Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rob and Lenny's cross dressing 2018/2019 cyclocross season thread ,

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭SuperSean

Navan didn't have any cash prizes only medals for B race which was perfect.
    I do think with the numbers attending these races lately there should be a more formalised grading system like the road. Get X points to be upgraded to A etc.
    It would also help out with griding for races....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

RobFowl wrote: »
    Getting a bit p*ssed off with some of the ringers entering B races. A champs jersey was at the front in Belfast ans AFAICS the gut who won the B race in Navan not just rode the Ras this year but was 2nd in the A race a couple of years ago.
    Some lads need to cop on to themselves, fooling no one, ruining the racing and also leading to lower fields in the A races where they should be..

Champ in which discipline?
    I know for the races I helped with, we would go through the list of riders in the B race and move them to A if they were deemed good enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Raam wrote: »
    Getting a bit p*ssed off with some of the ringers entering B races. A champs jersey was at the front in Belfast ans AFAICS the gut who won the B race in Navan not just rode the Ras this year but was 2nd in the A race a couple of years ago.
    Some lads need to cop on to themselves, fooling no one, ruining the racing and also leading to lower fields in the A races where they should be..

Champ in which discipline?
    I know for the races I helped with, we would go through the list of riders in the B race and move them to A if they were deemed good enough.

A cross champ (M50)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Weepsie wrote: »
    Do you self declare your category in cyclocross? I imagine you can be a great Cat 1 (A1) racer on road, but brutal on Cyclocross, but given the growing popularity I imagine there should be more formalised grading.

One lad in the B race in Belfast was an Irish age cross champion in his champions skinsuit, in Navan the B race winner was a lad who rode and finished the ras this year and had a 2nd in the A race in Navan from a year or 2 ago....

These are not some guys trying it out for the first time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

I might suggest for our next race on the 2nd December that anyone within Laptime range from the B Race be shunted into the A Race. A bit more work but I wonder what the reaction would be from those riders?

Looking at the A Race laptimes, 6.30ish seems avg across from 10th place down to 15th place.

Then into the B Race only the top 3 broke 7min laps consistently.

• Advertisement

I might suggest for our next race on the 2nd December that anyone within Laptime range from the B Race be shunted into the A Race. A bit more work but I wonder what the reaction would be from those riders?

Looking at the A Race laptimes, 6.30ish seems avg across from 10th place down to 15th place.

Then into the B Race only the top 3 broke 7min laps consistently.

I am a grumpy and tetchy git so take that into account ;)

Navan put on a great race and I've tried to make it clear I've no issue, problem or anything with the organisers. Tehy did, have done and continue to run great races on a maturing and fun course.

I looked at the times down to 10th in the B race and they would all come in around 11th to 15th if they kept up the same pace for an extra lap. I think the B race winner was taking the p*ss entering as he's been 2nd in the A race in 2016 and has a ranking on Procyclingstats from the Ras and Ras Mumhan this year. Thats not the organisers issue, thats the rider's fault completely.

With the numbers I think it's time for the Off road commission to look at some form of ranking in the future. Some riders starting cross should def be allowed ride and win B races but once you get to and above a certain standard sheer pride or common decency at the very least should have them enter the race they should be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

May I interest you in an upgrade to the A race, sir?

Raam wrote: »
    May I interest you in an upgrade to the A race, sir?

Last in one is much the same as last in the other ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Rob, I'm hoping the dedicated musings of a certified B rider might cheer you up. A timely reminder of the Burren CX race this Sunday in Ennis in the sunshine.

http://www.oldvelos.com/a-result-that-matters-burren-racing-teams-ennis-cx-race/

Enjoy

Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Oldcastle cx for next tomorrow. First open race of this season.

• Advertisement

Great racing in oldcastle. First of 4 races the club are promoting. 10euro per race. Where would you get it

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Great racing in oldcastle. First of 4 races the club are promoting. 10euro per race. Where would you get it

Glad you enjoyed it! We're trying to keep the entry low to encourage people to get into the sport. We're not charging anything for kid's & youth races for the same reason.
    It mean's doing our own timing & a league format where prizes are given at the end of the league for each category instead of each race, but you get to race on a good course (I think) and tea/coffee and the odd cake for your €10 so can't be bad.

What did you think of the course? Any feedback, good, bad or indifferent is welcome!

Great coarse. Bit of everything. Excellent value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

My 16 year old rode his first cx race today in Firhouse. Its actually only his second time on the cx bike.
    He stuck it out for the whole race and after the first two laps or so he settled in and started to really enjoy it. His lack of fitness started to catch up with him on the last lap but stayed in for the whole race.
    When he gets some fitness and more confidence he will do well.
    A big thanks is owed to epicmtb for a great event and to the young Swords lad who showed him the ropes on the practice lap.
    I think CX has a new convert!

Here is a pic of him chasing The Tax Man!
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-8ng4cjgi2OUJQk1xTb-h8LaJ3Eh8P0Q/view?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

koutoubia wrote: »
    My 16 year old rode his first cx race today in Firhouse. Its actually only his second time on the cx bike.
    He stuck it out for the whole race and after the first two laps or so he settled in and started to really enjoy it. His lack of fitness started to catch up with him on the last lap but stayed in for the whole race.
    When he gets some fitness and more confidence he will do well.
    A big thanks is owed to epicmtb for a great event and to the young Swords lad who showed him the ropes on the practice lap.
    I think CX has a new convert!

Nice one. He was doing lap times pretty much the same as mine and I'm at it years.:confused:
    Did you give me a shout or two during the race? Heard someone calling my name but didn't recognise the voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Results from today's EPIC MTB cross race in Firhouse, https://goo.gl/uXKzNE

Some great racing including seeing Robin Seymour blast along the course with no front tyre after a tub rolled!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Nice one. He was doing lap times pretty much the same as mine and I'm at it years.:confused:
    Did you give me a shout or two during the race? Heard someone calling my name but didn't recognise the voice.
    Yeah was giving you a bit of encouragement for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

koutoubia wrote: »
    Yeah was giving you a bit of encouragement for sure!

Thanks. Your vision tends to be fixed on the patch of ground in front of your wheel for most of the race. Don't get a chance to see who's shouting encouragement or abuse at me, but I hear it all.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Best time ever on that course for my bike. Because I wasn't riding it!:cool:

Young Koutobia rode very well, fun course and challanging when you pushed hard. Great day for it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Scott Orwell Wheelers are delighted to run our inaugural CycloCross Race in GAP Glencullen on Sunday November 11th 2018.
    The A-Race and Women’s Race will contribute towards the gridding points for the Leinster and National CX Champs.

Announcement Article: Scott Orwell Wheelers CycloCross Race 2018
    Facebook Event: Scott Orwell Wheelers CycloCross Race 2018
    Tweet: by @Orwell_Wheelers

Although the date is pending currently CI Approval, let's just say, leave a GAP in your calendar for November 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

Sounds good! I remember the last race in glencullen, was brilliant fun negotiating the bunkers.. wonder if any left.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Well done to Koutobia Junior!! Impressive first race.

Great news by Orwell. For me Glencullen is the toughest cyclocross circuit I've done. If the set up is like the Nationals it will be a Killer to even get around never mind race. River Valley in swords when they did it was a close second in terms of toughness. Stormount up North also a good test.

Any other suggestions on toughest Cyclocross race circuit in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭SuperSean

detones wrote: »

For me Glencullen is the toughest cyclocross circuit I've done.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. So much much back and forth up the hill ugggggh

detones wrote: »
    Well done to Koutobia Junior!! Impressive first race.

Great news by Orwell. For me Glencullen is the toughest cyclocross circuit I've done. If the set up is like the Nationals it will be a Killer to even get around never mind race. River Valley in swords when they did it was a close second in terms of toughness. Stormount up North also a good test.

Any other suggestions on toughest Cyclocross race circuit in Ireland?

There was one on Bray head a few years back, absolute killer. River valley very very tough esp when muddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

This looks a bit mental

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

py wrote: »
    This looks a bit mental

Rob and I can testify it sure was mental ;-)

Bucket list stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Evening all, Oldcastle CC are holding an open CX race this Sunday 4th Nov.

As there was no other CX race on in Leinster and we were already running our local league we decided to open the race to all. B race had good numbers entered but ladies & A race are too low at the minute to run as separate races so posting here to get the word out.

Entry is only €10 pay on the day and kids & youth race for free also. Good chance to race what will essentially be very similar to the Leinster Champs course.

Pre-reg link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdvDs2N7RgiY__mtXuGgIA_ArzbszqW1LSK0ehiOTZVZ62VAA/viewform?usp=sf_link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭25sean

I'll be there.. gotta get racing in!

Advertisement