Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Becoming a Fire Fighter

Options
  • 15-01-2019 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

I’ve recently become unemployed. I was working continuously for 10 years and recently that company went out of business.

I’m 32. Play GAA so I’m fit and reasonably strong. I’ve always been interested in the fire service but never gave it much thought as I was happy in my old job.

I would be very interested in trying to become a fireman. I’m wondering what do I need to enhance my chances when they start recruiting again? What courses would be beneficial? Would becoming a retained firefighter be good?

Is it realistic that someone at my age would get recruited?

Sorry now for all the questions and thank you to anyone that has any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Hi,

I’ve recently become unemployed. I was working continuously for 10 years and recently that company went out of business.

I’m 32. Play GAA so I’m fit and reasonably strong. I’ve always been interested in the fire service but never gave it much thought as I was happy in my old job.

I would be very interested in trying to become a fireman. I’m wondering what do I need to enhance my chances when they start recruiting again? What courses would be beneficial? Would becoming a retained firefighter be good?

Is it realistic that someone at my age would get recruited?

Sorry now for all the questions and thank you to anyone that has any help.
    Where are you based?
    Dublin fire brigade will be recruiting in the next few months.
    32 is Absolutely not too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 newrecruit2

bono_v wrote: »
    Where are you based?
    Dublin fire brigade will be recruiting in the next few months.
    32 is Absolutely not too old.

Thank you for the reply. Based in Galway. Not sure if they have many full time or not. I know they recruited about 14 months ago so not sure what that means in regards to when they’ll recruit again. Also wondering if it’s worth applying for if I haven’t been a retained fire fighter etc.

I’ve a degree but sadly it’s got no relevance to the job. I’m willing to do whatever course would help in my application.

But again, if they only hire 2-3 full time and there’s 5000 applying, some of which are retained FF then maybe it’s highly unlikely I’ll get anything there.

Thanks again for the response and any info or help at all would be hugely appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Quosarmy

Don't know if this will help but here goes, I'm in the job, south east, firstly, 32 not too old at all, I was 32, got accepted, that's 17 years ago, what I would recommend, you get as much information as possible from your local authority as regards terms and conditions of employment, as regards courses to enhance your application, it may be a prerequisite of that council that you hold a valid c licence, if not you're fine they will most likely send you on a driving course, everything else will be in house training,maybe a first aid or computer course but I wouldn't worry unnecessarily.
    Secondly, get as much information as possible about the station nearest to you, get to know some of the firefighters, ask the SO for a look around, ask as many questions as you can and take notes, types of equipment used, how many calls they get, types of fire appliances, water tankers etc, how often they train, learn about the job in general.
    Finally, this I cannot emphasise enough, think about what you're doing, this job is a massive massive massive commitment, if you're single fine, if not, hope you have a very understanding partner, unless there is some kind of roster in the particular station that allows you to have some kind of quality of life, please think about it, because you will lose out on family life, and all kinds of occasions, covering when crews are on leave /sickness, it does take its toll, and being the nature of the job, you are going to see some gruesome things, all kinds of stuff, fatalies etc, but it's all in a days graft as the saying goes, that's me done, hope this was some help, best of luck if you decide to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

Galway currently has 36 full time, spread over 4 watches of 9.

The current recruitment panel is almost at the end of its life. Over the next 5 yrs, over half of the brigade will be retired ( assuming age of 55 is still in force), and will need to be replaced. There is no automatic intake from any retained section, it will be an open competition for recruits. Previously, candidates needed to have a truck licence before applying, however this was not a requirement in the last round of interviews.

Full time would be the dream, I'm retained in kilkenny, that's why I suggested either checking is there an official or unofficial roster should you go down the retained road, different councils will either insist you have a c licence before starting, or in our case a recruit will be required to obtain a c licence in their probationary period, we don't as a rule have a roster so with the exception of annual leave its pretty much 24/7, which is getting to be a pain in the nuts, also the retained as we know it may be due for a shake up, as a result of the matzak ruling, interesting times ahead guys

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for the replies. Very much appreciated.

Ok, so basically I need to get as much going for me as possible. Truck license, first aid etc.

I see that having a degree in engineering is advantageous, what I’m wondering do candidates with this background completely leap frog everyone else at the interview stage? As in if it’s down to the last 20...are people with engineering backgrounds more likely to get in?

Does anyone have any idea of the numbers that applied last time? Say if Galway take on 5-6, would there be 1,000 candidates?

Thanks again for the replies, massively helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

Wouldn't worry too much about a degree and wouldn't worry about a first aid course or truck driving. I have got many through the interviews and have got the job. It is a new interviewing technique. It is competency based. Google that, it is very important. Also knowledge, do you know what a hose is?, do you know what calls they go to? do you know how the fire service is made up?, do you know how the council works?.

Also there will be a suitability test, fitness, heights, strength, tight spaces and recall for example. Differs with counties.

As mentioned the retained service will be changing very soon, the make up of it is unknown at this point but it is a worthwhile job, just not currently as retained. If you have any questions on it let me know!

derossi wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry too much about a degree and wouldn't worry about a first aid course or truck driving. I have got many through the interviews and have got the job. It is a new interviewing technique. It is competency based. Google that, it is very important. Also knowledge, do you know what a hose is?, do you know what calls they go to? do you know how the fire service is made up?, do you know how the council works?.

Also there will be a suitability test, fitness, heights, strength, tight spaces and recall for example. Differs with counties.

As mentioned the retained service will be changing very soon, the make up of it is unknown at this point but it is a worthwhile job, just not currently as retained. If you have any questions on it let me know!

derossi wrote: »

Ok, thank you for all that...really really helpful. I’m aware of competency based interviews. I actually feel this would suit me. There’ll be aspects of the process I feel I would do well in. I suppose my biggest concern is how many will be going for it? I’ve done aptitude tests before and always got to the next stage but I’ve never had to do ones where maybe you have to score in the top 10%.

I’ll try and speak to someone at the local county council office and maybe they can direct me to someone that has the information. Also maybe reach out to people in the FB station too.

What do you mean by the part, do I know how the council works?

Try and get as much information as possible, name the different types of hoses, lengths of hoses, explain the triangle of fire( TOF), how many calls responded to in a year, what type of RTC equipment you have, briefly describe how a pump works, sounds incredible but these are the types of questions you may be asked, also what always comes up, describe the equipment you have stored on alpha 1(your main appliance), keep up the fitness levels for the selection tests,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What is meant by the retained service changing soon? All services. I find it frustrating that living in Dublin I am excluded from Kildare, Meath, Wicklow even Louth at a push.p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

TallGlass wrote: »
    What is meant by the retained service changing soon? All services. I find it frustrating that living in Dublin I am excluded from Kildare, Meath, Wicklow even Louth at a push.p

The change is pay related , basically retained lads are on call say for 7 days straight and only get paid per call out which might only be one call & a retainer cheque every quarter . The argument is that they’re on call so they’re technically working and getting paid below minimum wage . I think it’s along those lines .

Hard to know exact changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Fire1985 wrote: »
    The change is pay related , basically retained lads are on call say for 7 days straight and only get paid per call out which might only be one call & a retainer cheque every quarter . The argument is that they’re on call so they’re technically working and getting paid below minimum wage . I think it’s along those lines .

Hard to know exact changes

Slightly unrelated I've heard stories in other countries not saying this has or hasn't happened in Ireland where retained firefighters who were paid on a per fire basis deliberately starting fires or getting family members to do so in order for there to be a callout and for them to get paid. By paying firefighters on a per fire basis are they not running this risk.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/07/firefighters-arrested-in-sicily-for-starting-blazes-to-earn-extra-money

Advertisement