Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question for Student Paramedic NAS or recently qualified

• 12-12-2018 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I’ve a question for anyone currently a student paramedic for the NAS.

Have many / any students left or been asked to leave the course due to not being able to make the grades etc OR realising that it’s not for them & they’re not able to deal with some of the the traumatic events that are encountered during day to day life in the job ?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I'm recently qualified. Out of 22 who started we had 2 who didn't make it through PHECC exams and a couple of others got internship extensions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Out of curiosity, do you know did those 2 who failed have to repay any of the training costs? Was it the first or second set of exams that got them?

What's an internship extension - is it after completing the 12-month internship, they were deemed not to have reached the standard but can continue in placements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

ectoraige wrote:
    Out of curiosity, do you know did those 2 who failed have to repay any of the training costs? Was it the first or second set of exams that got them?

One in each set of exams. I'm not totally sure but I don't think they did but can't be quoted on it.
    ectoraige wrote:
    What's an internship extension - is it after completing the 12-month internship, they were deemed not to have reached the standard but can continue in placements?

Yeah 8 weeks more to complete things and another interview

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

We lost 4 from my class over the 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 32 movers&shakers

sjb25 wrote: »
    We lost 4 from my class over the 2 years

Was that due to those not making grades or realising that they can’t deal with some of traumatic events?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

Was that due to those not making grades or realising that they can’t deal with some of traumatic events?

Not making the grades unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

We were the first class in when recruitment started in 2016. Started with 32 and finished with 28 at the end of 2 years.

searescue wrote: »
    We were the first class in when recruitment started in 2016. Started with 32 and finished with 28 at the end of 2 years.

Was that due to not making the grades or did anybody decide it was the wrong choice for them?

Did the age group vary widely in the class ?

Thanks.

I was looking at T&C’s of employment with the HSE NAS, & it states that they will place you near your place of residence “where/when possible” - being the term which is loose, but I’ve heard they actually place staff anywhere & everywhere nationally.

Is that actually the case ?

If so, how are you guys sourcing accommodation ? (AIR B&B and the like ?), & also is this expense covered or are youse funding this out of your own pockets.

I’m from & living in Dublin, & I’m due to start soon.
    I’m mid thirties, gang of kids & all that jazz, paramedic is something I want to do & it’s obviously going to be reasonably hard starting over, low wages etc etc. But I need to know is being moved about, Nationally, and for how long, something that realistically I have to consider too, or will I most likely be in commute distance.

Thanks guys.

Advertisement