Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike Vs. Ebike exercise value

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

As someone who would have cycled a lot 20yrs ago and would have been lost with out the use of a bike, ebikes have their uses and I can only hope as prices continue to fall as already mentioned in various posts it will open the minds of people. E-bikes are and will most likely always be in a separate category when compared to the purist of cycling and rightly so as this type of cycling is all about you & the bike. I truly believe if more people embraced the idea of using e-bikes around cities and not getting in the car for all their journeys there would be a lot less angry people. Some people cannot be helped but that's part of life, its a numbers game.

We live in a world that is faster paced and more connected than 30/40yrs ago and this has brought its own issues like people feeling more on edge and complaining of being stressed. I don't know the figures but I am sure GP's have seen huge increases in these areas. My kids often ask what was it like with no internet and reply great. I say to them I would love the tech we have today but the simpler pace of when I was in my 20's

I was given the below Trek bike today on demo loan and like a lot of e-bike first timers amazed at the fun it puts back into cycling. If you liked/like cycling I don't believe e-biking will be a fad and after a couple of weeks it will be gathering dust. I feel it will be the opposite and give you the incentive to get out more.

There must be some bean counter out there working for the Gov who could explain to them if the took the pain now and invested in more dedicated cycle routes and took a fast track approach (not like the BB roll out) it would save them 10's of millions each year on the health budget. Not just from peoples general fitness but there over all well being.

https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/bikes/hybrid-bikes/electric-hybrid-bikes/conduit/conduit/p/17044/?colorCode=black

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

cubix wrote: »
    There must be some bean counter out there working for the Gov who could explain to them if the took the pain now and invested in more dedicated cycle routes and took a fast track approach (not like the BB roll out) it would save them 10's of millions each year on the health budget. Not just from peoples general fitness but there over all well being.

+1

I really think the government needs to open its eyes to the benefit of unlocking utility cycling for the masses, and not just in the cities.

For example. In Dublin I'm talking about commuters from areas like Malahide, Swords, Finglas, Blanchardstown, Clondalkin, Tallaght, Shankill- basically around the M50 and even a bit beyond in some cases.

If, through good infrastructure people could do those journeys safely, and at an average speed of >20kph , many would do a door to door commute in <1hr, (and in some cases signifantly less) time than they currently spend on the bus or in the car.

Basically follow Dutch style policies, like giving bike paths priority through roundabouts, green wave on traffic lights on arterials coming into the city etc etc, in order to achieve higher average travel speeds to open up more areas.

EBikes could certainly play their part to help those for which a journey of 15-20km might just seem a little too daunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, e-bikes have extraordinary potential really.

I mean so many journeys are under 3km anyway:
    https://irishcycle.com/2013/10/10/over-50-of-trips-a-day-in-ireland-are-less-than-3km/

Or under 8km:
    https://irishcycle.com/2015/10/23/forget-electric-cars-or-public-transport-19th-century-technology-best-bet-to-reduce-transport-emissions-in-ireland/

But basically the vast majority of journeys are a single person going on a modest journey with a modest load. If they don't want to get into any kind of sweat, e-bikes are perfect for the vast majority of journeys, and the user as a bonus gets some valuable light exercise, apparently without even realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For short flattish journeys there isn't much objective benefit to an ebike due to exponential wind drag, as a regular bike can be cycled at the same effort but perhaps 10kph slower.

An 8km 30kph cycle takes 16mins, at 20kph it takes 24 mins. If you can turn pedals without breaking a sweat you can do 20kph.

So I seriously doubt ebikes will dent the wall of reasons people choose not to cycle, but who knows.

I don't know; I break a bit of a sweat cycling for an hour, even at about 20km/h on a normal bike. And that journey would be easier and a bit shorter with a pedelec, I assume. Do that three or so times a day and it's a pretty big difference. (I see your point about 8km though.)

Pedelecs do seem to be selling briskly in quite a few places in Europe, and pretty well in Ireland. They seem to be mostly allowing older cyclists to continue and also consuming what was previously the step-through motorbike market.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I don't know; I break a bit of a sweat cycling for an hour, even at about 20km/h on a normal bike. And that journey would be easier and a bit shorter with a pedelec, I assume. Do that three or so times a day and it's a pretty big difference. (I see your point about 8km though.)
    I break a sweat walking for an hour, but I've never heard of someone citing getting sweaty as a reason not to walk to work.

I remember (perhaps incorrectly) Ian Walker tweeting about a 20km walk for pleasure he'd undertaken, and somebody had suggested to him it had been a waste, as he could have done it as a charity walk. People I know seem to feel an hour's walk pretty much falls into that category too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

sheepers wrote: »
    I was thinking going electric, but I really don't want to lose the exercise benefit that I'm getting.

One of the benefits of an ebike is that you get to decide how hard you work. You can adjust the level of motor assist as you go. You can also turn the motor off completely in which case you’ll be getting more exercise then on a standard push bike.

I bought an ebike for leisure a few months ago and I love it. Sometimes I arrive home in a sweat, sometimes I don’t but the option is there to get a decent workout should you want it.

I guess my take is that most people won't walk more than a few km to work (there are exceptions obviously), and some people will cycle that instead, because they know it's easier, but a surprising number of people seem to think cycling is harder than walking or running. I'm not sure why they think it would exist as a transport option were this true, but it does seem to be a thing. E.g.
    https://twitter.com/bikesnobnyc/status/1059477165266345984

Maybe pedelecs won't turn the dial that much (they are more expensive and more attractive to thieves after all), but journeys that are faster and easier than unassisted cycling while still requiring no paperwork and allowing easy parking must have quite a lot of potential to win people over.

Yeah, note also I did use the word "objectively".

By harnessing subjective motivations you can convince people to do anything.

What else explains triathlon?

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    By harnessing subjective motivations you can convince people to do anything.

What else explains triathlon?

l-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

So, I'm neither a triathlete, nor a cyclist(at least in the competitive sense). Could somebody explain the issues one group have with the other?

cletus wrote: »
    So, I'm neither a triathlete, nor a cyclist(at least in the competitive sense). Could somebody explain the issues one group have with the other?

Apart from the ridiculousness of a sport which includes competitive costume changes, most triathletes really aren't that interested in bicycle racing, except as a means to add to their journey of tedious aspirational self-improvement.

Whereas competitive cycling is a pursuit where the participants have come to terms with the futility of it all (a futility grounded in the fact that as a competitive cyclist you're either losing or cheating) and decided to do it anyway, because it's exciting and beautiful and full of surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

Lumen wrote: »
    Apart from the ridiculousness of a sport which includes competitive costume changes, most triathletes really aren't that interested in bicycle racing, except as a means to add to their journey of tedious aspirational self-improvement.

Whereas competitive cycling is a pursuit where the participants have come to terms with the futility of it all (a futility grounded in the fact that as a competitive cyclist you're either losing or cheating) and decided to do it anyway, because it's exciting and beautiful and full of surprises.

Sooo, you're a triathlete??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

cletus wrote: »

Same here, cyclist but not competitive.

I'm pretty relaxed about "The rules" cyclist have around dress code but there had to be some line in the sand.

That and I'd rather be reasonable at one sport that sh1te at three while looking ridiculous

I've actually been avoiding driving through east cork for last month such are the number of lads in sporty wife beaters riding horrible bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

As Duckjob touched on having the right bike infrastructure around cities/ towns as per our European neighbours may even be enough to get people out on their bikes in big numbers on a daily basis. Due to the volume of cars and lack of road space some drivers do not take kindly to cyclist.

I would suggest to everyone if you get the chance to try an E-bike, do it and make your own mind up if its for you. A decent e-bike will set you back about €2K compared to a decent non e-bike commuter €500

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

sheepers wrote: »
    True enough. I wouldn't be the best exerciser and where I live is quite hilly (Cork), so I'm surprised and happy that I am able to manage the hills now without wanting to drop dead. My commute is only 2 miles but I'm venturing a bit further now on weekends, and would like to go on longer treks eventually because I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. I hadn't been on a bike in 20 years!

I suppose my real concern is that this is all lovely and ideal in the dry weather, but will I need something better to keep this up in the winter. My current bike is an old, beat up Carrera Subway that is probably going to start needing things replaced soon anyway.

Your enjoying it, you have pretty much nailed it then. Save the money for the ebike and either use it to keep your current bike in really good nick with regular servicing, or buy a decent road bike and use thalf the price of the ebike to keep that in good nick. Ebikes are great, huge benefits and positives for lots of people, I just don't think you will see any benefit compared to just going the way your going, which seems to be going well so far..

Advertisement