Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Paramedic 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

You also need to have your C1 license BEFORE the closing date of the 19th. I find this a bit harsh on people but that's their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

honreal wrote: »
    You also need to have your C1 license BEFORE the closing date of the 19th. I find this a bit harsh on people but that's their choice.

People who are genuinely interested in a career as a Paramedic would have, or should have their research done and be prepared. It's common knowledge since the 2008 recruitment that a C1 Drivers Licence is required when applying. It is also common knowledge that the window for applying is quite tight. In short, one must be well prepared.

The amount of people who have asked me for advice over the years is high, I always advise them to get their C1 licence, the amount of people who fail to do this is also quite high. The majority of those who took advice on getting their licence are now working in the National Ambulance Service as Paramedics, some are now Advanced Paramedics.

The word has been on the street for months now regarding a 2016 recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I am gutted, have only recently finished up a healthcare degree program and plan for the last year was to do paramedics. Have arranged a ride along on a city ambulance and a few other things associated. I got my provisional C1 and D1 licence but have not had the oppertunity to get enough lessons before booking my test :(

Really though if the hse recruited i'd get in with my provisional C1 and Full B license :( no possible way i'd get the test by next week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Would a fetac level 6 in trades be sufficient instead of leaving Cert maths and science ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Does anyone know if having penalty points on your licence is an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

Robbie G wrote: »
    Would a fetac level 6 in trades be sufficient instead of leaving Cert maths and science ?

In short no, well for the last recruitment it didn't suffice! But maybe a quick call to manorhamilton would answer that for you! Is this the first time public jobs haven't been involved in the recruitment process?

shaunac93 wrote: »
    I am gutted, have only recently finished up a healthcare degree program and plan for the last year was to do paramedics. Have arranged a ride along on a city ambulance and a few other things associated. I got my provisional C1 and D1 licence but have not had the oppertunity to get enough lessons before booking my test :(

Really though if the hse recruited i'd get in with my provisional C1 and Full B license :( no possible way i'd get the test by next week :(

You will be a Paramedic soon with DFB! wouldn't get too fussed about this to be honest.

Bang Bang wrote: »
    People who are genuinely interested in a career as a Paramedic would have, or should have their research done and be prepared. It's common knowledge since the 2008 recruitment that a C1 Drivers Licence is required when applying. It is also common knowledge that the window for applying is quite tight. In short, one must be well prepared.

The amount of people who have asked me for advice over the years is high, I always advise them to get their C1 licence, the amount of people who fail to do this is also quite high. The majority of those who took advice on getting their licence are now working in the National Ambulance Service as Paramedics, some are now Advanced Paramedics.

The word has been on the street for months now regarding a 2016 recruitment.

True. No excuses really. If you really want the job you will do everything to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Firerunner

Any ideas what pay is while training as a student paramedic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Firerunner wrote: »
    Any ideas what pay is while training as a student paramedic?

The Salary for the post as at 01.01.2016 is:

€25,702, €27,530, €28,557, €29,770, €30,590, €31,096, €31,902, €32,719, €33,528, €35,147,

€36,640, LSI

Shift and weekend premia payments also apply.

• Advertisement

honreal wrote:
    You will be a Paramedic soon with DFB! wouldn't get too fussed about this to be honest.

I know but it would have been alot more effeciant to go direct hse route rather than through DFB

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

I know but it would have been alot more effeciant to go direct hse route rather than through DFB

You are better off in DFB, straight into a roster after training with a fixed work location. HSE is far from efficient lol

Are you only joining DFB for the paramedic side?

honreal wrote:
    Are you only joining DFB for the paramedic side?

No not at all, initially I had thought about just joining for the paramedic but after the recruitment process and many station visits and research I realised FF really interests me, however I do still feel that down the line I will focus on paramedics alone, but who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Am another one in the C license problem. Wasn't in a position to be able to get the lessons until recently and was hoping the rumour mill about recruitment opening in May/ June was true. Have been having the lessons and was applying for the test this week to hopefully have it by the time recruitment opened. In full-time employment already so not sure I could have taken the salary hit of going back to training but would like to have had the opportunity of the choice to do it as I'd love it. Not to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

carav10 wrote: »
    Am another one in the C license problem. Wasn't in a position to be able to get the lessons until recently and was hoping the rumour mill about recruitment opening in May/ June was true. Have been having the lessons and was applying for the test this week to hopefully have it by the time recruitment opened. In full-time employment already so not sure I could have taken the salary hit of going back to training but would like to have had the opportunity of the choice to do it as I'd love it. Not to be...

I've only just got the C license, still have the pass paper at home. Haven't had the chance to apply for the actually plastic license!!

Will that be OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

I've only just got the C license, still have the pass paper at home. Haven't had the chance to apply for the actually plastic license!!

Will that be OK?

That's fine. Read the form.

Will that be OK?

You will need the actual license for your aptitude test so get it asap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭sjb25

stevie06 wrote: »
    You will need the actual license for your aptitude test so get it asap

Certificate of compancy is fine once it is dated BEFORE the closing date for applications

Great thanks for the replys

Can someone explan the salary........goes from 25k to high 30s but not explanation!!

Currently in the 30s myself so it would be a good drop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Osgood

Great thanks for the replys

Can someone explan the salary........goes from 25k to high 30s but not explanation!!

Currently in the 30s myself so it would be a good drop!

Starts at 25700, increases each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭flix1

So during your training it'll be basic pay, but when you qualify and are out on the road you will get your shift allowances. These can vary depending on the shifts you get rostered. There is the opportunity for OT also and this can really depend on what base you are working out of.

Is there any allowance's for training!

Id love to be a Paramedic but the 10k+ drop would be painful :(

Afraid none that I know of. It's tough no doubt but if you really do want it, you can make it work, but it takes serious committment & sacrifices both personally & financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Did you not get DFB ?

Grahamfire wrote:
    Did you not get DFB ?

I did, more than likely in second class and delighted to have got it! But pure paramedics would have been my first choice! All the same I'm delighted to have got DFB and will be as good a FF/paramedic I can be with them :)

Is there any allowance's for training!

Id love to be a Paramedic but the 10k+ drop would be painful :(

There is a training allowance for placements, it's approx 200 a week if I remember correctly. You only get this on placements away from the training college. Shift allowance and premium pay will be paid from when you start your internship depending on the roster.... Be aware that as a relief you may not get regular premium pay. There is OT available, but as more staff (ie you) come into an area OT will be reduced. When you qualify you will earn anywhere from low 30s to low 40 depending on weekends, late runs, OT and subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭gailgo

hi i would like to know can i apply, i dont have the maths requirement, but i have efr and emt and also c1 licence and a fetec level 5 in pre emergency care am i wasteing my time applying:eek:

gailgo wrote: »
    hi i would like to know can i apply, i dont have the maths requirement, but i have efr and emt and also c1 licence and a fetec level 5 in pre emergency care am i wasteing my time applying:eek:

I don't believe it would be a waste. Why rule yourself out by not applying? If they rule you out, then it's out of your control but don't rule yourself out. You have a level 5 award which is a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Hi guys

Does anyone know if there are any pay benefits or study exemptions for qualified nurses wanting to be paramedics?

Thanks

Advertisement