Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda recruitment 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Crafty_Veteran

Hi Guys,

I am beginning to worry about the forthcoming Stage 1 aptitude tests. I have signed up for Career Services prep course and I have been doing practice tests everyday. Some of them seem easy and some of them I am really struggling with. Like in verbal / non verbal tests I could score 90% in one test and then I could struggle 50% in the next one. I think I need some advise or reassurance.

Does anyone have any experience with these and do they know if they are similar to the real thing?
    Does anyone know what passing grade is for each test?
    Is numeral included in the 2019 campaign?

Regards
    Crafty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Hi Guys,

I am beginning to worry about the forthcoming Stage 1 aptitude tests. I have signed up for Career Services prep course and I have been doing practice tests everyday. Some of them seem easy and some of them I am really struggling with. Like in verbal / non verbal tests I could score 90% in one test and then I could struggle 50% in the next one. I think I need some advise or reassurance.

Does anyone have any experience with these and do they know if they are similar to the real thing?

Regards
    Crafty

Nobody knows the passing grades or how it is scored. Just do your best and practice you can't do anything more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Kevin17W wrote: »
    9th May to 16th May 2019 Stage 1 On-line Assessments

Taken from info booklet

A bit of a balls, but applied last minute. So it pretty much only one week to study with the online course material. As, I am on holidays this day week.. Ah well..

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sazxox

Hi Guys,

Regards
    Crafty

Some of the course ones are easy enough and some are hard its really just pot luck what comes up on the day. Are you doing any of the couses on site with them?

sazxox wrote: »
    Some of the course ones are easy enough and some are hard its really just pot luck what comes up on the day. Are you doing any of the couses on site with them?

Hello Sazxox,

Yes I am just going to keep practicing and hopefully I get lucky on the day. That's all I can hope for really.

I only applied for the online material as I am currently living in Toronto. If I get through to stage two I am going to have to fly home at the drop of a hat and probably pay a bomb for flights (That's another thing I have to worry about) but I think it will be worth it long term.

Have you done on the onsite tests?

Regards,
    Crafty :)

• Advertisement

Oh wow, yes will definately be worth it :) Im doing it tomorrow, if there are any good tips/material I'll send them on to you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My son has just completed his probation, joined in 2017. He didn't use any of these career service outfits due to cost. He spoke to serving Garda and done several free online tests. Just saying it's not necessary to do these courses.

Oh wow, yes will definately be worth it :) Im doing it tomorrow, if there are any good tips/material I'll send them on to you! :)

Hi Sazxox,

That would be absolutely brilliant. I appreciate that :)

Regards,
    Crafty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EL11

Hi Guys,

Regards
    Crafty
    For stage 1 last year I just used the examples they give you in the familiarisation material. They're not the best but they give you a rough idea of what the tests are like and I managed to get through it fine. For stage 2 then just to play it safe I bought the online career services course.

Just don't get too bogged down with them buddy. They're not as bad as you think and they become much harder when you over think them I found!

Best of luck!

EL11 wrote: »
    For stage 1 last year I just used the examples they give you in the familiarisation material. They're not the best but they give you a rough idea of what the tests are like and I managed to get through it fine. For stage 2 then just to play it safe I bought the online career services course.

Just don't get too bogged down with them buddy. They're not as bad as you think and they become much harder when you over think them I found!

Best of luck!

Out of curiosity, are you a Garda now or still in the process?

• Advertisement

job seeker wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, are you a Garda now or still in the process?

Still technically in the process. Got offered a place in April but had to defer to finish college, so hoping for July now!

Still technically in the process. Got offered a place in April but had to defer to finish college, so hoping for July now!

Nice! Being offered a place is brilliant! Best of luck!

job seeker wrote: »
    Nice! Being offered a place is brilliant! Best of luck!

Thank you, appreciate that! Best of luck with your application! :)

Thank you, appreciate that! Best of luck with your application! :)

Second time lucky hopefully! Alas! I am trying to use it as a learning experience and take it in my stride! Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

How did you get on at this? Did you find it beneficial? :)

SquireD wrote: »
    How did you get on at this? Did you find it beneficial? :)

Hey,

Yeah it was very good. A lot of common knowledge tips but i'll post what them here later as a few poeple have been asking.. nothing much we already know though but will def post them here when I'm home from work :)

Hey,

Yeah it was very good. A lot of common knowledge tips but i'll post what them here later as a few poeple have been asking.. nothing much we already know though but will def post them here when I'm home from work :)

Cool thanks! :cool: Gutted i didn't attend it but hopefully the online course does enough to cover whats needed!

Cool thanks! :cool: Gutted i didn't attend it but hopefully the online course does enough to cover whats needed!

Just had a few mins there so wrote up basically what I found useful .. It's prob nothing new to anyone but hopefully it'll help someone!! :) see below -

The style used – no one knows yet. Everyone who applied will be sent a ‘familiarisation email’ this week by public jobs and this will all be revealed then. They will let us know what type of questions, how many mins and how many questions etc.

OOM – basically this year the top 800 will be called in first, then the next 800 etc and so on.

If anyone has purchased the career services online course, they will update it with similar exams one / two days after we are sent the familiarisation email. For example, if the familiarisation email says there will be 25 verbal reasoning questions and 17 mins to complete, career services will upload several tests with the same amount of questions and minutes, same with logical reasoning.

Tips for verbal – 1 - he recommended to read passage once picking out significant key words. For example, words like ‘fish’ if the passage is about fish won’t be beneficial. However, words with a capital letter, a hyphen, a number, a place name or a person name we should be keeping an eye out for as if the statement asks for something on that info (which he says it most likely will), then we will have a rough idea as to where the word is such as top, middle or bottom. 2 – be aware for trick words. For example, the statement could say ‘a lot of people drive cars’, and the passage states ‘most of the people drive cars’, the answer would be cannot say as ‘a lot’ is subjective. ‘a lot’ to one person could be completely different to another. However, if the statement was ‘more than half of the people drive cars’, this would be true as ‘most’ (per the passage) means more than half. So just keep an eye out for words like that. Other words could be ‘may’ ‘cannot’ ‘can’ ‘more than half’ ‘almost half’ etc, if you see those words in the statement just read it carefully.

Tips for logical – I canty really explain any of the tips for this as it’s hard to show without the diagrams. However just brush up on clock movements, clockwise and anticlockwise, linear equations, numerical equations, bouncing and queue movements, if you have the basics in those you will be able to sort any of the problems really. There hard but looking at them a second time can show you something you didn’t see the first time (obviously only have the chance to look twice when in practice, not in the real tests)

Tips for job stimulation / personality - don’t give the wrong impression (motivations for the role) the tests where you have to say like 'this has to be part of my job ' or 'this can’t be part of my job' etc, he was saying like all of the answers were basically at the end of the information booklet, like working with the community etc but said like to choose 'I don’t mind weather this is part of my job or not' for the ones like 'having power' etc as he says that you don’t want to give off the wrong motivations for the role but still need to acknowledge that its part of the job. I know that that’s pretty straight forward but he said just to be careful what your picking as some things are obviously part of the job but there not the desirables of the job so don’t click 'this has to be part of the job' just because it is actually part of being a garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Alex104

I’m new to all of these tests so have been doing my research to see if I can get practice online.
    I heard about the classroom things in hotels but I want to practice in my own time after work.
    Its hard to get a day off to go too. I bought an Online course from a company called GardaIP.
    Its run by a retired Garda Chief . Loads of tutorials and practice tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Garda IP do everything now from start to finish. I think that nearly everyone that goes to them gets in. They have a superintendent who used to actually do the interviews. My cousin is in Templemore now after he went to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

When we getting Familiarisation materials

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

daniel1390 wrote: »
    When we getting Familiarisation materials

I dont no I thought we would have got something by now, hopefully sometime today.

Hi all, quick question regarding stage 1, so we have like a week to do the assessment questionnaire and then a week to do the aptitudes, is that how it works. I would imahine we woukd have Familiarisation material by now if tests apparently start Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanD123

daniel1390 wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question regarding stage 1, so we have like a week to do the assessment questionnaire and then a week to do the aptitudes, is that how it works. I would imahine we woukd have Familiarisation material by now if tests apparently start Thursday

I'd say we will get the familiarisation material tomorrow

Still no e-mail??? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Hot_Fuzz

You’ll be posting the same thing in a year from now if you’re successful in the first 4 stages haha

Yeah still none, aptitudes meant to be out tomorrow?!!

The aptitudes were meant to have started today!

I thought it was the 9th - 16th no?

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 27 jenjenHarley

I thought it was the 9th - 16th no?

That's correct

Advertisement