Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IKEA TRÅDFRI

Options
  • 30-09-2018 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi there

I purchased the IKEA TRÅDFRI gateway. I cannot get it to connect through the app, it is not appearing at all. The gateway has a steady light so appears to be connected to the internet.

I cannot access the broadband router as I am with Imagine.

Anyone had this issue...?

Thabks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

ITMissy wrote: »
    Hi there

I purchased the IKEA TRÅDFRI gateway. I cannot get it to connect through the app, it is not appearing at all. The gateway has a steady light so appears to be connected to the internet.

I cannot access the broadband router as I am with Imagine.

Anyone had this issue...?

Thabks.

Do you have an accessory with it? Like a remote, motion sensor or dimmer switch? You need one of these to get the app to connect to the gateway. So I found out to my surprise last week. I had to head back to ikea and buy a dimmer for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ITMissy

Do you have an accessory with it? Like a remote, motion sensor or dimmer switch? You need one of these to get the app to connect to the gateway. So I found out to my surprise last week. I had to head back to ikea and buy a dimmer for a tenner.

I have the remote. The app will not see the gateway. Then I use the remote to connect to the bulbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I had the same issue, it appeared the following day??

Perhaps it's a restart issue, try turning everything off, then on again.

I have the remote. The app will not see the gateway. Then I use the remote to connect to the bulbs?

Have you set up the remote in the app? It should give you instructions through the app to set up the remote first and then follow on with instructions for the gateway. I had to hold the dimmer up next to the gateway and press the reset button I think.

I had the same issue, it appeared the following day??

Perhaps it's a restart issue, try turning everything off, then on again.

Done that's a few times. Will leave it overnight see if helps.

• Advertisement

Have you set up the remote in the app? It should give you instructions through the app to set up the remote first and then follow on with instructions for the gateway. I had to hold the dimmer up next to the gateway and press the reset button I think.

I can't get as far as the app to sync the remote. The gateway will not appear. It keeps telling me it cannot find the gateway.

I can't get as far as the app to sync the remote. The gateway will not appear. It keeps telling me it cannot find the gateway.

Are you on Android or ios? I'm android and I had to set up the dimmer switch first before going anywhere near the gateway. I opened the app and it gave me the 4 options of which accessory to set up and wouldn't go any further until I had.

Are you on Android or ios? I'm android and I had to set up the dimmer switch first before going anywhere near the gateway. I opened the app and it gave me the 4 options of which accessory to set up and wouldn't go any further until I had.

Downloaded the android app. I have the remote working on a few bulbs already. I did the sync sequence with the gateway, don't know if that worked. app is still not picking up the gateway. Does not come up with any options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Had similar problems, upon googling the solution I found out how poorly rated the Tradfri system is. Returned it and bought Philips Hue and dont regret it for a second. Its a vastly superior system.

Philips hue is constantly on sale on amazon too.

Downloaded the android app. I have the remote working on a few bulbs already. I did the sync sequence with the gateway, don't know if that worked. app is still not picking up the gateway. Does not come up with any options.

I was just driving home there and realised you probably mean that it's when you're scanning the qr code on the back of the gateway?

I had to give it a good few tries but it eventually got it.

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Had similar problems, upon googling the solution I found out how poorly rated the Tradfri system is. Returned it and bought Philips Hue and dont regret it for a second. Its a vastly superior system.

Yeah, I've hue throughout the house but grabbed some gu10 tradfri bulbs a while back and couldn't get them to sync with the hue bridge. Then thought I'd just grab the rest of the tradfri stuff to see how it measured up to the hue.

I'd advise folk to save a bit extra and buy hue now tbh! It was fairly seamless in the setup compared to tradfri.

Hogzy wrote: »

i thought it would work for the basic setup I needed. Will return, I spent way too long in this, trying to get it set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I had Hue bulbs and due to a proposed move, gave them to my mother. So ended up not moving and getting the Ikea stuff. To be honest, Never really looked back. Yeah I miss some things from the Hue setup, having lights come on and off at sunset and sunrise. But generally I don't see the problems.

I also had to return to buy one dimmer, which lives on a shelf as I never use it. Everything is done via Google Home units.

I do wish they would integrate with IFFT or Stringify

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

See there are 3 new tradfri options, including sockets. No photos as yet. Also the colour bulb is now available without the switch

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

thecivvie wrote: »
    See there are 3 new tradfri options, including sockets. No photos as yet. Also the colour bulb is now available without the switch

Pictures available on the swedish site, obvs with different fitting.

Wonder if the pricing is the right way around on the Irish site, cheaper with the wireless controller?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There is a new wall on/off switch coming as well, alll the devices are shown in the app

Rew wrote: »
    There is a new wall on/off switch coming as well, alll the devices are shown in the app

Where did you see that about the wall switch?
    Can't see anything on the app except the existing buttons/ dimmers/ remotes for lights.

paulbok wrote: »
    Where did you see that about the wall switch?
    Can't see anything on the app except the existing buttons/ dimmers/ remotes for lights.

When you go to add a device it previews them, I also got an ad for the wall sockets in the app a while back (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057910157)

463463.PNG

Rew wrote: »
    463463.PNG

Oh, that's the one on the bottom for the wireless socket, looks like it can be paired to bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gone a bit all-in on this - hub, two dimmers, a remote and a sack of warm white bulbs. Mainly use lamps around the house and had ancient controllable sockets, that were starting to give up the ghost, in one room only.

Pairing a controller with the hub can take an age and it took me a while to realise that after the four flashes you just leave it and it'll probably appear in a few minutes. I would really, really like a web interface not an app to control the hub.

One 1000 lumen bulb just won't pair with anything, not sure if that's a common issue or not, will bring it back. The dimmers are too lightweight I feel and can come off their mounts too easily as well as actually just open up the battery door too easily.

Have found the stock levels in Dublin are very hit and miss and some packages don't actually have stated prices on the shelf edges - and that corner of the shop has awful mobile signal. If anyone sees the sockets or colour bulb on its own in stock I imagine a lot of people would jump on them!

I find the dimmers are terrible for multiple reasons but everything else is fine. Biggest limitation is not being able to do homekit scenes from the buttons on the switches.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned or others have noticed, but I didn't realise that Ikea now have a Wireless Driver/Transformer that works with the Tradfri wireless controls!

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/integrated-lighting/tr%C3%A5dfri-driver-for-wireless-control-grey-art-60342656/

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/integrated-lighting/tr%C3%A5dfri-driver-for-wireless-control-grey-art-50356187/

This is the device that you can plug various Ikea lamps and bookshelf lights and lighting strips into.

This is a pretty cool product and it allows you to add at least basic smart control (on/off/dim) to lots of exiting Ikea lighting systems. A very powerful product.

I wonder can you get it working with Hue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My existing IKEA kitchen under-cabinet LEDs are too old for this (they were the first LED model when they were still selling halogen and flourescent instead; they are dimmable in stages by a button on each unit or centrally with a controller I never bought, I just have on/off)

Two units are dead and I can't get replacements so I was already considering replacing one half of the kitchen to salvage spares for the rest. This may be the answer if I get the remote socket to power on the rest. Hopefully the actual lights are more impervious to steam as I'm fairly sure that's what has killed the old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭steedevaney

bk wrote: »
    I wonder can you get it working with Hue.

I think this is the same as I have the under counter lights connected to. They are working through the hue app alright. Just not with HomeKit, but I’m not sure it can work with both at the same time and I don’t have an ikea hub.

Two weeks on and both wall mounted dimmer wheels have effectively failed - one takes effort to go on, the other takes effort to go off and controlling dimming is near impossible.

As they were bought in kits with bulbs I can't even return them easily so just going to eat the cost and buy remotes instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

If you ring their support they should send out replacements for the defective parts so you don't have to return the whole kit.

The remotes are a lot more reliable, but I mostly use google home these days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Yeah, I've hue throughout the house but grabbed some gu10 tradfri bulbs a while back and couldn't get them to sync with the hue bridge. Then thought I'd just grab the rest of the tradfri stuff to see how it measured up to the hue.

I'd advise folk to save a bit extra and buy hue now tbh! It was fairly seamless in the setup compared to tradfri.

to give the opposite experience, i installed 4 tradfri gu10s in one of my rooms on monday. already have hue in other rooms but not gu10's so decided to try the tradfri. installed them, power cycled 6 times as per instructions, scanned with hue app, found immediately, created a hue and alexa group and now working perfectly, exactly as hue bulbs, at a fraction the price.

absolutely no hesitation in recommending these

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

anyone know if the hue dimmer switch will work with these if they are paired with the hue bridge? i imagine it will but would be good to know someone had it working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I've found that Ikea Tradfri bulbs work very well with Hue but can be tricky to reset and pair. For resetting follow the official ikea video for timings of the on and offs - watch the light
    and not the numbers!

The hue hub found GU10s fairly quickly - not so the the 1000 lumen E27s! In the end I used touchlink on an old iPad (my only apple device) with instant success. As the name suggests the hub and bulb need to be touching so a lamp with a long wire +/- long ethernet cable from the hub to the router might be needed. There's no android touchlink app but apparently there's a Windows version which I haven't tried.

Advertisement