewing previous foundation level papers but if they're covered in class I would have steered clear :). Has anyone experience with Noel Ryan (With PAT now but was with DBS) ?

I had Noel for APM and can't recommend him enough. It is actually quite a small syllabus and believe it or not is actually common business sense.

Noel will explain the principles of the subject rather than just the subject itself. That way you are prepared for something coming up in an exam that you had not seen before.

Thanks "The student" very informative, cheers!

Hi folks,

I found out on Fri that PAT won’t be running a course for the March 2020 exams. Has anyone any experience/recommendations with the lectures listed below:

GCC - Jim Daly

ICD - Martin Corboy

Or would it be worth my while waiting for tuition to be provided for the June 2020 exams with PAT ?

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 klad101

Hi folks,

I found out on Fri that PAT won’t be running a course for the March 2020 exams. Has anyone any experience/recommendations with the lectures listed below:

GCC - Jim Daly

ICD - Martin Corboy

Or would it be worth my while waiting for tuition to be provided for the June 2020 exams with PAT ?

Many thanks!

What's ICD? Any reason you're not considering Michael Barry @ Accountancy School? I'm debating doing APM or waiting till June to do Adv Tax - ill prob go to Michael if I decide on APM.

Also what do you think of the move to CBE? I can't decide if its a good or bad thing - pros and cons i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

My next paper is APM/P5 and I'm between Noel Ryan at PAT and James Browne at DBS. I'd prefer to support PAT, but DBS's schedule and Kaplan materials suit me better, so I'm a little torn. Has anyone had both of them? As far as I can see they both lectured in DBS at one point.

Also: Has anyone had difficulty booking the CBE exam for June? Most of the venues don't seem to be available - could they have booked out already?

My next paper is APM/P5 and I'm between Noel Ryan at PAT and James Browne at DBS. I'd prefer to support PAT, but DBS's schedule and Kaplan materials suit me better, so I'm a little torn. Has anyone had both of them? As far as I can see they both lectured in DBS at one point.

Also: Has anyone had difficulty booking the CBE exam for June? Most of the venues don't seem to be available - could they have booked out already?

Go with Noel trust me on this.

Go with Noel trust me on this.

I’m thinking that way alright. Have you had experience of James?

I’m thinking that way alright. Have you had experience of James?

Yes I had James for Performance Management in DBS, I found all he did was read notes out of the book.

I had Noel for APM and he made the subject interesting and was able to put real life examples to the course (some of which you would have seen, but will see them in a different light when he explains their significance to APM).

The syllabus is actually quiet small and it relies on common sense to a large degree. You just have to put a Performance Management slant on it rather than a general business slant on it.

Yes I had James for Performance Management in DBS, I found all he did was read notes out of the book.

I had Noel for APM and he made the subject interesting and was able to put real life examples to the course (some of which you would have seen, but will see them in a different light when he explains their significance to APM).

The syllabus is actually quiet small and it relies on common sense to a large degree. You just have to put a Performance Management slant on it rather than a general business slant on it.

Okay - thank you, this is really useful. I'll stick with PAT. That was my feeling anyway - I couldn't imagine Gerry bringing over someone who wasn't top notch. I'll buy the Kaplan text book and pocket notes separately.

• Advertisement

I went to Noel in PAT but did a revision course with Michael Barry in Accounting School a couple of weeks before the exam. Passed first time in the December sitting.

Two different styles and to be honest I felt I benefitted from both.

Advertisement